+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,111
    Thanks
    2,897
    Thanked
    3,329
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Do you know her at all? Are you on first name basis? If you are at all friendly I would probably drop in and check if everything is okay first.

    If you don't really know her, then yes I would call the police the next time such an incident occurs (like the one where she locked her daughter out).
    But then she will know it's you if you do report it

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,230
    Thanks
    1,043
    Thanked
    789
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know her at all, and we're moving on Friday, so not terribly concerned about her knowing who has reported it. I'm planning on calling the police to report my concerns. I think that's probably not the first time she's locked her out from what my other neighbour has said - she said she heard similar in winter (in Canberra).
    Were in two separate groups of duplexes. There are about 6 different people/families who could report it. I'd rather not run the risk that no one else has reported it.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,276
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked
    1,109
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would call, unless you tell her you called you wont be at risk by police saying it was you

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to wobblermummy For This Useful Post:

    Tiny Dancer  (11-01-2016)

  5. #14
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,831
    Thanks
    5,049
    Thanked
    4,433
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Hmmm, what was the mum yelling about? Also my DD often asks to go outside to play when I have something to do inside but will go out but scream at me to come outside, so that part wouldn't concern me.

    It would depend on the content of her yelling as to whether I would call anyone. As much as emotional abuse is not on, as far as I am aware it's not an offence to yell at someone unless you are threatening them.

    So yes I personally think calling the police would be over reacting if she wasn't yelling anything threatening to her child.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

    bubbles21  (11-01-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (11-01-2016),Tiny Dancer  (11-01-2016),VicPark  (11-01-2016)

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jerilderie
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked
    519
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    I don't know her at all, and we're moving on Friday, so not terribly concerned about her knowing who has reported it. I'm planning on calling the police to report my concerns. I think that's probably not the first time she's locked her out from what my other neighbour has said - she said she heard similar in winter (in Canberra).
    Were in two separate groups of duplexes. There are about 6 different people/families who could report it. I'd rather not run the risk that no one else has reported it.
    If your moving i would call the police and the childrens help line.

    On the childrens help line give them all the incidents you can recall. Large and small. Your neighbour needs help.

    Shouting and yelling at a child is not on. Yes there are times where a parent may raise their voice in an appropriate manner but what you describe does not sound like that at all.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

    Tiny Dancer  (11-01-2016)

  9. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    520
    Thanked
    713
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would call. Hope the little girl will be okay, poor love.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

    Tiny Dancer  (11-01-2016)

  11. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,230
    Thanks
    1,043
    Thanked
    789
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Hmmm, what was the mum yelling about? Also my DD often asks to go outside to play when I have something to do inside but will go out but scream at me to come outside, so that part wouldn't concern me.

    It would depend on the content of her yelling as to whether I would call anyone. As much as emotional abuse is not on, as far as I am aware it's not an offence to yell at someone unless you are threatening them.

    So yes I personally think calling the police would be over reacting if she wasn't yelling anything threatening to her child.
    To be perfectly honest, most of what the mother is screaming has been unclear - her voice is often distorted by her anger, and she swears so many times in a sentence I can't even follow it. I don't have a problem witg swearing, but feel like swearing like that at a child is unnecessary. I know that she was screaming about how her daughter always has something to whinge about yesterday (the little girl was scared because there was a spider near her) - I was outside doing the washing, and their door was open, so it was clear as day.

    Would you feel like it would be necessary to call if the little girl had been out there in 33 degree heat by herself, and had been crying/screaming for 5 minutes?

  12. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,701
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked
    373
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the fact you are concerned enough to ask means you should call. Go with your gut. Be over cautious than under. X

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElizaDoLittle For This Useful Post:

    SoThisIsLove  (11-01-2016),Tiny Dancer  (11-01-2016)

  14. #19
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,831
    Thanks
    5,049
    Thanked
    4,433
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    To be perfectly honest, most of what the mother is screaming has been unclear - her voice is often distorted by her anger, and she swears so many times in a sentence I can't even follow it. I don't have a problem witg swearing, but feel like swearing like that at a child is unnecessary. I know that she was screaming about how her daughter always has something to whinge about yesterday (the little girl was scared because there was a spider near her) - I was outside doing the washing, and their door was open, so it was clear as day.

    Would you feel like it would be necessary to call if the little girl had been out there in 33 degree heat by herself, and had been crying/screaming for 5 minutes?
    As I wasn't there, I'm not 100% sure but maybe the child went out before she started screaming, she might have accidentally locked the door or the kid couldn't reach the handle and the mum was in the toilet or couldn't hear her???

    I'm just throwing out innocent possibilities. 33 degrees to me isn't scorching.

    But if you hear her yelling at her daughter to go outside, then she opened the door and closed it behind her - that's a different story. If that didn't happen there's probably 50 explanations for what she did.

    I just think in my mind, as awful as it is for kids to be yelled at, if they're not being called names or not being threatened, the police can't really do much about it.

    Either way though.... poor child.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

    Tiny Dancer  (11-01-2016)

  16. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,953
    Thanks
    3,680
    Thanked
    1,949
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep call.

    You never know. You would feel awful if something happened to this little girl and u didnt act. Too much in the news lately where children are being harmed by their parents. Id like to know id done everything i could to prevent an outcome like that xx


 

Similar Threads

  1. What will he call me?
    By Notananny in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 30-07-2015, 11:43
  2. Do I call?
    By rainbow road in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 19:03
  3. What do you call these?
    By SpecialPatrolGroup in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2015, 22:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Springfree Trampoline
Give the Ultimate Christmas Gift Springfree Trampoline
The World's Safest Trampoline™ is now also the world's first Smart Trampoline™. Sensors on the mat detect your every move and your jumps control fun, educational and active games on tablet. Secure the Ultimate Christmas Gift today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Baby Monitors
Looking to buy a baby monitor? :: Read viewer reviews of baby monitors BEFORE you buy :: Buy at a local or online Baby Nursery Shop
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!