+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default How long until it "clicked"

How long did you spend TTing your LO until it "clicked" and they learned the cue to go to the toilet before an accident occurred?

DD is 27 months and we started yesterday, so I know it's early on. But I'm using the 3 day method- we have no crutches, I'm asking her to tell me when she needs to go rather than asking her all the time IF she needs to go, so she doesn't become dependent on me reminding her all the time...

.. but we haven't had a single success or even be close to success yet. I don't care one iota about the flooring in this house, so it's no big deal really. It would just be nice from having to trail her around the house everywhere!

Obviously I've been through TT before, but my boys are 7 and we forget so much..!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The 3 day method did not work for my DS. At all. I tried when he was 2 and then gave up as it was clear it just wasn't happening. Then when he was 3 I tried again. It took about 6 months then for it to click. Not a fun time. And nothing I did helped speed it up. Even now, he's not perfect with toileting.

My DD on the other hand just announced when she was 3 that she didn't want nappies and was toilet trained just like that. No effort on my part.

So its very variable from my (limited) experience.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Dd2 was 3. 6 months after that she was dry at nights. We followed her lead as to when she was ready and kept encouraging her from the time she was 18 months/2 years. When she did decide she was ready that was it. No nappies during the day, no accidents easy peasy. it all just clicked one day without any extra trying. Except she still needs help wiping poos. She flat out refuses to do it because it is yukky. She just Turned 4.

Dd1 on the other was different. She started early but took forever to her the hang of it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-01-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I personally believe (based on my experience) that they learn from their "mistakes" and that's what worked for us; after having many an accident it clicks. They hate it as much as we do. My main thing is consistency. Don't put them back in nappies (where possible) once you start training. Be prepared for accidents and persevere. I can't say exactly how long it took, maybe a couple of weeks of straight solid no nappies during the day, undies on first thing in the morning and potty accessible at all times.
    It's such a draining process!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 11-01-2016 at 14:20.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-01-2016)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    It *is* so draining, that's the only part I hate! We are definitely not going back to nappies; I have pull ups for her at night but I've told her (like I told my boys) they are special night knickers, and to try and not wee in them. So I still ask if she needs to tell me to go to the toilet after her bath, and right up until she is in bed- but during the night she doesn't even know she is weeing and she needs her sleep.
    Then as soon as she is up in the morning it's straight back into knickers.

I guess we just keep going then. *sigh* *yawn*

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (11-01-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    It *is* so draining, that's the only part I hate! We are definitely not going back to nappies; I have pull ups for her at night but I've told her (like I told my boys) they are special night knickers, and to try and not wee in them. So I still ask if she needs to tell me to go to the toilet after her bath, and right up until she is in bed- but during the night she doesn't even know she is weeing and she needs her sleep.
    Then as soon as she is up in the morning it's straight back into knickers.

I guess we just keep going then. *sigh* *yawn*
    We used pull ups at night for a quite a while. A few months, maybe more, even though she was fully day trained. It wasn't until she waking up dry every day that I took her out of them completely. We had times where I thought she was ready for undies at night but would then regress so I continued to use them on and off. I wasn't worried about the night training so much; I feel once they get toilet training down pat they will naturally recognise the urge and start asking for the toilet at night, even in a pull up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never actively toilet trained my kids (just did toilet awareness), so it clicked right away, because they told me when they were ready, and they were ready. All toilet trained by the time they were three. Only one night trained not long after day training, but there's a family history of late bed wetters and every health professional I asked just told me it would happen and to be patient...and it did.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both mine have bee late TTers. DS was 3 I think. Tried a few times, no success, gave up for a while. When he did get it, it happened pretty much overnight.

3yo DD I had been trying on and off for a year. No success. She'd scream at me if I asked, didn't care if she wet her pants and it was a nightmare each time I gave it a go. I had tried all the books, stickers, bribes etc etc. Nup. This last time a few weeks ago, she just clicked. I bought a pack that had a book, stickers and chart and just told her she had to try if she wanted to go to school (starts kindy in a few weeks). Once she did that first wee, that was it. A couple of accidents, but they were because she hurt herself on the way/in there and was crying. Apart from that, we haven't looked back. Took a few weeks convincing for no 2's, but she's been good with those this past week too.

Hang in there. I just kept telling myself she wouldn't be 16 and still in nappies.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't aware of the 'three day method' but my DD was actually trained in 3 days. And I don't really feel I 'trained' her either...just lots of talking about undies and how great they are, and that she'd get to wear them once she was 3 (I'd tried training after 2.5 but she wasn't interested or ready). She seemed to be cool with it so just after 3 we went cold turkey, no nappies during the day and by the third day it clicked, day and night.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to amcyus For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS took 3days at 2.5yrs, DD took 3days at 2yrs 11mths.
    They were both relatively easy once they were ready. We had tried beforehand one one occasion each but clearly weren't ready.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-01-2016)