+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I didn't think to be honest- DSS was freaking out so I just asked them to leave and contact the agent so I could deal with him. We had a frickin' horrid night, OMG.

Agent finally got in touch, and yep it was the owner. She said she will talk to them about privacy and access notice.
    surely he's got to be aware of tenants rights and his obligations as a landlord to give the required notice though? like I get he owns the property but you as the tenants have a right to quiet enjoyment of the property, privacy etc. he can't just show up and go strolling through whenever he likes!?

I hope the property manager was firm with him, although knowing most property managers, I'm guessing not.

God I don't miss renting!! it always feels like such a fight to have your rights respected!

our old landlord was apparently a bit of a "strong personality" and our property manage was scared to upset him. really annoyed us as we're paying rent and don't care if he gets annoyed! we just wanted a property that worked for the money we were paying (garage door controller kept dying and the manager served hesitant to put pressure on the owner to come help us fix it!?).

hope things improve for you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Spoke to the agent again this morning, who again apologised.

Apparently the woman (she is the one who wandered onto the property, the man and child stayed on the front porch) is the owner.
    She said she definitely knows it's not allowed and they have no idea why she was there and she is not saying.

Agent said they are having lots of difficulties with getting them to do their part- putting in aircon was a condition of our lease, cleaning mould, fixing toilets and replacing taps.
    Basically she doesn't want to do any of it.

I told the agent to tell her that either the toilets and taps get fixed, as our water bill is nuts, or the owners become responsible for the water bill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like you've got a dud landlord there @DT75

I hope it's smoother sailing once all the issues get finally rectified.

She has some nerve snooping around the property the way she did.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Californication  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Make sure you've got written records of all of this including delays in fixing broken items in case you end up having to break lease at some stage.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Californication  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    Make sure you've got written records of all of this including delays in fixing broken items in case you end up having to break lease at some stage.
    Yes, this! I'd also start emailing instead of calling where possible so there's documentation of your dealings with the real estate.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Californication  (14-01-2016),Nemmi1987  (14-01-2016),Tinkers  (14-01-2016),Wise Enough  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Yes, this! I'd also start emailing instead of calling where possible so there's documentation of your dealings with the real estate.
    And use official forms whenever you can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    And use official forms whenever you can.
    e
    and get a photo copy every time, my r/e lost a bond transfer I filled in so the bond was never transfered, wasnt a massive deal as I moved back into my currrent house but it coculdve ended badly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I always contact via email, as I just cannot understand them on the phone.

Update: got an email yesterday confirming that we can shop down a tree near lounge window (it's more of a vine really), and that they are putting an exhaust fan in the bathroom to help with mould.
    However they also said "we noticed the grass is getting out of hand, please remedy this".

I responded with a thanks for the tree, and some questions about exhaust (surely they need to remove the mould first and waterproof the bathroom?). And then asked how/when they noticed the grass as we haven't had an inspection.

Surely they cannot make comments on our upkeep due to an illegal visit?

Nevermind the fact that they know we were away for 2 weeks, it was raining and then over 35 when we got back, and now raining again- so when exactly was it to be done?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    They can, part of the job is doing regular curb side "drive bys" to see if the exterior of the house is in reasonable condition and tidy ( part of the lease) ,plus we get lots of complaints from neighbours about yards and pets so often we would drive by and notice the lawns/gardens/rubbish everywhere and can send a request plus yes tradesmen have given us the heads up about damage or lawn maintenance, our plumber once went to fix a toilet and there was obviously a fire as part of the carpet in the lounge was burnt and the walls damaged but they never told us!

We know the majority of tenants do have time issues and will get around to the lawns , especially holiday times, but we'd get slammed from the owners for not being on top of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    They can, part of the job is doing regular curb side "drive bys" to see if the exterior of the house is in reasonable condition and tidy ( part of the lease) ,plus we get lots of complaints from neighbours about yards and pets so often we would drive by and notice the lawns/gardens/rubbish everywhere and can send a request plus yes tradesmen have given us the heads up about damage or lawn maintenance, our plumber once went to fix a toilet and there was obviously a fire as part of the carpet in the lounge was burnt and the walls damaged but they never told us!

We know the majority of tenants do have time issues and will get around to the lawns , especially holiday times, but we'd get slammed from the owners for not being on top of it
    The part that can be seen via a "drive by" is fine- H looks after that himself. It's the backyard they meant and that is at the end of a 50m drive and around a corner. No way they could see it. And no tradie has been near it either.

And it's like 5cm longer than it should be...

ETA: previous wasn't clear- the message was sent from the owner via the agent. So it's something she 'noticed' that day she came in for a wander.