+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Is this legal?

Quote Originally Posted by jna99 View Post
    I don't want to get off on the wrong foot. I realise it is a forum but the OP asked for advice on whether the landlords actions were legal. Not whether she'd be better off using her $10k as a house deposit!
    You can't go on a public forum, tell your story and then pick and chose what part of that story people comment on. Unrealistic.

Putting constraints on what people can offer advice on could be dangerous. What if someone couldn't see they were at risk of domestic abuse or something else, yet people on the forum couldn't say anything as the poster only asked for opinions on what they should cook their partner for dinner.

Yes there is a fair bit of difference between DV and sinking $10,000 into a rental property. However I think as long as the opinion comes from a place if care and concern there is a valid place for people expressing reservations about both whether or not the poster asked for opinions.
    Last edited by VicPark; 16-01-2016 at 18:58.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

alliecat89  (16-01-2016),ChatlotteA  (19-01-2016),kiwimum890  (16-01-2016),sunnyflower  (16-01-2016),TheGooch  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You can't go on a public forum, tell your story and then pick and chose what part of that story people comment on. Unrealistic.

Putting constraints on what people can offer advice on could be dangerous. What if someone couldn't see they were at risk of domestic abuse or something else, yet people on the forum couldn't say anything as the poster only asked for opinions on what they should cook their partner for dinner.

Yes there is a fair bit of difference between DV and sinking $10,000 into a rental property. However I think as long as the opinion comes from a place if care and concern there is a valid place for people expressing reservations about both whether or not the poster asked for opinions.
    this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

While I agree, to an extent. Their is a world of difference between, "I wouldn't put that much into a rental" an asking follow up questions, and saying someone's decision is dumb (without knowing all the facts) just because it is not what you would do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    While I agree, to an extent. Their is a world of difference between, "I wouldn't put that much into a rental" an asking follow up questions, and saying someone's decision is dumb (without knowing all the facts) just because it is not what you would do.
    I agree here. Not everyone who rents are doing so because they can't afford to buy and are saving for a deposit. They are not dumb for spending the money, they just have different values.
    I struggled to get a rental as I had no rental history, was living in another city and have a dog. So I took what I could get. And spent some $$ (maybe $2K) making the place a bit nicer as I spend a lot of time at home (on mat leave) and am quite house proud. Not sure how that's dumb. Spending money on what makes one happy is a good investment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    . Spending money on what makes one happy is a good investment.
    True.. However if you are spending money on something you will likely not keep then it's someone else's investment you are making good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Is this legal?

Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    True. Dumb probably wasn't very polite. However I do think posters should be able to go beyond 'I wouldn't put that much into a rental' towards 'I can't believe you did that why did you do that?.'

It's $10,000 not $10.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (16-01-2016),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    True.. However if you are spending money on something you will likely not keep then it's someone else's investment you are making good.
    The same could be said for a nice dinner out or a holiday, they don't last forever. It's still an investment in your happiness for the time that you're living in the house.

Anyway, different people have different financial values.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

DT75  (17-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A little off topic and probably belongs in the 'not so serious vent thread' but as I did make the house I'm renting look amazing it bloody sold today and the new owners want to live in it so won't be renewing my lease. Oh the irony! Even the agent was like wow you've done a great job with this place. Apparently when it was up for sale previously the owners left it looking like crap for the open and it didn't sell. So ummm maybe I should eat my words and it is dumb after all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree here. Not everyone who rents are doing so because they can't afford to buy and are saving for a deposit. They are not dumb for spending the money, they just have different values.
    I struggled to get a rental as I had no rental history, was living in another city and have a dog. So I took what I could get. And spent some $$ (maybe $2K) making the place a bit nicer as I spend a lot of time at home (on mat leave) and am quite house proud. Not sure how that's dumb. Spending money on what makes one happy is a good investment.
    Yupp this. We are waiting because we want to build in a specific area and are waiting for the land we want to become available.
    In the meantime, we could spend up to 5 years here. Most of the money went on painting to be honest- and we are really really happy with it, as we got to paint what we wanted.
    So it adds value to something we don't own? At lease we have made it livable for ourselves (OCD and bipolar H).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    True. Dumb probably wasn't very polite. However I do think posters should be able to go beyond 'I wouldn't put that much into a rental' towards 'I can't believe you did that why did you do that?.'

It's $10,000 not $10.
    Meh see I'm fine with them going there, and will happily answer, as I have done.
    I'll be honest, and probably even more shocking, we were expecting to spend 20K but I got the owner to agree to look after a good bit themselves.

A little off topic and probably belongs in the 'not so serious vent thread' but as I did make the house I'm renting look amazing it bloody sold today and the new owners want to live in it so won't be renewing my lease. Oh the irony! Even the agent was like wow you've done a great job with this place. Apparently when it was up for sale previously the owners left it looking like crap for the open and it didn't sell. So ummm maybe I should eat my words and it is dumb after all
    I would be proud of myself for that! We lived in an old rental a few years back and if I had had the money to put into it, I would have as the owners were a lovely old couple and one of them got sick and they needed cash desperately so wanted to sell... I did what I could in "decorative repairs" but if I could have even painted it like we did here, it would have added much more to their cashflow.