+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jna99 View Post
    I'm only new here and haven't posted much but must say I'm very surprised at how many people are trying to tell the OP what she 'should' be doing. She is obviously comfortable spending that amount of money on the rental so good on her. OP I hope you don't feel you need to justify your actions to anyone.
    This is a forum. This is what we do here. People ask advice and are given opinions and advice. They are free to take onboard what they wish. But anyway welcome to Bubhub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    This is a forum. This is what we do here. People ask advice and are given opinions and advice. They are free to take onboard what they wish. But anyway welcome to Bubhub.
    Nice (and passive aggressive) welcome.

OPs original post relates to the questionable actions of her landlord, she did not ask anyone's opinion or advice regarding her financial decisions. Often times people can feel under "attack" and not just take on board what they wish.

In saying that OP appears (from previous posts) to be quite resilient and wouldn't be bothered much by being told that her input to the rental is dumb.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

DT75  (16-01-2016),jna99  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I don't want to get off on the wrong foot. I realise it is a forum but the OP asked for advice on whether the landlords actions were legal. Not whether she'd be better off using her $10k as a house deposit!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jna99 For This Useful Post:

DT75  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post

OPs original post relates to the questionable actions of her landlord, she did not ask anyone's opinion or advice regarding her financial decisions. Often times people can feel under "attack" and not just take on board what they wish.

In saying that OP appears (from previous posts) to be quite resilient and wouldn't be bothered much by being told that her input to the rental is dumb.
    It does add a bit more context to the situation though.

In the example of the property manager ringing to say that the aircon guy was coming in 10 minutes, I can see how that could be though as somewhat "reasonable" seeing as OP has requested that aircon be fitted and is paying for half of it.

Little bit different to a tradesman or someone else coming to the house for a reason that you haven't requested or have no benefit from.

Also in the fact that OP has paid significant money to get mould removed (which the landlord should have done before the moved in), makes me think that the property manager/landlord probably think they can get push the boundaries and get away with a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by jna99 View Post
    I'm only new here and haven't posted much but must say I'm very surprised at how many people are trying to tell the OP what she 'should' be doing. She is obviously comfortable spending that amount of money on the rental so good on her. OP I hope you don't feel you need to justify your actions to anyone.
    Thanks. People were a little OTT I feel, but they don't know our story (although that should probably be obvious when commenting too) and I know the majority are only trying to help.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

jna99  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    It does add a bit more context to the situation though.

In the example of the property manager ringing to say that the aircon guy was coming in 10 minutes, I can see how that could be though as somewhat "reasonable" seeing as OP has requested that aircon be fitted and is paying for half of it.

Little bit different to a tradesman or someone else coming to the house for a reason that you haven't requested or have no benefit from.

Also in the fact that OP has paid significant money to get mould removed (which the landlord should have done before the moved in), makes me think that the property manager/landlord probably think they can get push the boundaries and get away with a bit.

This was an extra quote after the fact though, so was unnecessary and an inconvenience. They said they'd have 3 people over asap so I made sure they had access (and they gave several hours notice). This random 10 minute notice guy was a fourth.

ETA: we haven't paid for them to remove any mould.
    And whether or not what I say gives context, calling my decisions dumb is not okay.
    Last edited by DT75; 16-01-2016 at 17:39.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

jna99  (16-01-2016),Olive Oil  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wish you moved into my rental property OP!

Sorry just a question, if you go halvies in the A/C, who gets to keep it at the end of the lease?

I'm all for doing what you need to, I think some of us are wary as the landlords have proven themselves to be loose cannons.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Californication  (16-01-2016),DT75  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post

Sorry just a question, if you go halvies in the A/C, who gets to keep it at the end of the lease?

I'm all for doing what you need to, I think some of us are wary as the landlords have proven themselves to be loose cannons.
    We have an agreement that if we stay for 5 years, or more, the landlord can keep it. If we leave, or are asked to leave (for any reason), we keep it.

ETA: we have this in writing and notarised independently. Our landlord does seem like a bit of a loose cannon too...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (16-01-2016),Californication  (16-01-2016),Wise Enough  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is this legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post

I agree.

I didn't say anything about the money, but I was thinking it may not have been the best decision in a new property, especially given what the LL has now done. We have put a bit of money in to this place too - probably $3k in 2 years for retic repairs because DH just goes and does it, and to put a bigger fire in, fixing the pump and other minor repairs - so I do get putting money in to a rental to make what you want more appealing/achievable to the LL. I just personally wouldn't have put that much in with a place I'd been in 3 months. I think that's why people are scratching their heads. It's a lot of $$!!

Eta - given the info in the post above, that's not so bad! Good thinking with that one.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

DT75  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I agree.

I didn't say anything about the money, but I was thinking it may not have been the best decision in a new property, especially given what the LL has now done. We have put a bit of money in to this place too - probably $3k in 2 years for retic repairs because DH just goes and does it, and to put a bigger fire in, fixing the pump and other minor repairs - so I do get putting money in to a rental to make what you want more appealing/achievable to the LL. I just personally wouldn't have put that much in with a place I'd been in 3 months. I think that's why people are scratching their heads. It's a lot of $$!!

Eta - given the info in the post above, that's not so bad! Good thinking with that one.
    It is a lot of money, I get that. But seeing as they are willing to replace the porch for us in a year...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (16-01-2016)