+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 112
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    8,544
    Thanks
    1,351
    Thanked
    2,307
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jna99 View Post
    I'm only new here and haven't posted much but must say I'm very surprised at how many people are trying to tell the OP what she 'should' be doing. She is obviously comfortable spending that amount of money on the rental so good on her. OP I hope you don't feel you need to justify your actions to anyone.
    This is a forum. This is what we do here. People ask advice and are given opinions and advice. They are free to take onboard what they wish. But anyway welcome to Bubhub.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    520
    Thanked
    713
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    This is a forum. This is what we do here. People ask advice and are given opinions and advice. They are free to take onboard what they wish. But anyway welcome to Bubhub.
    Nice (and passive aggressive) welcome.

    OPs original post relates to the questionable actions of her landlord, she did not ask anyone's opinion or advice regarding her financial decisions. Often times people can feel under "attack" and not just take on board what they wish.

    In saying that OP appears (from previous posts) to be quite resilient and wouldn't be bothered much by being told that her input to the rental is dumb.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

    DT75  (16-01-2016),jna99  (16-01-2016)

  4. #93
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked
    12
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    This is a forum. This is what we do here. People ask advice and are given opinions and advice. They are free to take onboard what they wish. But anyway welcome to Bubhub.
    I don't want to get off on the wrong foot. I realise it is a forum but the OP asked for advice on whether the landlords actions were legal. Not whether she'd be better off using her $10k as a house deposit!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to jna99 For This Useful Post:

    DT75  (16-01-2016)

  6. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    205
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post

    OPs original post relates to the questionable actions of her landlord, she did not ask anyone's opinion or advice regarding her financial decisions. Often times people can feel under "attack" and not just take on board what they wish.

    In saying that OP appears (from previous posts) to be quite resilient and wouldn't be bothered much by being told that her input to the rental is dumb.
    It does add a bit more context to the situation though.

    In the example of the property manager ringing to say that the aircon guy was coming in 10 minutes, I can see how that could be though as somewhat "reasonable" seeing as OP has requested that aircon be fitted and is paying for half of it.

    Little bit different to a tradesman or someone else coming to the house for a reason that you haven't requested or have no benefit from.

    Also in the fact that OP has paid significant money to get mould removed (which the landlord should have done before the moved in), makes me think that the property manager/landlord probably think they can get push the boundaries and get away with a bit.

  7. #95
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    1,822
    Thanked
    1,423
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by jna99 View Post
    I'm only new here and haven't posted much but must say I'm very surprised at how many people are trying to tell the OP what she 'should' be doing. She is obviously comfortable spending that amount of money on the rental so good on her. OP I hope you don't feel you need to justify your actions to anyone.
    Thanks. People were a little OTT I feel, but they don't know our story (although that should probably be obvious when commenting too) and I know the majority are only trying to help.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

    jna99  (16-01-2016)

  9. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    1,822
    Thanked
    1,423
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    It does add a bit more context to the situation though.

    In the example of the property manager ringing to say that the aircon guy was coming in 10 minutes, I can see how that could be though as somewhat "reasonable" seeing as OP has requested that aircon be fitted and is paying for half of it.

    Little bit different to a tradesman or someone else coming to the house for a reason that you haven't requested or have no benefit from.

    Also in the fact that OP has paid significant money to get mould removed (which the landlord should have done before the moved in), makes me think that the property manager/landlord probably think they can get push the boundaries and get away with a bit.

    This was an extra quote after the fact though, so was unnecessary and an inconvenience. They said they'd have 3 people over asap so I made sure they had access (and they gave several hours notice). This random 10 minute notice guy was a fourth.

    ETA: we haven't paid for them to remove any mould.
    And whether or not what I say gives context, calling my decisions dumb is not okay.
    Last edited by DT75; 16-01-2016 at 17:39.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

    jna99  (16-01-2016),Olive Oil  (16-01-2016)

  11. #97
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,117
    Thanks
    2,909
    Thanked
    3,332
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wish you moved into my rental property OP!

    Sorry just a question, if you go halvies in the A/C, who gets to keep it at the end of the lease?

    I'm all for doing what you need to, I think some of us are wary as the landlords have proven themselves to be loose cannons.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

    Californication  (16-01-2016),DT75  (16-01-2016)

  13. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    1,822
    Thanked
    1,423
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Wish you moved into my rental property OP!

    Sorry just a question, if you go halvies in the A/C, who gets to keep it at the end of the lease?

    I'm all for doing what you need to, I think some of us are wary as the landlords have proven themselves to be loose cannons.
    We have an agreement that if we stay for 5 years, or more, the landlord can keep it. If we leave, or are asked to leave (for any reason), we keep it.

    ETA: we have this in writing and notarised independently. Our landlord does seem like a bit of a loose cannon too...

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

    amyd  (16-01-2016),Californication  (16-01-2016),Wise Enough  (16-01-2016)

  15. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    6,643
    Thanks
    3,135
    Thanked
    3,028
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Is this legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Wish you moved into my rental property OP!

    Sorry just a question, if you go halvies in the A/C, who gets to keep it at the end of the lease?

    I'm all for doing what you need to, I think some of us are wary as the landlords have proven themselves to be loose cannons.
    I agree.

    I didn't say anything about the money, but I was thinking it may not have been the best decision in a new property, especially given what the LL has now done. We have put a bit of money in to this place too - probably $3k in 2 years for retic repairs because DH just goes and does it, and to put a bigger fire in, fixing the pump and other minor repairs - so I do get putting money in to a rental to make what you want more appealing/achievable to the LL. I just personally wouldn't have put that much in with a place I'd been in 3 months. I think that's why people are scratching their heads. It's a lot of $$!!

    Eta - given the info in the post above, that's not so bad! Good thinking with that one.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

    DT75  (16-01-2016)

  17. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    1,822
    Thanked
    1,423
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I agree.

    I didn't say anything about the money, but I was thinking it may not have been the best decision in a new property, especially given what the LL has now done. We have put a bit of money in to this place too - probably $3k in 2 years for retic repairs because DH just goes and does it, and to put a bigger fire in, fixing the pump and other minor repairs - so I do get putting money in to a rental to make what you want more appealing/achievable to the LL. I just personally wouldn't have put that much in with a place I'd been in 3 months. I think that's why people are scratching their heads. It's a lot of $$!!

    Eta - given the info in the post above, that's not so bad! Good thinking with that one.
    It is a lot of money, I get that. But seeing as they are willing to replace the porch for us in a year...

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

    Californication  (16-01-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Legal Advice- who from?
    By DT75 in forum Step-parents / Blended families
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-10-2015, 14:48
  2. Staircase- legal requirements qld
    By SheWarrior in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-09-2015, 15:10
  3. Legal movie downloads/hire
    By 2BlueBirds in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-06-2015, 21:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Unique, non-toxic wooden eco toys for babies. Water-based paints, saliva-resistant & baby safe. Super soft, prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton. Hypoallergenic - great for eczema relief. FREE gift with purchase. Code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car Restraints
Buying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!