+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Is this legal?

So I was sitting having breakfast in the lounge and glance out the window and see a woman walk down our drive to the backyard.
    Kids are out the back so I go around the front so as not to startle them and there is a man and little girl on the porch.
    Says he is the owner and want to "look around".

I said "Oh noone notified us that you were coming. Does the agent know? I have two kids here so it's not the best time."

He said sorry, asked how long we had been here and left.

Kids are freaked out as a strange woman wandered into "our" yard while they were playing.

Text H and he just said "hmm be nice they are the owners".
    I get that, I was nice. But surely this isn't ok??

Thanks
    Reviews
    No it's definitely not ok and I would be phoning your real estate to make a complaint.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (15-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Is this legal?

oh god, typical male response.

no, definitely not ok. owner or otherwise, they need to adhere to the rules of giving sufficient notice to access the property.

I'd be calling the property manager and querying wtf is going on and was it really the owner and if so, wtf he's doing on the property without the required notice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    No it's definitely not ok and I would be phoning your real estate to make a complaint.
    Yeps I agree.

Another thought - what's the proof that they are even the owners? Anyone could just rock up and saying "hey I'm the owner" to you as a way to gain access to the house/yard etc.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (15-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know about laws in Australia but in the uk you have to give at least 24hours notice to the tenants if you want access to the property (I assume this would also apply to the grounds). So I think it sounds illegal to me and I would bring it up with the estate agent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How would you even know if they are really the owners?
    That is trespassing and definitely an illegal invasion of your privacy. Call the agents

10. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

zoz  (12-01-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This isn't legal. And they would know that. Call the agent asap and if you are worried about "complaining" about the owners, specify that you want the agent to call them to check it actually WAS them, say that it made you very anxious as they could have been complete strangers for all you know.
    Yeah, not on at all.

ETA - @Elijahs Mum
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 11-01-2016 at 09:56.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-01-2016),ChatlotteA  (12-01-2016),DT75  (11-01-2016),HeavenBlue  (12-01-2016),VicPark  (15-01-2016),Wise Enough  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds really suss to me- if they are the owners, surely they would know how long you had been there?

Fairly sure its not legal for people (including owners) to just rock up unannounced. There are minimum time frames that need to be given in written form regardless of who it is entering the property. We used to rent off my uncle (through a real estate), and even he had to give written notification if he wanted to enter the property.

Maybe call the RTA and speak with them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd contact your Agent. Different states have different rules as far as how much notice they have to give prior to attending your property, but as far as I'm aware they all have to give some form of notice!

Yes, he is the owner. But as a tenant you still have rights and he has an obligation to abide by the relevant residential tenancy act.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I don't know about laws in Australia but in the uk you have to give at least 24hours notice to the tenants if you want access to the property (I assume this would also apply to the grounds). So I think it sounds illegal to me and I would bring it up with the estate agent.
    It's the same in Aust.