+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    One or two items, possibly, but not a basket. As it is I'm trying to get through quickly with an impatient 4 year old so I don't need it to take any longer than it already will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I let people go ahead of me if they've only got a few items. A full hand basket -no, there can be a lot of stuff in there. And I haven't had the situation arise since self check out became popular.

Anyway, these days I'm usually the one with the hand basket rather than a trolley because I shop almost daily for fresh fruit and veg. No one ever waves me ahead and I wouldn't expect it - if there's a queue for check out I'll go to self service.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    If I was on my own without my kids and the person behind me either had kids or were old (old enough to not understand self serve checkouts) I would let them through but only if they had a heck of a lot less groceries. So if I had say 40 items and they had 15, I wouldn't let them through.

But if I had my kids with me, the person behind seemed capable of using a self serve checkout (I know this means judging a book by it's cover), I wouldn't let them through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meh I've never let people through. I thought it was generally understood that a queue works on a first come first served basis? :-/

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

alliecat89  (10-01-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (10-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't expect to be let through unless I had a screaming kid with me or I felt sick or something like that...
    Sometimes if I'm shopping without the kids I like to take my time and might line up in a slow check out on purpose lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (10-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    What alliecat89 said. I never let people through and I've never thought to; I've never been let through either. As far as I'm concerned you line up and wait your turn, that's how the supermarket works.
    This is me. That's what the 12 items of less checkout is for anyway.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

ChatlotteA  (11-01-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (10-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope I don't let people through. If they're silly enough to get in line behind someone with a full trolley even though there's other checkouts available, then that's their own fault!
    The only time I would ever consider it is if there was only the one checkout open, like late at night.

What gets me (it's only happened twice to me) is when I am unloading my trolley and one of these handbasket people comes up and ASKS if they can go ahead of me. So rude IMO.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Possie7  (10-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did this the other day. The guy lined up behind us when we had a massive trolley full and this guys had one item. Self serve was empty! I thought are you for real?! Then I let him through because there was no way I could watch him stand there with one item while we loaded ours on. Too uncomfortable! He was very thankful but geez!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would only offer for someone to go in front of me if they were elderly, or if they seemed to be having difficulty in some way (such as a disability). An able-bodied person - I probably wouldn't even think of it. A mother with a tantrumming toddler - well, I almost always have my 3 children shopping, so it would be hard to hear the noise of her children over my own! But someone elderly - absolutely. I always try to 'look out' for elderly people & make sure they are ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never pay attention to the people behind me. Our Coles has heaps of self serve and basket only in addition to 12 items or less so I doubt it's an
    Issue.

On the flip side I was recently in Aldi near work. I had 2 items for a work function. They opened a new register and the guy in front of me with a full trolley nearly bowled me over trying to get to it first. His wife came back and saw me with my two packets of biscuits and made him let me go first. He wasn't going to. She repeated to him to let me through as I had only 2 things. I was so grateful as I was on work time and needed to be as quick as possible.