+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He can take me to court if he likes, I won't be denying him access but I certainly won't let him come over whenever he feels like it. and for 2 hours at a time

Thanks
    Reviews
    A quiet word from someone who has watched her DH go through the Court process fairly recently....

If possible, I believe it is always preferable to be able to come to an amicable agreement. I know that is not always easy in light of pre-existing relationship issues, but you would hope in the end both parties would ultimately want what is in the child's best interests, and put their own interests aside. A mutual agreement can still be presented to the Court for approval, and may suit you both better than what the Court would otherwise dictate.

Also, a little something to keep in mind... A Court order means that (A) While he may not get the agreement he is seeking, you might not necessarily end up with the arrangements/conditions that you want either, and (B) You, as well as he, will be legally bound by it.

I wish you all the best in navigating what can be a very tricky situation.

Blossom
    Last edited by Blossom74; 10-01-2016 at 14:53.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

MissMetal  (10-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Seeing as the baby is not here yet id not pay too much attention to it at the moment.
    No point in arguing access over a child who is not born yet.

He cant do anything legal wise until the bub is born & even then it will take quite a while to get anything done.

If it were me id go see a family law expert and get sone advise now so you know what to do once bub arrives

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

MissMetal  (10-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou both, I have been doing a lot of research into what is best for baby and from what I'm reading it's short frequent visits of 1-2hour at a time, gradually increasing as baby matures and no
    over nights until 2 years, preferably 3.
    i am more than happy to go by that as I only want what is best for my baby and his development. sadly my ex thinks 6-8 hour visits a from the start and whenever he likes is suitable ������

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMetal For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (10-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here are two articles I think are fabulously written, hopefully the links work if anyone can be bothered reading them

http://www.aaimhi.org/inewsfiles/AAI...nd_divorce.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMetal View Post
    Thankyou both, I have been doing a lot of research into what is best for baby and from what I'm reading it's short frequent visits of 1-2hour at a time, gradually increasing as baby matures and no
    over nights until 2 years, preferably 3.
    i am more than happy to go by that as I only want what is best for my baby and his development. sadly my ex thinks 6-8 hour visits a from the start and whenever he likes is suitable ������

I think what you outlined (above) is quite reasonable, and should your ex not be mutually agreeable to something along those lines the Court would probably create similar orders to that anyway.

The Court will set the days times your ex can have visitation and neither he nor you would be able to change those days or times without consent by the other party, so I wouldn't worry too much about him just getting free access.

As the child grows any court orders will be revisited periodically. That's a long way down the track for you though, and I agree with the above posters who have encouraged you not to worry about it right now and just try to enjoy your pregnancy.

Blossom

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (10-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    I think what you outlined (above) is quite reasonable, and should your ex not be mutually agreeable to something along those lines the Court would probably create similar orders to that anyway.

The Court will set the days times your ex can have visitation and neither he nor you would be able to change those days or times without consent by the other party, so I wouldn't worry too much about him just getting free access.

As the child grows any court orders will be revisited periodically. That's a long way down the track for you though, and I agree with the above posters who have encouraged you not to worry about it right now and just try to enjoy your pregnancy.

Blossom
    thankyou!

He just has no idea, he really doesn't.
    I am just so glad that I don't have to live with him and deal with him on a daily basis anymore haha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    also, if he takes me to court and I get legal aid I won't have to pay anything will I??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make sure you contact Legal Aid. They'll only represent one of you, so just make sure your name is in their books first.