+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hang in there ladies you're doing great!

With my first bub he was borderline 10% weight loss upon discharge...but in hindsight: he never settled unless he was feeding, would scream constantly. mws just said he wanted to suck and gave a dummy.
    we were home less than 2 days. he continued losing weight and was very unsettled, he vomited up mecronium and we were rushed back and readmitted to hospital. long story short he didn't get enough fluids in to passit through so his body ejected it however it knew. he also had urate crystals .
    we started feeding, topping with ebm//formula, pumping every 3 hrs..day and night. i was on motillium iron fenugreek eating lactaction cookies and drinking heaps.
    he refused to latch from 4.5mnths but i continued pumping 3hrly till 6 months.
    at 6 months i was diagnosed with hypothyroidisim (have you had your thyroid checked,?? It will mess up your supply if its not right)and a few other things. one medication was not suitable for bfing so i stopped. Even with 3hrly pumping i was lucky to get a total 110mls in 24hrs!

With my second bub...i was more aware.as soonas his eyes opened/he made a sound...i fed him. we fed soo. much in hospital even the mws were like "wow you're giving it everything ".. but i noticed similar things.... 18hrs with a dry nappy, unsettled, dry lips, urate crystals ...his jaundice was getting worse... i hasd seen an IBCLC while pregnant and id expressed colostrum which he was given. Much to my disappointment i even requested 2x 30ml formula topups. he had lost a visible amount of weight in photos. ...at our weigh in ...he was borderline like i thought. we started mix feeding in hospital and are still going almost 9.5months later!
    I tried everything again this time but it still didn't help.
    In the first month i offered a feed everytime he woke/made noises/lip smacked etc. i gave formula every 2.5-4hrly as needed and pumped after bottles....
    after the first month i dropped to pumping only morning and night after the first and last feed i was awake for the day for.
    Now, i still pump morning and night, i offer a bf upon waking for the morning, before lunch, before dinner, in the evening and before bed. he also feeds for comfort, and to go to sleep, and he has recently started requesting a quick snack!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Minib  (12-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lack of supply help

Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    at 6 months i was diagnosed with hypothyroidisim (have you had your thyroid checked,?? It will mess up your supply if its not right)and a few other things. one medication was not suitable for bfing so i stopped. Even with 3hrly pumping i was lucky to get a total 110mls in 24hrs!

!
    Haven't had my thyroid checked will ask my OB next week when I go for my 6 week appointment.

You would have been so tired. Wow amazing!
    Last edited by Minib; 12-01-2016 at 07:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been massaging my breast but it looks like the 60mg motilium has really kicked in. The pain not necessarily the supply. One breast is rock hard on the top part. Other than massage, heat pack, ice pack and cabbage leaf is there any other solution?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like it could be a blocked duct which is caused when the breast isn't emptied properly. You need to apply heat before a feed and ice after, and massage toward the nipple during a feed, and in the shower is good too. Feed or pump as much as possible.

If you start feeling flu like symptoms (fever, aches) make sure you see the dr quickly as blocked ducts can lead to mastitis which can reduce your supply and is a real pain (been there, done that!).

As a side note, blocked ducts can indicate that the latch isn't effective, just something to consider!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah i think so too. No amount of expressing is giving me the relief.

I'm jumping into the shower again now to massage then hand express. Bub isn't due for a feed until 4.30 pm so will keep doing it until she's awake and feed.

Doesn't surprise me really. She's never that great in emptying the boob or sucking effectively.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi minib, I haven't read the other responses so sorry if I'm covering all ground.

I had low supply due to a previous breast reduction. First of all, if your baby ends up fully formula fed, they will be fine. That's your worst case scenario and it's not bad at all.

Second, I wanted my Bub to be getting some breastmilk. I never had an issue with him ingesting formula, I just wanted the benefit of breastmilk. If you keep comping with formula, breastfeeding and pumping, the baby will still get breastmilk, which is the aim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minib View Post
    Yeah i think so too. No amount of expressing is giving me the relief.

I'm jumping into the shower again now to massage then hand express. Bub isn't due for a feed until 4.30 pm so will keep doing it until she's awake and feed.

Doesn't surprise me really. She's never that great in emptying the boob or sucking effectively.
    You could try dangle feeding or expressing too - http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/dangle-feeding/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did you say she had a tongue tie?

I would guess that ineffective sucking is more likely to be the cause of a low milk supply than insufficient glandular tissue.

My first child had severe reflux, could not feed effectively and I consequently had a low supply and had to comp with formula. I was also told I had insufficient glandular tissue because I didn't go up a bra size in pregnancy.

Fast forward to child number two. Again boobs stayed the same during pregnancy. However she fed like a champ from day one. I woke up on day 3 with a cleavage for the first time in my life and an oversupply of milk. In my experiecne, a babie's ability to suck effectively can make a huge difference to milk supply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The tongue tied is fixed but she isn't great still. I was told it could take time as my nipples are too long and large for her. So as she grows older it will be easier. I think a different child could get more milk out of me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not even worrying about exclusively BF anymore. Have given up on that thought. Happy with mixed feeding but would love a faster feeding process as I'm exhausted. Did the medela sns help?
    Yeah I think it's helping, although it's probably a combination of medication etc. I like the fact I don't have to do breast then bottle as well.