Can you guys recommend where to buy the sns from?
Or I could just use the second hand tube. Not sure how I feel about it though. I guess after I'm done I would sell mine and someone will use the tube anyway.
I struggled with low supply with both my babies - despite their very different feeding habits.
With my first, I mixed fed for 8 months and beat myself up about it for that whole time. With my 2nd, as PP mentioned, I embraced mixed feeding and enjoyed 10 months of breastfeeding until switching 100% to formula.
From my experiences, here would be my key bits of advice:
- Google Dr Jack Newman - his website has awesome advice including diagrams and videos. Especially check out breast compressions - during feeding or pumping these can help speed up flow and ensure breasts are being fully drained.
- I needed 3 x 3 motilium a day (90mg total) to BF full time. Most GPs will advise 30mg, my OB put me on the higher dose. Dr Newman recommends 100mg a day. They will take a few days to really kick in. I was only ever on 30mg with my first and they did make some difference but never meant I had enough to EBF.
- Pumping got me down and I don't think it really made a big difference to supply, so with my 2nd I only pumped for comfort if needed. This helped my emotional wellbeing a lot, which kept me strong during sleep deprivation etc.
- Different natural remedies work for different people, so try them but if they don't work then don't bother. Wheatgerm was the only thing that made a small difference to me, all others did nothing.
- With my first, as my supply was always terrible due to not being well managed, I always top-up fed. With my 2nd, as the high dose motilium did the trick, I chose to replace one feed a day (and dropped my dose slighly) to keep the convenience of mixed feeding.
Most of all, remember that there is no set definition of "successful breastfeeding". Having issues again with my 2nd bub, I came to realise that only *I* set the definition and for *me* successful breastfeeding includes some formula.
Pregnant for the first-time?
Not sure where to start? We can help!
Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!