+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Adopting a cat/kitten - meeting old dog

Today there's an adoption day. I've been wanting to adopt for awhile but have a 10yr old Lab X
    He's a gentle giant, but snaps at other little dogs (more from fear)
    I'm not sure how to introduce him to a kitten. (Probably will be easier than a cat to introduce).
    Has anyone successfully done this?

Also can kittens be outside during the day and inside at night?
    Do they need to be toilet trained or do they know to use litter box?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi

we have 2 rescue cats that we got as kittens. we also have a now 14 yr old lab and when we bought the kittens home, we introduced them to our boy by giving him lots of praise for sitting still and held each kitten in our arms and gently let him sniff them at his leisure..we didnt leave them alone together and we gave alot of attention to our dog and over praised him when he was being gentle... make sure you have a spot that the kittens can go to have some time away from the dog, you may find the kitten is very scared of his new surrounds and hides for a day or 2, perfectly normal.. they are adjusting to a new environment and new people/dogs

our cats are indoor cats only and i have never let them outside. i personally wouldnt even as kittens as they are so tiny and can get frightened easily.

our 2 were toilet trained, we just showed them where the litter tray was and we have no accidents,, make sure its accessible at all times and remember accidents happen

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would introduce your dog and kitten exactly as the above poster mentioned. Even if it goes marvelously well, I would still keep them under close supervision for a couple of weeks.

When your new kitten comes home it should have it's own confined area for the first few days. A bathroom is usually good for this, and you can keep the kitten's bed, food and water bowls and litter box in there. It is important not to place the food and water next to the litter box - it should be across the room, as cats don't like to go to the toilet near their food.

If it is not already litter box trained, I would 'teach it' by gently placing it in the litter box after each time it has eaten or had a drink. You can even move it's little paw through the gravel to show it what it needs to do. It usually only takes a few goes to get this done. Once the kitten knows how to use the litter and has free run of the house, you might like to pick it up and put it in it's litter box to 'remind' it that it needs to go. They are easily distracted and do have occasional accidents, just like toddlers! Generally when you adopt a kitten they already know how to do use litter, and also how to keep themselves clean.

I would let the kitten sleep in the bathroom with the door closed for a few days until it is comfortable. it is important to establish a routine. If you want it to be in the house with you, shut off as many rooms as you can so that it has a smaller area to explore at first. It is a big world out there! You can open up more rooms as the kitten becomes more comfortable. At that stage I would not be letting it outside unless it's for short periods under close supervision.

Make sure you have appropriate food for a kitten, and food and water bowls should not be too deep or too high - the kitten needs easy access and he will be so short Plenty of love and quiet cuddles are good, and he should have a vet check, and be wormed and de-flead.

That's about all I can think of! Enjoy your little bundle and well done you on rescuing a little one so in need of a home.

Blossom

Thanks
    Reviews
    Couldn't do it.
    I chickened out.
    Don't think I'm ready to look after a kitten. Thanks for your advice. I'll keep this thread for when I'm ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are a HUGE commitment, as is owning any animal. If you don't feel ready then you made the right decision.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Rebecca79  (10-01-2016)