+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there sorry to hear you are having a rough time. It can ferl overwhelming at times. I do think that yr older ones are old enough to have a meaningful discussion about moving to the downstairs bedrooms. If you sell it to them positively it could be really exciting for them to get new rooms and the added bonus of a clean out at the same time. Maybe book a council clean up now, they usually book 3 or 4 weeks ahead so you have time to plan the bedroom move. I usually go to bunnings and collect 3 or 4 empty boxes and fill them straight away and put them in garage waiting for cleanup. Then go for more boxes. I am pretty ruthless. Also, how about utililising daycare and oosh if its available and getting a job for a few days per week. Its a great feeling getting out and about rather than drowning under the usual household dramas.. thats what i find anyway. Working gives something just for yourself. Just some ideas... all the best.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (09-01-2016),TaylasWorld  (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps i forgot to mention that i think a feeling of wellbeing and practicality in a home are important. We have just moved from a steep block and driveway to a dead flat block. Kids can now play outside and ride their bikes etc whereas that simply was not an op tion before. We left behind a beautiful home and now live in a 'renovators dream' but 2 weeks in and i feel our lives have changed for the better. Big decision as kids will be changing schools and preschool this year but it can be done!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Hey @Freyamum. A bit worried that we've not seen you around lately.

Hope all is okay and you're sorting through everything ok.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (08-02-2016),Freyamum  (08-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (08-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Hey @Freyamum. A bit worried that we've not seen you around lately.

Hope all is okay and you're sorting through everything ok.
    Thanks for thinking of me. I'm doing ok just so busy have been finding it hard to bub hub!! Kids have agreed to move downstairs but so much to do to get this organised and toddler in no nap phase and needing me to lie down with her to get to sleep and now she's figured out how to get downstairs by herself yikes!!!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (09-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (09-02-2016),littleriv  (09-02-2016),TaylasWorld  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Freyamum. From a practical point could you move downstairs, then baby could have own room and you would be close. Older children wouldn't need to moved so would be less upheaval. Also if your main living areas (kitchen/laundry/living) are downstairs it's much easier being on 1 level with the odd trip upstairs....

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, I think living somewhere you are happy can make a big difference. Not the house itself but the location. We were in Sydney and we were miserable. We moved (pretty far away which I know isn't an option for most) but we love it now, even though we are in a little 3bdr, single living area house that doesn't even have a dining room, only eat in kitchen. Much less stress and everything. I had 4 kids under 4.5, one with special needs, so I definitely understand the mess thing. We have never lived near family. My youngest (now 18 months) hasn't been away from me for more than an hour. None of the kids get babysat, ever and hubby stresses if he has to have them on his own so I don't really do that either. But even with all that being moved from Sydney to where I am now is a massive difference. I yell less and cut myself some slack a lot more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Also. We have an outdoor playpen too. Makes hanging out laundry easy.

When I bring the clothes in I fold them directly into baskets. Each person gets their own basket. It gets put on the floor of their room. I put away dd3 (3mths old).clothes but I expect my 3&5yo to put away their own. Dh has a floor-robe that I cbf dealing with. His half of our bedroom is a dump but it's his half and his problem.
    I have similar set up to this. Each person has a basket in their room and I put the clean clothes in there. They are in charge of packing it away in the drawers. I explain to them that this helps them because they will know where to find everything since they packed it away. We had to do it together a few times initially but they are pretty good at it now although I still need to nag.
    And yup, dh I don't even bother he is old enough to take care of his own stuff. He doesn't though and I refuse to pack it away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by xyz987 View Post
    Hi Freyamum. From a practical point could you move downstairs, then baby could have own room and you would be close. Older children wouldn't need to moved so would be less upheaval. Also if your main living areas (kitchen/laundry/living) are downstairs it's much easier being on 1 level with the odd trip upstairs....
    Unfortunately our kitchen / living is upstairs just the laundry downstairs. This house is so badly designed. Well maybe ok for family with older kids, not school aged and toddler.
    I'm down again. Toddler is at that destructive stage that I need to keep on top of things or she pulls everything apart but cus she's still in our room but not in a cot now that's my priority. Decided to list steps in getting kids moved downstairs (they agreed to this) but while doing so she has pulled out the unsorted laundry and thrown around the room, squished watermelon into the sofa, added more books and toys to the mess.... I feel so stuck. Organising the kids to move is huge undertaking. New beds to buy old ones dismantled, old toys and clothes need decluttering and rooms need to be cleaned. It's just too much I need to forget it and keep her in our room and focus on getting on top of the other basic stuff...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is money a problem? If not then get outside help.
    Why can't the kids use their old beds?
    Get some cleaners in to clean the rooms and some people to move everything in one day.

I know I've mentioned this several times but get a playpen. Pop your toddler in there. It won't kill her to be in there 10-15min every hour.

Another laundry idea I got from a friend is that she washes each person's clothes on a separate day. So each person has their own laundry hamper and once a week they put their own clothes in the machine. Then they hang out/put it away. Puts ownership back onto the individual. Meaning she only does her own laundry and try baby's.