+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Registered carer

Long story short, we love our long service daycare our eldest attends, but it's a 15 month+ centre, so our youngest cannot attend until December/ January.
    My cousin just finished her diploma in childcare and had a job lined up but found out she's pregnant and has low immunity to mmr so can't work with kids until after the birth of her child. She then has to find childcare herself.
    We joked that she could look after our youngest ( as she'll be around her anyway so it's a known risk) and we have stumbled across Registered carers http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...gistered-carer

Does anyone have a family member do this? How much per hour do we need to pay her? Any other info we need to know?

Just trying to work out if it's viable for all parties involved.
    Based on incomes we could be eligible for CCB. We opt to get it at the end of year just in case

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've found this fact sheet https://www.dss.gov.au/sites/default...child_care.pdf

But I'm still not sure how much per hour I must pay.
    Obviously she'll need to report to CL and tax office income.

After rebate childcare is $60 a day if we get dd2 into another centre, which is just under 3 hours of work ( based on minimum wage) so I'm thinking ( as we need her more than this) that it's not viable if it was a minimum wage thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Perhaps wageline could advise you?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    Perhaps wageline could advise you?
    Info provides minimum wage data, but because it's a private arrangement I'm not sure that minimum wage applies, also considering she'll have her child with her too

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a similar arrangement with a friend for the past 3 years. We paid her $50 a day and provided food and then claimed back the benefit/rebate (I get them mixed up but just the small one) later. She provided us with special registered carer receipts for us to do that. She would also have her own kids plus other kids some of the days. It was a really great arrangement, and we've only stopped now because we've had another baby and I'm only going back to work part time this time. We did end up being out of pocket slightly more than we did at the Childcare centre that DS now attends but imo it was worth it. She is like a second mum to my DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to add - our friend probably was doing quite well out of it. 3 days a week DS was there for 5 hours and the other two it was more like 8. We did start with $40 per day and all 5 hour days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Maybe she could sign up for family daycare?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Maybe she could sign up for family daycare?
    Some people love family daycare, but it's not for us. I rather not send her to anywhere else until the place DD1 is at

Quote Originally Posted by Bubintummy View Post
    We had a similar arrangement with a friend for the past 3 years. We paid her $50 a day and provided food and then claimed back the benefit/rebate (I get them mixed up but just the small one) later. She provided us with special registered carer receipts for us to do that. She would also have her own kids plus other kids some of the days. It was a really great arrangement, and we've only stopped now because we've had another baby and I'm only going back to work part time this time. We did end up being out of pocket slightly more than we did at the Childcare centre that DS now attends but imo it was worth it. She is like a second mum to my DS.
    Thank you, in our area $50 a day is cheaper than daycare

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone been a carer? Do they claim tax? Is the fee less as they're "self" employed and therefore able to charge what they wanf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I didn't mean your child. If she's only just started out, setting up family daycare through a provider might be best.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (09-01-2016)