+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Countdown to the first day of school

Our eldest starts school this year and thought it would be nice to start a thread for myself and other first time school mums, or ones with older children at school who have another starting in 2016 or any school mums for that matter !

So far I pretty much have all her uniform sorted, navy hair ties and clips too, just need to get a smock and some navy tights and socks.

I've purchased enough pieces for the full 5 days hoping I'll only have to wash uniforms on the weekend. Is this what others have done? Seemed logical to me....did u all buy the proper school uniform or mix and match with pieces from big w, target etc? We got a bit of both...proper school dress, skorts, 2 polos, a jumper, hat and bag all from the school uniform shop with school logo and then from target 3 polos, more skorts, track pants and will get more winter stuff later on. I would have loved to buy all proper stuff but its just soooo expensive! School skorts $48, Target ones $10 😕

I'm getting her a two tier insulated lunch cooler bag from smiggle in the next week or two and will use a sandwich container and then separate small containers for snacks etc and chuck some ice bricks in there, I'm my experience this seems the easiest way to keep the food cool and completely separated ( not sure how she would go with say a yumbox style lunch set up). I thought her recess and fruit break food can go in the top section and lunch in the bottom. She also needs a new drink bottle. Any suggestions?

Today the delivery came for her iron on name labels for clothing, stick on labels for lunch bag, drink bottle etc and her shoe labels

Anyway share any tips, ideas, purchases etc, its all unknown territory so hopefully we can help each other 😊
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 08-01-2016 at 23:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck! It is such an exciting time. You sound very organised

Mine are going into year 4 and year 6

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! I'm trying to be, it is very exciting.... And kinda sad! You must be a pro by now 😊😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is the lunch cooler I'm looking at, any other suggestions welcome!
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Thank you! I'm trying to be, it is very exciting.... And kinda sad! You must be a pro by now ������������
    I cried after dropping my youngest off. I wasn't ready for her to go at all. It was full of mixed feelings. I'm sure your DD will have a wonderful time.

It gets all left to the last week now. Although they don't need uniforms, I think my oldest needs shoes.

I do have all their books and classroom supplies. I am in the process of covering their books in plain paper for them to decorate, then I will put a clear book cover over the top.

I wouldn't buy an expensive drink bottle as they tend to go walk about. Even when they are named so mine get to pick one a year and then if they lose it they have to use the one from a previous year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    This is the lunch cooler I'm looking at, any other suggestions welcome!

Looks good We love Smiggle in this house!

Just put it through the washing machine once a week and let it dry completely. I had issues with the fabric ones going mouldy, but it could be living in QLD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post

Just put it through the washing machine once a week and let it dry completely. I had issues with the fabric ones going mouldy, but it could be living in QLD.
    Thank will do, I used a similar flat style one from Target ( smash brand) at kindy all year and had no issues so fingers crossed will be the same.

I'm in SA so nowhere near as humid either no 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    DON'T WRITE HER NAME ON HER BAG THE OUTSIDE WHERE IT CAN SEEN WHEN WORN OR ON HER HAT. This a safety risk. If someone says your child name they automatically think they must know them. Even as adults we feel that way. It's how our brain works.

A password is a great idea too. So if someone comes to pick them up that not normal (mum dad grandad grandma aunt uncle) even if they know then they must know the password for your child to go with them. We have used it successfully.

Hairspray - it helps deter nits.

Check it the have crunch not sip. Often they need a separate container.

Get a spare hat. You will need it at some point.

Art smock. A old mens tshirt is great.

Pack one piece of food in the lunch bag that will last til after school. If you can stay for 5 to 10 mins to play after school. Sit down and chat to other parents. It amazing what you will find out in that time.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-01-2016),babyla  (09-01-2016),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (08-01-2016),Ra Ra Superstar  (09-01-2016),VicPark  (13-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post

We tend to you esky rather than lunch bags here for that reason. Extra bonus it they can be used as a seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    DON'T WRITE HER NAME ON HER BAG THE OUTSIDE WHERE IT CAN SEEN WHEN WORN OR ON HER HAT. This a safety risk. If someone says your child name they automatically think they must know them. Even as adults we feel that way. It's how our brain works.

A password is a great idea too. So if someone comes to pick them up that not normal (mum dad grandad grandma aunt uncle) even if they know then they must know the password for your child to go with them. We have used it successfully.

Hairspray - it helps deter nits.

Check it the have crunch not sip. Often they need a separate container.

Get a spare hat. You will need it at some point.

Art smock. A old mens tshirt is great.

Pack one piece of food in the lunch bag that will last til after school. If you can stay for 5 to 10 mins to play after school. Sit down and chat to other parents. It amazing what you will find out in that time.
    Yep I hadn't planned on it. At her school they all have the same bags so will just put some keyrings etc so she can identify her bag. We have an unusual last name so perhaps will just put that on inside of her hat?

We already have a password 😊

Any tips to deter nits very welcome lol, apparently they hate tea tree too....thanks for your advice xx