+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michellek View Post
    We expect a long drive and stop in collie regardless of the current detours as I have a lot of family there (as I've said in a previous thread, born & raised in the sw ) Then onto Capel for more reli's, few days to ourself (phew) before a big IL birthday celebration.

We are always well stocked up, comes with the background of rural raising
    I understand having paid for a holiday, but personally I'd be staying away. Resources are stretched at the moment. Some shops in the area are running low on fresh food and not all the trucks can get through. Our Coles and Wollies haven't had any deliveries as their trucks haven't made it through.

Things may have changed overnight, but yesterday Busselton had long queues (I heard an hours wait) Dunsborough was completely dry of fuel. Margaret River only has one servo with fuel and the dry one isn't expecting a delivery for days apparently. Places like Wandering and Collie were also low or out and some of Bunbury has been ordered to stop pumping fuel as the risk of an explosion/fire is too great with all the ash and embers around. Fuel will also be diverted to the fireground as the emergency vehicles need it to do their job, so that could become more of an issue with only the one road in and out open.

It's also eerie as hell with all the smoke and ash.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (09-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    Ok to clarify - the relatives I'm questioning why they stay - they have their car packed, are retired (but fit and healthy) and have no pets. They can leave to an into very nice accommodation 1.5 hours away until the danger is over at no cost and into a house that is used by them regularly as an overnighter, fully furnished and stocked but the owners are overseas. I don't understand why you would leave yourself at the mercy of nature and emergency resources at the last minute. I'm not name calling and I have not been in the situation, but I just don't get it.

Edit: Ok yes I did name call - about the people going for their 'holiday' in the middle of it. I think they're nuts.

Michellek - these people also paid a lot of money, but I can't imagine having a happy family holiday in the middle of this devastation, let alone how hard it will be on resources in that area. I hope your family en-route are OK (and I mean that genuinely, not pulling your chain).
    Have they ever been in a fire before? They may think it won't get to them. Some people ignore the first evacuation notice as think the fireies are just being cautious. They may not have understanding of how big this fire actually is, and just how fast it is moving. It is racing across the paddocks. DH said one minute they are looking at the fire coming and are working out a plan of attack, the next minute the fire is THERE.

Some people stay because they don't know. Don't realise how dangerous it is. They think they have more time to pack. (DH has seen people calling in removalists under an evacuation order! No joke). Some have no choice as they waited too long and then can't get out. Some people stay to defend their homes.

If it was me in Preston Beach? I'd have gone when they told me to. My bushfire plan is to run! If emergency personnel tell me it's time to go, I'm gone. If I feel uncomfortable and think fire is too close? Gone. No way am I staying and defending. DH would be at the fireground, so no way am I staying and putting my kids in danger. If I have time to pack, I will get what I can, let the animals out, throw the kids and dog in the car and be outta here. With a fire I know is potentially coming, I'm already half organised incase it does get this far.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I understand having paid for a holiday, but personally I'd be staying away. Resources are stretched at the moment. Some shops in the area are running low on fresh food and not all the trucks can get through. Our Coles and Wollies haven't had any deliveries as their trucks haven't made it through.

Things may have changed overnight, but yesterday Busselton had long queues (I heard an hours wait) Dunsborough was completely dry of fuel. Margaret River only has one servo with fuel and the dry one isn't expecting a delivery for days apparently. Places like Wandering and Collie were also low or out and some of Bunbury has been ordered to stop pumping fuel as the risk of an explosion/fire is too great with all the ash and embers around. Fuel will also be diverted to the fireground as the emergency vehicles need it to do their job, so that could become more of an issue with only the one road in and out open.

It's also eerie as hell with all the smoke and ash.
    I didn't think of the food situation or that what fuel is left is needed by fire trucks on the southern side. Good points.

I agree with the Preston beach fire. I would have gotten out early. I heard the town I'm worried about is under ember attack but still a distance from the actual fire. It's a nervous and scary wait. I watched a video of the Midland caravan ember attack from new years Eve and it's as good as being on fire.

I know many of these areas extremely well and the fire fighters are doing a miraculous job of slowing it down as best they can. Some of that bush is so thick and everything is so dry.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Californication  (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Looks like they are getting it under control. Alerts have been downgraded. Apparently firies from over east are coming to relieve them. What an awesome job the fire fighters and volunteers do.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IncyWincy For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (09-01-2016),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (09-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by IncyWincy View Post
    Looks like they are getting it under control. Alerts have been downgraded. Apparently firies from over east are coming to relieve them. What an awesome job the fire fighters and volunteers do.
    Really? I hope so. I heard the karnup one was under control but I looked at the other one and wasn't too sure. I will have a Google looksy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews

Default WA Bushfires - any hubbers affected?

I just saw that too. Looks like Bunbury is safe, but I still think it will hit Harvey though. It's pretty close to the township.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's 5kms out of Harvey and likely to brush the town. The wind over the next couple of days is likely to turn it round and push up hill sooooo bad down there and still not declared a natural disaster area

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I know many of these areas extremely well and the fire fighters are doing a miraculous job of slowing it down as best they can. Some of that bush is so thick and everything is so dry.
    They have. In this heat too. Some of the video our local brigade has put up is scary. I'm glad DH is a volunteer and goes to help people, but can't help worry when he's out there.

I tried to reply to you last night too, but your mailbox was full.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I tried to reply to you last night too, but your mailbox was full.
    I've cleared it now.

Glad some areas are looking safer. Harvey side is scary sounding though.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Californication  (09-01-2016)