+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    I'm on the other side of the country but I've been thinking of WA all day and wishing there was something that I could do. Stay safe hubbers xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Please be careful when wording questions about why people are still.in the area.

I have never been in a bushfire zone.

After Yasi while I still didn't have power or phone etc I went onto a part of town that had power to a Internet cafe to let people on my fb and friends on the hub know we were safe. Questions like why we didn't evacuate and name calling had me crushed. I was broken by them. I was going through a hard enough time without being put down by people on here.

We followed the recommended procedure for cyclones just as some that stay to try and save or prepare their property in a bush fire zone.

This is just a friendly reminder that there are real people doing the best they can in a situation that is freaking scary. While it might not be what you think would do or how you think you would act. When your going through it, it's not always as easy as drive away and don't look back.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (09-01-2016),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (08-01-2016),michellek  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DP is heading out as crew chief for his station at midnight tonight. Will be located at the Karnup Fire. The fire in Forrestdale was about 5 minutes from us. Made getting home integrating..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to miss_petepie For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

😞
    Last edited by michellek; 09-01-2016 at 22:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tomorrow is expected to be bad wind wise. Hopefully Monday we will see some relief but the winds will kick it off again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rosey82 I think we live in the same area. Hoping things settle down a bit tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    In my friends case he is staying to save his animals. They are on acreage and the animals are too big and hard to move. They are insured well for property damage but he wants to stay to try to save their house and animals and their neighbours as well. They went through this a couple years ago and their house was saved this way while their other neighbour left and lost theirs.

I watched the news before and had to hold back tears watching a lady who I had seen on fb before the fire went through begging for help to move her horses. She ended up letting them free because no one was allowed back in to the area once they left and anyone who was still there was in the same predicament. The poor horses were badly burnt or injured and one or 2 may not make it.

Some of the areas being burnt are one way in one way out and what used to take 45 to an hour to drive to now take up to 5+ hours to detour around to get to. One of the 2 major roads to access the with west corridor will be inacessable for the foreseeable future due to a bridge collapse.

A lot of the people staying behind are at risk of losing everything because some areas are so fire prone they are uninsurable or they have had blow after blow and can't afford insurance so they would rather try to save what they can.

This isn't a go at anyone at all. I agree with leaving with whatever you can grab if the need arose.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (08-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah if it were just me and the kids at home, our plan is grab dog and whatever we can and go.
    If DH is home he says he would stay.
    I am terrified of the idea but he says he would want to do anything he could to protect the house.

I think a lot of the problem is that at a watch and act you think you'd be able to defend so stay, then often conditions change so rapidly that it so quickly becomes to unsafe to leave.

We had a fire in our area and come up to our street 6 months before we moved in. From the first sign of smoke to the point the fireies were saying go now or its to late was 20 minutes. My neighbour and good friend left and they weren't allowed back for 3 days. A few people in the street stayed and defended successfully. At least one couple want to move as she was to traumatised from staying.

You can't win. You do what you think is right at the time. It's such a Sh!t situation that you just pray your not thrust into.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (08-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok to clarify - the relatives I'm questioning why they stay - they have their car packed, are retired (but fit and healthy) and have no pets. They can leave to an into very nice accommodation 1.5 hours away until the danger is over at no cost and into a house that is used by them regularly as an overnighter, fully furnished and stocked but the owners are overseas. I don't understand why you would leave yourself at the mercy of nature and emergency resources at the last minute. I'm not name calling and I have not been in the situation, but I just don't get it.

Edit: Ok yes I did name call - about the people going for their 'holiday' in the middle of it. I think they're nuts.

Michellek - these people also paid a lot of money, but I can't imagine having a happy family holiday in the middle of this devastation, let alone how hard it will be on resources in that area. I hope your family en-route are OK (and I mean that genuinely, not pulling your chain).
    Last edited by Hulahoop; 08-01-2016 at 22:48.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (08-01-2016),PinkPopsicle  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    Admittedly I've never been in the situation, but why wouldn't you pack your precious things and just get out? I have relatives at Preston who have been in and out of their home over the last few days but are still there right now. They have a huge family and friend network but even offers of houses and apartments in Perth wont accept them - but they will leave if the risk is too great. Why why why? Same result, less risk.

I know people that are still planning on going south this weekend for a 'holiday'. Dipsh!ts.
    And when the fires were within 100m of my home 6wks ago in metro perth i left and went back and hubby stayed to defend. Its a hard thing to know what you'll do until you're in that situation. I also never got a doorknock or phone notification. Emergency services chose not to activate the sms service.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (08-01-2016)