+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone see a naturopath whilst pregnant?

I was seeing a naturopath to fall pregnant (which worked by the way!) but stopped following her guidelines and seeing her once I was pregnant to save money. Plus I have a midwife who doesn't believe in natural stuff.
    I'm finding in the last few weeks I've been quite anxious on and off.
    The naturopath didn't give me herbs or anything, but have me particular doses of vitamins rather than taking the standard ones.
    I felt great while I was taking them but like I said, lately I feel anxious. Deciding whether to go back to see her or not. I'm 34 weeks at the moment. Anyone have experience around this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It doesn't really matter so much what your midwife believes in, it matters what works for you.
    If you really think you could feel better than you do now, then yes - I would absolutely say going to see your naturopath is a great idea. It might be a really simple fix to have you feeling 100% for the birth/newborn phase.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Violet85  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! I think I might go and see her. I know there's a lot of controversy around natural things like this, but I've had anxiety for years and felt better than I ever have when I was seeing her. The midwife freaked me out by saying "now I don't believe in this natural stuff". First thing she said to me when she met me.
    I was quite zinc deficient before so maybe that's come back around again.
    I guess it won't hurt to go and see what she thinks. I don't have to take her advice if I don't like it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not exactly but my cousin is a naturopath and prescribed me more comprehensive prenatal vitamins than those available over the counter.

There's always going to be sceptics out there, and I think half the reason is that the natural medicine industry isn't as regulated as the traditional medical industry, and as such there are unfortunately a few 'quacks' out there. However there are also some excellent naturopaths, acupuncturists, chiropractors etc and if you find someone that you're comfortable with and is helping your situation, don't be influenced by the naysayers.

I saw an acupuncturist to help me fall pregnant (I did first cycle of seeing her), similarly I stopped due to financial reasons but I am going to go back to see her for the last few weeks leading up to birth. Similarly to help with my anxiety and also to help me prepare mentally and physically for the coming months. You don't have to tell your midwife (unless taking herbs etc that you need to disclose).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Not exactly but my cousin is a naturopath and prescribed me more comprehensive prenatal vitamins than those available over the counter.

There's always going to be sceptics out there, and I think half the reason is that the natural medicine industry isn't as regulated as the traditional medical industry, and as such there are unfortunately a few 'quacks' out there. However there are also some excellent naturopaths, acupuncturists, chiropractors etc and if you find someone that you're comfortable with and is helping your situation, don't be influenced by the naysayers.

I saw an acupuncturist to help me fall pregnant (I did first cycle of seeing her), similarly I stopped due to financial reasons but I am going to go back to see her for the last few weeks leading up to birth. Similarly to help with my anxiety and also to help me prepare mentally and physically for the coming months. You don't have to tell your midwife (unless taking herbs etc that you need to disclose).
    Thank you! That's pretty much spot on how I feel. There are a few out there that make the others seem bad when they're not.
    After months of trying and doctors telling me there was nothing wrong (even though I didn't have a period for ten months with no reason!) my naturopath was the first person to actually listen to me.
    Good point about the midwife. She freaked me out by saying "natural vitamins can do more harm than good". I dont know how!
    They're closed this week but I'll call to book next week.