+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1 yo bruises around eyes - cancer concerns [PIC INCL]

Hi mums,

My soon-to-be 1yo has developed large dark circles all around her eyes (including the brow bone/eyes lids). She's never had this before and the marks seem to be getting slightly darker every couple of days.

She hasn't had any falls and eats well and sleeps well.

She is constipated ALL the time (Sometimes passes a hard stool every couple of days) and has been coughing (not a cold or mucousy cough) for the past couple of weeks too.

These symptoms have led me to cancer forums (ie: neuroblastoma) and ofcourse, I'm now worried.

I want to order a scan and blood tests from the doc for peace of mind - can they refuse if I push for a CT?

Any advice?

Thank you so much

See pic:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There are so many things that could be causing the cough and dark circles. You need to make an appt with a GP and go there, but I wouldn't automatically push for a CT scan, because a quick google search tells me neuroblastoma is rare, so I wouldn't push for a scan that your daughter will most likely need to be sedated for (so she lies still) for your peace of mind if the GP doesn't think it is a required test.
    FWIW, the circles look reddish, and red circles around eyes are often a sign of allergies, which could also cause a cough. So stay off cancer forums, and stop freaking yourself out unnecessarily

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Kimmmm  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your reply

In person (and now a few days on from the pics) the circles are more a dark blue/purple (as per bottom right pic).

I didn't even mean to look up cancers (and i wouldn't have even thought it!) but when I typed in her symptoms, I was getting so many childhood cancer sites..

I've actually already spoken to my gp who was quite clueless a few days ago and then even spoke to the nurse at her 1 year check 2 days ago and even she had no answers and was humming and harring

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ask for a blood test and go from there. A blood test will give more insight as to what is going on. And see a different GP if need be

Unfortunately with google you can type in symptoms and get cancer sites. eg. I have a friend who typed her symptoms in to google and convinced herself she had uterine cancer...turns out she had a prolapse, which she hadn't even heard of until I mentioned the possibility to her. She was so scared to go to the GP when she thought she had cancer, but she went, and it was a prolapse..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Big hugs. As PP said, try not to freak yourself out. I understand you want to rule out the possibility asap (I would be the same) but most likely there are so many other things that could be causing this. Take them to a good GP asap and if you're not satisfied ask to see a pede and don't stop until you're satisfied. I wouldn't be demanding a CT or other potentially traumatic procedure without ruling out other more probable possibilities.

But you do have every right to ask for a 2nd, third opinion etc if you feel like you're being brushed off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friends 8 month old has similar mark under her eye. It's caused by her rubbing her eyes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely wouldn't be googling any symptoms at all, they could tell you a list of things that are completely off track. First thing I would ask for a blood test or a referral to see a GP. It could be something like constipation, mild deficiency etc.
    you could perhaps try to eliminate certain foods? ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1452132951.074326.jpgIt could be food related especially with her bowels playing up too. We went through a very similar thing with DD3, I will attach a picture. Turned out her eyes would go between red or bruised look and drawn when she would have bread and milk. We've since cut them out and usually she doesn't have any problems but now they suspect she has a fructose intolerance too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I try not to google symptoms, because it usually says cancer or something terrifying, & its most likely not. But see a good GP who will listen & answer your questions, & will investigate if need be. I have a great GP who explains EVERYTHING to me, & I always feel completely assured. I hope you can find someone you trust to help you out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that is is much more likely a food allergy/intolerance than cancer. My DD has issues with grains/gluten and dairy and has some real "allergy shiners" at times. Of course, can also just be fatigue and easily showing through on pale skin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This definitely looks like a food intolerance or allergy, especially with the bowel problems as well. Of course rule out more serious concerns, but I would be looking at a good naturopath who can work on the bowel and identifying intolerances. There are blood tests for allergies that doctors do, but there is more sensitive testing through naturopaths (functional pathology) that can turn up intolerances that are not full blown allergies. Good luck!