+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have done the same thing. And would have told the mother exactly what i saw there child do. But then again i am currently living on no sleep and have zero patients atm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WWYD - play centre incident

No way, you didn't overreact at all!
    It frustrates me when at a play centre or park how some parents think they don't need to watch their children. Not to mention, did the parent not realise this child is like this? I would say they do know!
    I understand, some parents have more than one child to look after (I have 4) but clearly this child was harassing your son for quite some time and they didn't stop it so didn't look out for their child or didn't care.
    Last edited by BabyG4; 07-01-2016 at 12:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    No way, you didn't overreact at all!
    It frustrates me when at a play centre or park how some parents think they don't need to watch their children. Not to mention, did the parent not realise this child is like this? I'd would say they do know!
    I understand, some parents have more than one child to look after (I have 4) but clearly this child was harassing your son for quite some time and they didn't stop it so didn't look out for their child or didn't care.
    Agree. It usually so happens that the child who is being rough and causing issues has no parent in sight. With no one around to reprimand them, they are free to behave as poorly as they please.

It's unfair to the other children, and it puts other parents in the difficult position of having to step in and control the situation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You didnt overreact at all. I would have done the same. My 4 y old is a sensitive soul who is still learning how to stand up for himself and I would have done the same. We actually went to a national park for a walk and went to cross swinging briges and some grown up men, probably my age, started to shake them really hard so my son got frightened. I yelled at them to stop as we were far ahead of them but I also waited for them to come off and made them apologise to my son. I would have looked for that boys mum and ask for her son to apologise to your son.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirena89 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You waited much longer than I would to step in so definitely not an over reaction! My DD is pretty wary of other kids though so she would've been hysterical by then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not at all an overreaction. I think you handled it perfectly. I probably would have told the kid off sooner and subjected him to a short lecture on how you treat other people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg! No way did you overreact!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way, certainly not an over reaction. I would have done the same, if not sooner. My DD is very shy in large groups and I always worry for her in these sort of situations as she would be too timid to defend herself.

To be honest, I actually avoid play centres for this reason as I'm worried I won't be able to get to her if she needs me.

This is way more my issue than hers, something I probably need to work on.

Sorry for going way off topic there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would have done what you did plus I would have made a point of finding the child's guardian and letting them know what happened.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

CupidsVictim  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You did NOTHING wrong. I think you reacted QUITE well considering the circumstances. I would have gone off my freakin nut !!!

When I've had children be extremely violent to my child I say 'hey" and when they look at me I say in a really mean voice "You touch my kid again and you'll regret it". Obviously I'd never do anything to them but I find that they stay away from my child and I don't have a problem. And by violent I mean like a 5 year old kicking my 2 year old or a 6 yr old who was continually knee slamming my 3 yr old son on a jumping castle... not just a slight push or hit etc.

Sometimes you can't see everything your child is doing. I would have no problem with someone telling my child off if they were doing the wrong thing or even yelling at them (I'd have a problem if swear words were used or they touched my child in any way except to move them off their child if they were hurting them which has never happened).

Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    So I just arrived and my kids went straight for the ball pit where my 4 year old got picked on by another boy similar aged.

At first he just pegged balls at my DS (who cried but he is quite sensitive) at his face and I just told him to walk away.

He proceeded to go to the back of the maze and start to climb when the boy chased him down and and grabbed his legs ripping his socks off and my son cried again and reached out to take his socks back... When my boy reached to take his socks back he started hitting DS in the face and chest.

By now I was trying to call out and say to leave him alone as they were at the back of maze and I couldn't really get in there. Then the little boy got up on a step to block DS's exit and proceeded to kick him hard in the face and my DS could not go forward or back.

So I started to raise my voice and panicking I yelled out an almighty 'HEY - LEAVE HIM ALONE' it was a lot louder than I meant and a bunch of mothers came over to see if it was their kid but I generally thought this kid might break DS's nose.

It worked and the boy walked away (probably traumatised) and DS has a few red marks on his face but nothing broken and now feeling a bit sheepish.

So question is - did I over react? Would you do the same in the same situation?!?