+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hernia repair, pregnancy and c section

Hi there!

I had an umbilical hernia repair about 18 months ago. It ended up being a bigger operation than expected, the hernia was quite deep and they used a lot of mesh.

The surgeon did say at the time that he would prefer to leave it until we had finished our family. But at tge time I didnt know when that was going to be, and it really needed to be done, so we proceeded. Afterwards the doc said he was glad he did it when he did as it was large and could have been dangerous.

I am now 13 weeks pregnant and already feeling pulling pains across the scar. My ob doesnt seem to think it will be too much of a problem during pregnancy. He did however say we might want to consider a c section as it can cause issues during birth. Some reading suggested planned c sections are preferable as if an emergency section were required mesh is hard to cut through, and difficult to get bub out quickly. But dont they do c sections further down than the belly button?

Just wondering if there are any others out there who had a mesh construction prior to pregnancy. Did it hurt or did you have issues during pregnancy? Did you need a c section? Any experiences would be great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I will write a reply later when I have more time. I had mine fixed as a emergency at 19 weeks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Patience86  (06-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Patience86 View Post
    Some reading suggested planned c sections are preferable as if an emergency section were required mesh is hard to cut through, and difficult to get bub out quickly. But dont they do c sections further down than the belly button?
    Can't help with much of your post - but can hopefully with this part!!

Yeps - caesareans are usually done just above the pubic hair line or "bikini line".

However since you mention that it was an extensive repair the mesh could potentially extend that far down.

Also having previous abdominal surgery puts you at risk of adhesions (where organs and tissues stick together when they shouldn't be!!) can also make it difficult to get to the uterus - I've seen it take 30+ minutes to get through adhesions before being able to deliver the baby (normally takes 5-10 minutes) which obviously isn't ideal for an emergency caesarean especially if it's for foetal distress.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

Patience86  (06-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    Can't help with much of your post - but can hopefully with this part!!

Yeps - caesareans are usually done just above the pubic hair line or "bikini line".

However since you mention that it was an extensive repair the mesh could potentially extend that far down.

Also having previous abdominal surgery puts you at risk of adhesions (where organs and tissues stick together when they shouldn't be!!) can also make it difficult to get to the uterus - I've seen it take 30+ minutes to get through adhesions before being able to deliver the baby (normally takes 5-10 minutes) which obviously isn't ideal for an emergency caesarean especially if it's for foetal distress.
    Ah that makes sense! I have had 3 laps in the past 3 years (for endo) too...not sure if that impacts things. I had a natural birth with my DS and am not against a c section...just want to do the best and safest thing for my baby

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My story.

I developed a large herina with ds2 pregnancy. 2 years later When I had stomach surgery my Dr was going to fix it at the same time. It turned out to be way to big to do than. So years go by and I have this huge umbilical herina that was bigger than a man fist. You see it though my clothes but it never gave me any issues until I fall pregnant with ds3. The first attack was mid flight across the country and last just over 2 hour and I was 4 weeks pregnant. I didn't see anyone about it but now know that's what it was. The next time was half way through dd1 graduation/prom. It lasted 14 hours and I ended up in hospital. I was 17 weeks. They decided to wait until 24 weeks to fix it. So it would be safer on bub. Well at 19 weeks. I was driving home and struggling to stay on the road. My mum came a got me and took me to hospital. I walked in the front door of the er and a nurse came running put of triage. I must have looked awful as there was a line. I was put straight in. I was done as a emergency procedure at 2 am. I was told bub had a 30% survival rate.

Any how I had a massive piece of mesh put in. They said they definitely would have to cut it to do a csection. My scar across my tummy was 12cms long with a bloody fake belly button that didn't heal well.

The hardest part of the pregnancy was 20 week scan on a 3 day old scar. OMG the pain was unbearable. But that because I was freshly cut and had lots of stitches and the tech pressed so freaking hard.

I didn't have any trouble with the scar once it healed. For the rest of the pregnancy.

The surgeon said if the pregnancy of labour affect the mesh or they cut it. It was a way fix. Not to worry.

I chose not to have a csection. I delivered a healthy happy boy natural with no issues from the mesh. It never given me a days trouble since. The hospital was happy with my choice.

I recommend moisturising the scar every day to help with the stretching.
    Now when I wanted my tubes tied it became a problem as in the wouldn't go through the mesh to do it. If I went ahead I would have a massive scar bigger than a csection. I didn't go ahead.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 06-01-2016 at 22:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @LoveLivesHere that sounds horrendous! What an awful experience, but I am glad that everything went OK with the pregnancy after the repair.

Thank you for sharing your experience. After your repair did the hospital offer a section because of the repair of for other reasons? Great that you were able to have a natural birth no problems!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Patience86 View Post
    @LoveLivesHere that sounds horrendous! What an awful experience, but I am glad that everything went OK with the pregnancy after the repair.

Thank you for sharing your experience. After your repair did the hospital offer a section because of the repair of for other reasons? Great that you were able to have a natural birth no problems!
    The hospital preferred me to go natural. They did offer a csection because a previous tear with my 4th. Since I had birthed my 5 th a full face presentation naturally. I was sure I could do it naturally.

I did have complexation but the was because he was sixth and I reacted to induction drug. They induced me due to a cancer scare.
    It was a bloody horrible pregnancy that brought a absolute blessing to our life.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 07-01-2016 at 08:50.