+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to toilet train a speech delayed toddler?

DD is 2 and 8 months. We've had no success toilet training as communication is difficult. She has a significant speech delay and only has some single words. Just wanted tips on how you've toilet trained a non verbal or speech delayed toddler??
    The worst part is she has 2 similar aged cousins who were both trained before 2.5 and she's always getting compared. They don't realise it was much easier since both other kids spoke in full sentences and just ask to go to the toilet and understood when told that they'll be wearing undies from now on. I can't seem to get DD to understand or interact re toilet training.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to toilet train a speech delayed toddler?

Harder said than done but don't compare!!!
    Both of mine were dry day and night within a few days and did it when they were ready. A friend pushed her eldest for well over a year with no success, she just wasn't ready! Her younger sibling was dry before the elder.
    If comments are made just say you are concentrating on speech and toileting will come in time x
    Last edited by Mmumm; 06-01-2016 at 14:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd is 3 this month and still not toilet trained and there's nothing wrong with her speech....

Is your dd showing an interest or is it just because of her age that you feel the need to toilet train?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Steph12  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS didn't train until after he was 3, but got the idea very quickly. She might just not be ready yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    From a parent who's child toilet trained way later than his peers - please try not to compare!

Your DD is more than likely just not ready, and that's totally fine. There's no magic age or deadline, she will be ready in her own time.

My DS also has a speech/language delay and I believe it certainly contributed to him being later to TT.

I suggest giving it a little rest and trying again in a month. If you have an iPad or tablet, a decent toilet training app might be helpful for her to watch - we got a potty training social story app for DS and I do think it helped. There's a clip called 'Tom's toilet triumph' that you can source online too.

The visual aids can really help with kids that aren't very verbal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Steph12  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As PPs have said, please try not to compare.

My DD was daytime 'trained' by 21 months (I used early toilet learning - like elimination communication but starting closer to 1). DS wouldn't have a bar of that method, so at 2.5 we've started the more typical way. His language isn't delayed, but has always been way behind where his sister was at the same age, and I do think this is a contributing factor as well. She learns well by having things explained in detail and being shown, DS is more of a 'do-er' and so far this seems to be the case with TT as well.

I'll say this again though, please don't compare (or listen to other people when comparing), as every child is a unique individual with so many factors contributing to their learning of any new skill.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Steph12  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, wait until she is a little bigger. Both of my boys had severe speech and hearing issues that weren't sorted until just after they turned 3. We tried to TT DS1 at 2.5yo cause he showed signs of being ready and we were being pressured by family. He was unable to communicate except for meltdowns. It caused us more stress and frustration trying, that we gave up for my mental health.

Left it for a year (he started preschool after his b'day), saw others doing it, was by then able to communicate better, and he got it with in a very short while.

Didn't bother trying early with DS2 after the struggles with DS1. The only issue I had was dealing with nasty comments from my Grandmother about why he still in nappies at 3. Everyone else around us, understood after seeing what we went through previous.

Their little sister has only just TT this summer at 3 1/4 yo (and she has no speech or hearing issues!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lolly137 For This Useful Post:

Steph12  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there. My dd has a severe speech delay and is just turning 4 and is toilet trained nigjt and day. Im only telling you that to give you hope that a delay in speech will not make toliet training impossible not to compare our children. I started when she was 3 years 4 months. She couldn't tell me she needed to go and I wasn't sure she understood using the bathroom.. She followed me to the toilet alot so I would just hand her toilet paper and she would pretend to go and I would give praise. I found the potty the best as I could leave it out so she could see it. I would just sit her on when changing nappies and expain in two to three words what would happen on the potty. Then I would put undies on for a day and put her on every couple of hours and say do wees. If she had an accident I would tell her its ok put her on the potty and say wees on potty. If I could catch her just as she was about wee/poo I would put her on the potty and celebrate with her. She didn't understand reward charts or anything like that but she loved praise. Eventually she would just pick up the potty and go her self. I must point out that she was having long dry spells during the day before we started and waking up dry in the morning before I got rid of nappies altogether. Honestly the one thing I have learnt through her speech delay is that kids are all different and they will do things at their Iwn pace when they are ready...and thats ok.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lilywithme For This Useful Post:

Steph12  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't compare your daughter to her cousins. Every child is different. My kids are 2yrs and 2 months apart, and my youngest was toilet trained way before my eldest. Some kids get it earlier, others are later. My eldest was still wearing pull ups to bed until she was about 8. She is 11 now, and totally fine. My youngest was out of nappies at two. It can be a bit frustrating, but don't push her, she will get the hint eventually. My eldest didn't walk until she was about 18 months and she wasn't saying very much at around your little girl's age either. Now she has caught up and is a normal chatty girl.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (07-01-2016),Steph12  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son could talk at that age but didn't toilet train till nearly 4 and still wears nappies for a poo. Don't stress. She's still so little.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Steph12  (08-01-2016)