+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi1987 View Post
    Its not just $4 though, my gp bulk bills kids but not adults, I need 70 for an appointment + the script was 6.60 last time I filled one
    My GP is the same, and even as a 1.5 income family a $70 upfront fee stings!

I wish that medicare worked like private health insurance funds, where you only had to pay the out of pocket amount upfront. Would make life much easier and health care so much more affordable and attainable...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm sure it's dependent on where you live but aren't there clinics that only bulk bill? My GP varied on whether he charged me for a visit or not, not sure what criteria he used when he chose to bulk bill me but we did have certain surgeries I could choose to go to instead that only bulk-billed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some still bulk bill but they're getting a bit few and far between (where I live anyway). I haven't gone to the one I know of as they don't make appointments, so you can literally be waiting for hours to get seen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    IME bulk billing even for HCC is becoming harder and harder to find, and the GP's that will are booked out literally 2 months in advance.

In one dr's surgery here locally, they actually emotionally blackmail you into not asking to be bulk billed by having a big sign on the counter "If you value the service and expertise we provide to the community, please don't ask to be bulk billed". Yes bc a 5 min consult to look in your ears or throat and write a prescription for AB's is really worth 90 bucks

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (06-01-2016),~Marigold~  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I'm sure it's dependent on where you live but aren't there clinics that only bulk bill? My GP varied on whether he charged me for a visit or not, not sure what criteria he used when he chose to bulk bill me but we did have certain surgeries I could choose to go to instead that only bulk-billed.
    I'm rural NSW, the clinics font bulk bill adults unless they're a reoccurring patient (pregnant etc)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default No job, no baby

I'm going to be very unpopular here and say that I agree with this to an extent. Not that any woman on welfare should have to take contraception in order to receive it, but there should be some sort of a threshold applied.
    If you have 3 children already and are receiving parenting payments which you rely on in order to provide for your family, should you really be adding to your family and expecting the government to continue funding it?
    Most non welfare dependant families will major decisions on how many children they have factoring in their financial position. A lot would love to have more children but take measures to stop that happening because they can't afford it. If those people can be responsible about family planning then why not people who receive welfare for their families? Particularly the ones who basically have no other income?
    Edited to add - not saying that all people on welfare don't make these decisions too, but clearly some don't.
    I would not have a problem with some ruling on parenting only payments being subject to family planning controls once you already have a certain number of children. Or at least there is no increase to what you already receive for each subsequent child.
    Yes, contraception is not fool proof but if you can show that you have at least tried to do something and spoken to your Dr and have implemented some sort of family planning measures (be it the male or female) then still fall pregnant you're still eligible for payments.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sejimumma For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wonder how much of a problem this actually is? (As in - unemployed parents sitting around on welfare & having more kids to get more welfare). In my (limited) world, I only knoe one family like this,who have been on welfare long term (20+) years who keep having kids every 4ish years. Everone else I know who has been on welfare has needed it short term for a 'legitimate' (for lack of a better word) reason - either becomig a single parent, needing to re train, in between jobs, having disabilities or injuries preventing them from working for a time. I dont think many people actually WANT to be on welfare - I certainly dont envy anyone living on very little $$ & being unable to work. Its not like theyre living it up with a life of leisure and luxury, its hard. I know this might be common in other areas, but I just dont see the long-term 'dole bludgers' at all where I am from, & I wonder if it is being made out to be more of an issue than it actually is?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (07-01-2016),Crazyfiasco  (07-01-2016),hopeful1986  (07-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I wonder how much of a problem this actually is? (As in - unemployed parents sitting around on welfare & having more kids to get more welfare). In my (limited) world, I only knoe one family like this,who have been on welfare long term (20+) years who keep having kids every 4ish years. Everone else I know who has been on welfare has needed it short term for a 'legitimate' (for lack of a better word) reason - either becomig a single parent, needing to re train, in between jobs, having disabilities or injuries preventing them from working for a time. I dont think many people actually WANT to be on welfare - I certainly dont envy anyone living on very little $$ & being unable to work. Its not like theyre living it up with a life of leisure and luxury, its hard. I know this might be common in other areas, but I just dont see the long-term 'dole bludgers' at all where I am from, & I wonder if it is being made out to be more of an issue than it actually is?
    The main issue is that for families on welfare with several children it is not financial worth it to work. The welfare system is set up in such a way that going into work can put you in a worse financial situation, especially if they are not qualified and go into low paying jobs. In certain areas they may be at risk of losing public housing, rent assistance, FTB drop, parenting payments are cut etc. And there is also the added expense of childcare/after school care. Even if they are better off its by a very small amount and they are working all day long, it's not worth it.

As for birth control I think it should be free and offered. I think seeing a GP should be free. But forcing someone into birth control is a very dangerous move and touches on human rights issues. It's also sexist considering only women are targeted... But then again Australia doesn't exactly have the best track record at treating women with equality.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (07-01-2016),Frankenmum  (07-01-2016),hopeful1986  (07-01-2016),KitiK  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    The problem with setting limits on children you are paid for is that things are rarely black and white.

What about the SAHM with 3 young children, married to a guy that works FT they get only get a small amount of FTB. They plan a 4th and get pg. Half way through the pg she finds out he's been having an affair, leaves and goes on single payments. The 4th child is born on benefits. How is setting a limit of say 3, fair to this woman... or the child for that matter?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-01-2016),~Marigold~  (07-01-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    The problem with setting limits on children you are paid for is that things are rarely black and white.

What about the SAHM with 3 young children, married to a guy that works FT they get only get a small amount of FTB. They plan a 4th and get pg. Half way through the pg she finds out he's been having an affair, leaves and goes on single payments. The 4th child is born on benefits. How is setting a limit of say 3, fair to this woman... or the child for that matter?
    Exactly. The sweeping generalisations and assumptions being made by this twa.t are ludicrous. There are a range of circumstances and life events that are not being considered.

BH starred out the word t w a t ? Lol...Ok.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (07-01-2016),delirium  (07-01-2016)