How do you tell your toddler 'No'? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you tell your toddler 'No'?

So, how do you tell your toddler 'No' and get them to stop doing things?

My DS is 14 months. He's doing things I don't want him to do, like touching the oven, pulling the cables out of the tv, etc. I tell him 'No', but he thinks it's all a big game, and laughs at me, or runs off like I'm chasing him then goes back to it, etc!

How do I tell him 'No', and get him to stop what he's doing?? I've tried using a loud, serious voice, saying 'No', and 'Uh uh', that sort of thing - no luck. I've tried distraction, such as moving him to something else - but he's persistent, and goes back to what he was doing! I've tried putting him in his playpen, but he screams, and escalates...

I think he understands some things I say to him - but I just don't think he gets that 'No' means I want him to stop - and /or he just enjoys all the attention!

Is it just a matter of being patient until he understands more? How do you get through to your kids? Is this something I'm going to be asking until after he's a teenager?? Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id love to know this as well. My 22 month old still does it. No matter what. He thinks it's all a big game. Some days I want to pull my hair out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha my 2.5 year old ds rolls his eyes at me when i tell him no and doesn't move. He stops ... but just stands there giving me a dirty look. I try the time out route or go to your room. It works ... for about 10 seconds 😒

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son is 18 months, we've been dealing with this for a while so I feel your pain!
    He thinks my loud and 'serious' voice is funny when I tell him not to do something, so he'll keep doing it to hear it again, argh!

One tip that we've found pretty effective is to tell him what he should be doing, rather than what he shouldn't do. So for example, at the moment he's really into climbing, so we tell him something like "DS, feet go on the floor! …yay, your feet are on the floor!" and that works a lot better than "Stop climbing!".

Other than that, just a lot of patience and persistence. We've found that most behaviours don't last that long, before he moves onto something else.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (16-07-2016),JustJaq  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He sounds very busy like my DS.

Persistence, patience and lots of praise for the good behaviour... It's kind of working but there is always something he shouldn't be doing so always a new challenge, hehe.

You are not alone x

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A combination of things. Same as Deku - positive reinforcement of the desired behaviour. Plus, give a reason. Eg. Stop! Hot oven! Oven is hot! (regardless of if it is on or not) and put your own hand 1cm away from it and act out "ouch! hot!" waving your hand like it is hurt. Positive reinforcement work really well for DD, with DS he's taken a bit longer and is more likely to do something just to get attention.

At the end of the day though, at that age they are just not going to 'get' a lot of it just yet (they will soon) and will keep doing dangerous things. So I'm of the opinion that if they need to scream in their playpen for 5 minutes while I do something essential without them injuring themselves, so be it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (05-01-2016),meandmyboys82  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. DS spent the morning trying to climb the coffee table every time I looked away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As others have said lots of positive reinforcement, distraction and a great bucket load of patience! My youngest is 3 and often ignores me still. But it is better than it was - so chin up and deep breaths 😊

12. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me:
    1. make everything really dangerous off limits. Put up barriers/attach furniture to the walls etc.if it's really a hazard. Removes temptation.
    2. Pick your battles. Only try to stop them if it's really important. If they might get hurt, but it wouldn't be a serious injury, just a warning of "if you fall off, it will hurt" is enough for me. They'll still do it (at this age, they won't fully underdstand the warning anyway, but it's good practice), and they'll get hurt, but that's their choice. They'll learn their boundaries by doing that.
    3. There shouldn't be a lot left that you REALLY need to stop them from doing now. Brief instruction of what to do, followed by distraction/moving them away if they keep at it.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (16-07-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (05-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you tell your toddler 'No'?

Apparently until the are 3 they know something is wrong and will do it anyway. One of the only things I taught my toddler was STOP. And to stop and freeze. We lived on a busy road and without fail if I said stop like I meant it he stopped. I only used it when I really needed too.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (16-07-2016),JustJaq  (05-01-2016)