+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6.5 month old sleep issues

Hi everyone, I was just wondering any tips or books or experience that you may have to help with my 6.5 month olds sleeping problems. I am absolutely exhausted and feel like I never get a break.
    I struggle to get my baby to sleep in his cot in the day unless I feed him to sleep, but when I persevere I sometimes have luck. When I put him in he just plays in his cot and after a while starts screaming. I have tried shorter/longer awake times beforehand but nothing works. Regardless of how I put him to bed he wakes up within half an hour and screams if I don't come and get him, he knows I hate hearing my baby cry. I try to put his dummy back in but no, nothing will get him to sleep unless I put him in the ergo. I have tried tizzy hall save our sleep method, but can never do it because I can't stand to hear his crying for long.
    Also in the evening before his night sleep I always feed him to sleep on our bed, and then put him in his cot once he is asleep (this has been really easy for me) he will sleep the first half of the night ok (his night, not my night, I go to bed later) but after he wakes up the first time he screams unless I feed him. So I always feed him, but after that I know he is going to be up and down for the rest of the night. I have to continuously feed him/put his dummy in/settle him for the rest of the night, otherwise he starts screaming. (So I only get a few hours solid sleep at the start and that's it). I usually end up sleeping him in my bed for the second half of the night since I am way too exhausted to stand up and take him back to his cot multiple times for the rest of the night. But I am not sleeping well while cosleeping, for some reason I just can't.

I love my baby with everything I am, and love cosleeping and sleeping my baby in the ergo for the bonding aspect, and spending time with my baby, but I am getting absolutely exhausted, I need sleep, I need a break, but I just can't get it. I just don't know what to do about it.

I appreciate your help. Thank you.
    Last edited by Jane17031703; 05-01-2016 at 11:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you considered hiring a sleep consultant or going to a sleep school? If your baby isn't used to settling himself (ie likes to be fed or held to sleep) and your trying to help him self-settle now it may be really hard.

I personally found books left me feeling like a failure and in tears. There is no one size fits all. Save our Sleep didn't work for us, others swear by it. You could also try Pinky McKay's book or the No Cry sleep solution. I haven't personally read either but friends have used these.

Whatever you decide to do try to be consistent. If you're feeding to sleep one day and leaving him to self settle another it's very confusing for bub.

Best of luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    During the night after the first wake up and feed, can you get your partner to settle DS?

My DP can settle our DD overnight (most of the time, sometimes she is actually hungry not just after comfort) but I cannot settle her without feeding / co-sleeping because she knows I have milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How many batches of 30 mins does he do in the day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your help guys. He sleeps 3 times a day for half hour

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jane17031703 For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    What is his awake time?

I know you said you've tried different times, but as a PP mentioned if you're doing something different too often bub is confused.

Getting babies to sleep better is all about consistency. Make sure you try 1 change at a time and make sure you try the same thing each and every time. Also waking bub at the same time every day is a great first step to consistency.

I also recommend keeping a lot of when bub wakes, when you try and out them to sleep, when they actually fall asleep and when they wake up again. You might get a better idea of what bubs awake time should be

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6.5 month old sleep issues

I can't help with the night wakes, but I understand your frustration with the days. My dd did three 30 min batches from age 6 weeks until 10 mths.

I agree with above about doing a log of what time he actually falls asleep in the day and try only putting him to sleep at that time the next day. I guess I'm still no help, I was never able to get her out of the mini naps until she just naturally fell into having one 1-1.5 hr sleep in the middle of the day at 10 mths.
    Last edited by Kazza78; 05-01-2016 at 20:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi. Firstly hugs. I feel your pain. To be so bone tired that the thought of another at as primary carer is daunting is a feeling I'm familiar with.

Currently in the UK for a holiday but before we left I was in the same boat. My DD was sick as soon as we landed tho and since having her in bed with me the whole trip I've not only had more sleep as can feed lying down but have watched her fall asleep. I'm definitely anti CIO but having her in bed next to me I can see that on occasion she does need to cry a little.. Less than 5 mins for her to settle. I'm right there lying next to her and it's been fascinating to watch her go to sleep all by herself. I truly believe that at almost 6 months she can now finally put herself to sleep if she's relaxed and tired enough. If she's howling then she isn't tired and/or the place is unfamiliar.

I've been lying down with her for every nap in my bed and rolling out when she's asleep or sleeping and having a nap with her. What this experiment of has done tho is allowed my body to recharge.

Can you lie down with him in your bed for day naps so you can rest also?

My DH has been sleeping in a separate room here so it's given me a good opportunity to do all this. We go back to Oz today and I really need to get her back in the cot.

My plan is to lie down with her in my bed and transfer to her cot. Will keep you posted!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like my 4mth old. Up 4+ times a night, catnaps during the day, only settles if being held or sleepfeeds on breast. I'm hiring a sleep consultant as more than 2-3 night wakings just not necessary and i know me and my breasts are his sleep association preventing him getting back off to sleep.
    Difficult for me at the moment due to having 2 older children

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6.5 month old is very similar. The only joy we had was getting DP to settle her during the night. I still had to feed to sleep in the first instance and transfer her to the cot, and also feed at least once during the night but DP sung and patted her back to sleep the other times. I think the key was that she knew DP didn't have milk. She woke up less and less over a few days until she only woke once during the night.

DP has gone back overseas for work and it's all turned to crap again but it was good while it lasted!