+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! 2.5 year old won't sleep in his room

Ds1 is 2.5 and all of a sudden doesn't want to sleep in his own room. We recently introduced his toddler bed, and he slept in it no probs for almost a week. He has day naps in the no probs too. The past few nights he acts like he's afraid and will only sleep with us in our bed. This is not something i want him to do. He's very restless and kicks around alot. It also took him a long time to fall asleep lastnight.
    We have 3 month old ds2 in our room still also.
    The first night i sat with him in his room for an hour trying to get him to sleep, and then another hour pretending to sleep on his floor hoping he'd fall asleep. No good.

How do we get ds1 to be ok with sleeping in his own room again?
    We try to keep putting him back in bed but as soon as dh or i leave the room he starts crying and runs out of his room. He has a night light so the room isn't completely dark.
    I'm exhausted after 3 nights in a row of minimal sleep.
    I can't have him crying and screaming the house down as dh works super early and ds2 needs to sleep.
    Please help!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help! 2.5 year old won't sleep in his room

Is it possible to reintroduce the cot? I know he did ok with the toddler bed for a little while but clearly it's not working now.

With a baby to contend with toddlers tend to regress and crave the time/routine/familiarity of when they were the only one. My toddler is back in nappies even though she was practically toilet trained and I thought she was coping ok with dd2 here. But all of a sudden she stopped going to the potty.

You can always try the toddler bed again in a few months.

I hear you on the lack of sleep too! If it's not the baby then it's the toddler sigh...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought of putting him back in the cot, but we need the cot for ds2 when i go back to work next month.
    I asked his daycare teacher this morning. Her dd1 went through the same thing. She said don't put the cot back in. To Just keep trying. Keep taking him back to his room until he goes to sleep. But i know with my ds1 it could go on all night and i will get fed up and just let him sleep in our bed. I have low tolerance when I'm overtired! Lol!
    Also she saidit took 2 weeks of that until her dd1 stayed in her room in her toddler bed without coming out anymore. TWO WEEKS! 😨

5. The Following User Says Thank You to meandmyboys82 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing to reply later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does he have a nightlight or lamp in his room? Could be he doesn't like the dark or needs more light.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmyboys82 View Post
    I thought of putting him back in the cot, but we need the cot for ds2 when i go back to work next month.
    I asked his daycare teacher this morning. Her dd1 went through the same thing. She said don't put the cot back in. To Just keep trying. Keep taking him back to his room until he goes to sleep. But i know with my ds1 it could go on all night and i will get fed up and just let him sleep in our bed. I have low tolerance when I'm overtired! Lol!
    Also she saidit took 2 weeks of that until her dd1 stayed in her room in her toddler bed without coming out anymore. TWO WEEKS! 😨
    Good advice. Persistance is a must as hard as it will be ☺

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

meandmyboys82  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Does he have a nightlight or lamp in his room? Could be he doesn't like the dark or needs more light.
    I have some coloured lantern lights from kmart that i have up in the corner. So not too bright but not dark.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Could he get a new cuddle toy or something that he picks to help soothe him? A special treat to encourage bedtime?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Could he get a new cuddle toy or something that he picks to help soothe him? A special treat to encourage bedtime?
    He's got 3 cuddle toys he won't sleep without (a mummy rabbit, a bubby rabbit and a bubby panda - that's what he calls them he only started calling them bubby and mummy after ds2 was born) . Plus he has muslin cloths or facewashers he chews on, he can't sleep without them, he'll chew or suck on them all night.
    I think part of it might be jealousy that ds2 is still in our room. But I'm not ready to put him in his own room just yet. Dh said he thinks ds1 is genuinely scared too though, just from the way he cries/screams.
    I've tried getting him to pick out new toys, which he does, but doesn't take them to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmyboys82 View Post
    He's got 3 cuddle toys he won't sleep without (a mummy rabbit, a bubby rabbit and a bubby panda - that's what he calls them he only started calling them bubby and mummy after ds2 was born) . Plus he has muslin cloths or facewashers he chews on, he can't sleep without them, he'll chew or suck on them all night.
    I think part of it might be jealousy that ds2 is still in our room. But I'm not ready to put him in his own room just yet. Dh said he thinks ds1 is genuinely scared too though, just from the way he cries/screams.
    I've tried getting him to pick out new toys, which he does, but doesn't take them to bed.
    Well scratch that idea! Lol

I'm not sure what the answer is except to persevere maybe?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

meandmyboys82  (05-01-2016)