Perth first timer and a little overwhelmed | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard good things about both OPH and Joondalup. With KEMH you will find that you won't get accepted as a patient unless you are in their catchment area or you are high risk. Your GP can refer you there but it's likely that referral will get redirected to whichever public hospital you are in the catchment area for.

Catchment areas for each hospital are listed here: http://www.kemh.health.wa.gov.au/hav...l_for_care.htm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Perth first timer and a little overwhelmed

I delivered at Subi and loved it. I had ds1&2 in nsw and ds3 in Perth and I can honestly say SJOG Subi was the best experience by far. The midwives were amazing.

I have a friend who just had her 4th and went public, she was more than happy with her experience. She had a water birth and was home 4 hours after Bub was born. If u like I can ask her where she had him?? They live in Gwelup but I know she didn't go to Osborne Park.

😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    I've heard good things about both OPH and Joondalup. With KEMH you will find that you won't get accepted as a patient unless you are in their catchment area or you are high risk. Your GP can refer you there but it's likely that referral will get redirected to whichever public hospital you are in the catchment area for.

Catchment areas for each hospital are listed here: http://www.kemh.health.wa.gov.au/hav...l_for_care.htm
    This is true aside from the birth centre. I am FAR out of the KEMH catchment but there is no problem going to the FBC

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

michellek  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my first at St. John's subi and my 2nd/3rd (twins) at KEMH. I can honestly say I preferred mostly the care I got at KEMH. The wait times for appointments was annoying but they have a free creche that you can put your other kids in. I wasn't impressed with the varying opinions of the midwives at St. John's, I found it very confusing as a ftm. My baby was tube fed for a few days and mix fed after and I found the breast feeding info given to me inconsistent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Homebirth? There is a community midwifery program through the government that I think is basically free. Homebirth is an amazing option and such a. Beautiful way to give birth. There are also amazing midwives that are independent but they cost about $5500. Look up my midwives Perth for more info

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found SJOG to be very disorganized, as mentioned in my previous comment I had an elective c-section.
    I was in the operating table and had the spinal tap at 11:35, my baby wasn't born until 11:56 as they had to wait for the Paediatrician, when he came in (20 minutes late) he just said 'sorry, they double booked me, I did next door first'. My OB was furious!

I found that we were treated as just another number for nearly the entire stay - we had two amazing midwives, the rest were mediocre. I made a formal complaint about one midwife who told me that I spelt my sons name wrong (Connor, she thinks it should be spent Conor) and she also told us that our son should be sleeping on his side and actually laid him on his side!!! I still can't believe a midwife told us to against the SIDS recommendations, it still makes me angry!!

The hospital called me in December (2 months after my son was born and 2 months after my complaint) to apologise for the midwife.

If we have another baby, I will go to Glengarry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I am a postgraduate Student Midwife in Perth. I am already a Registered Nurse who works in a Neonatal unit. For my studies I need to follow the pregnacy/labour and birth of 10 different women.

We aim to attend atleast 4 antenatal appointment, the birth if possible and then 2 postnatal appointments.

If you live in Perth and are looking for a student midwife to support you through your journey please contact me

Would love to follow some women at KEMH, birth centre, Community Midwifery Program or FSH

My email is sophiewynne@hotmail.com