+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Perth first timer and a little overwhelmed

We had ivf and I'm in my seventh week. It all worked so surprisingly quickly and I'm now somewhere between trying to contain the morning sickness, fretting about the 7 week scan and ... freaking out because if I don't get in early surely all the good docs will be booked out!?!

i have Medibank private with maternity cover because I needed it for Ivf. My IVF doc delivers at SJOG Subi. But the more I read about it the more I'm unsure whether private is for me. My thoughts are:

i want to be safe, just in case.

Id rather save money towards the next round of ivf / some extra breastfeeding support / postnatal pelvic training than splurge on candle light dinners in hospital. I couldn't care less about decor.

i like my home. I have no one else to look after and a super supportive fiancé / by the time hubby. And I hate hospitals.

I think I have a high pain threshold if I know what is happening. But I hate being patronised, or not being responded to.

I would prefer a natural birth if possible.

My biggest fear is that some random student stitches me up poorly... (I hear that a lot).

i have signed up to the "Choices in childbirth" workshop at "TheBump". My initial lean is towards the birthing centre / emkh.

am I making a huge mistake by going public even though I could afford private?
    Last edited by NORgirl; 04-01-2016 at 21:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great idea to use the bump as a resource. I think it sounds like you are on the right track with the family birth centre. Have you done a tour yet? Do the tour ASAP and just see how you feel. I find that most people have a feeling pretty quickly if it's for them or not. What is your closes public hospital?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I delivered at sjog subi - and I had a vaginal delivery, there weren't any students in the delivery room, they were open to me using minimal pain relief (I had an epi in the end but that was my choice) and I loved having the midwives on call the first couple of days to help with breastfeeding etc. I would go back there in a heartbeat for my next baby. But everyone is different and what's good for me is not necessarily the same for you!

Have you booked into the family birthing centre already? I remember looking at it before I was pregnant and I wasn't eligible because they only take low risk patients. I was higher risk because I've had previous cervical surgeries but I can't remember if they also don't accept ivf pregnancies? What is your public hospital option if you don't get accepted into the birth centre? That would influence my decision also! Good luck with your choice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    FBC have been great for me. I've had 2 (soon to hopefully be 3) babies there and can't fault them at all.

We didn't have private cover but I wouldn't have wasted my money on it TBH. To me the FBC has the best of both worlds, hands off low risk care with back up if you need it.

I've also had mixed reviews of SJOG Subi. Some have loved it and others have had a nightmarish experience.

Oh and the birth centre take IVF pregnancies, just not high risk for any other reason.

It's great there and they now do MGP so you see the one midwife the whole way along, she hopefully delivers your baby, then you see her for your postnatal care also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 2 pregnancies through the fbc, dd was as perfect as possible with the care before, during and after.

I ended up with an elective cs with ds, transferred to kemh at 37wks due to him being footling breech. I had an amazing experience there considering it was polar opposite to my dd's birth. I was disappointed in the way my situation was handled by the fbc, as were the staff at kemh when they received my file

We have no maternity cover on our phi but it was always a hope for me to go to the fbc after such positive experiences from friends. *if* we go for #3 though, it will take some serious thought as I obviously couldn't vbac there

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an elective c-section at SJOG Subi and while I love my OB, I did not enjoy SJOG and regret not going to Glengarry.

Which public hospital is in your area?

Thanks
    Reviews
    FBC at KEMH is Great, you can also do a domino birth at the family birth centre under the care of the community midwifery program.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were in your position when we found out we were pregnant. To go private or public? We have the cover, so should we use it?

After talking to a lot of friends, random families with kids, coworkers and health professionals (right down to the lady performing a blood test.. LOL) we made the decision to go public.

It's all about what you're comfortable with. You will get top notch care with public as much as you will with private - so at the end of the day, it's what feels right for you. So don't be scared into thinking you get better care because it's private.

We preferred to save the money for things we needed as first time parents rather than stretch ourselves paying private hosp bills on top of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I am mid way between Osborne park and Joondalup but would probably go for King Edward if I had to. As for private I'm close to Glengarry.

thanks to those who shared bad experiences. It would be great if you could also say a bit more about which part you were unhappy with?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Perth first timer and a little overwhelmed

I was booked into Osborne park with DS and found their antenatal care excellent. Unfortunately on the day I went into labour they were full so I was transferred by ambulance to Joondalup. They were amazing! New hospital and I had a positive experience there.

With this pregnancy I am with a combination of Glengarry until 20 weeks then kemh after (high risk). I have been admitted to kemh for other reasons and always found them great, and glengarry is lovely too...great nurses and nice rooms.

With DS We had private health but chose to go public to save money. This time, The only reason I am with glengarry until 20 weeks is that I need immune treatment throughout this pregnancy and my OB is connected with glengarry.

Honestly, you will get great care at any of these places