+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had both laundries as you describe, an Old Queenslander open batoned wall and cement floor one and cupboard in a flash warehouse unit.

The Queenslander under the house one, always felt a bit dirty. I didn't feel comfortable going there at night either. However, it was close to the washing line, and it wasn't noisy.

The cupboard was just that, a cupboard. There was only room for my machine, and a tiny space between the machine and the floor where I fitted my washing powder. No shelf, no room for baskets, never mind iron and board, or any other laundry related thing.

If you can have space for those things in a cupboard, I can see it working quite well.

Actually i'd just about kill for that cupboard now, my current "laundry" is a washing machined jammed into my bathroom. Luckily I did have space to install a laundry cupboard this time. I'm also going to take a tip from a PP and look on Pinterest for some small space bathroom ideas. Actually is very relevant right now as my machine pipes are leaking and I have to get a plumber out to rip up the floor. Sooooo that bumps the bathroom up the list of renovation priorities!!!!!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePixie View Post
    I have had both laundries as you describe, an Old Queenslander open batoned wall and cement floor one and cupboard in a flash warehouse unit.

The Queenslander under the house one, always felt a bit dirty. I didn't feel comfortable going there at night either. However, it was close to the washing line, and it wasn't noisy.

The cupboard was just that, a cupboard. There was only room for my machine, and a tiny space between the machine and the floor where I fitted my washing powder. No shelf, no room for baskets, never mind iron and board, or any other laundry related thing.

If you can have space for those things in a cupboard, I can see it working quite well.

Actually i'd just about kill for that cupboard now, my current "laundry" is a washing machined jammed into my bathroom. Luckily I did have space to install a laundry cupboard this time. I'm also going to take a tip from a PP and look on Pinterest for some small space bathroom ideas. Actually is very relevant right now as my machine pipes are leaking and I have to get a plumber out to rip up the floor. Sooooo that bumps the bathroom up the list of renovation priorities!!!!!

Omg, after I watched season 1 of true detective I couldn't go down there at night for months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Combination washer/dryer - laundry in a cupdoard

I have a cupboard in the house we just recently bought.

It is doable. We stack the dryer on top of the washer, but there is no room for a hamper (and I like to have more than one to sort clothing). The laundry is in the 2nd bathroom though, so if the kids shower they use our ensuite and the shower is where the hamper goes.

We have some cupboard space which is plenty for detergents and we can also put the DustBuster etc in there too.

It bothers me a lot less than I thought it would, probably co the location of the house is awesome. Worst house/best street sorta thing.
    Last edited by misho; 06-01-2016 at 07:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as we have been thinking of doing the exact same thing. We have a semi-outdoor laundry which is hopeless, uninsulated, dank & gross :/ it's behind the kitchen so we're hoping to use that as walk-in pantry / storage and convert our linen cupboard to a laundry with washer/dryer stacked on one side and storage on the other...I hadn't thought of ventilation issues so that's good to keep in mind 👍🏻

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had a cupboard laundry in an apartment once. It was just XH and I, so we didn't need to use a dryer, so I can't comment on that.

Ventilation was still a big issue though. It always smelt damp (brand new apartment!) and because the doors swung open and blocked the entry door when open, it had to stay shut while we were out. Space was tight, so the washing machine door had to be shut when the cupboard was shut - so the washer got this horrible smell about it (again, brand new washer).

So design it in a was that it both has good ventilation and that the washer door can be left open an inch to air out.

Otherwise it was conventient as it was right next to the bathroom which had a space for the hamper and it had a bench and a cupboard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I really like ours. I hate space being taken up by boring practical stuff so it suits me really well.

We used to have a combo with a condenser dryer but by the end of its life it didn't dry things well at all. That being said, it was a million times better than the Ariston one we have now. It dries ok but the washing is average and it's already broken down within the warranty period. Their customer service is possibly worse than the machine itself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dryer sits on top of my front loader, we have a separatist laundry but it has no cupboards so cleaning stuff lives in the hallway cupboard. We had a euro laundry in our bathroom for years and it worked ok, we used to store the dirty washing basket on top of the washing machine so could open the door a crack and throw stuff in.

We had a combo washer/dryer in England and whilst is was over 10yrs ago no one known would I get one, never dried properly and laundry took forever cause you have to wait for the washing to be done to use the dryer - I'm far too impatient for that.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a sorting hamper in the bathroom so I'm not worried about space for storing dirty washing.

I was imagining that a laundry inside the house would allow me to throw a load of washing on each morning before I leave the house so that I am more likely to keep on top of the washing.

I'm getting more sold on the idea of the European laundry but just not sure what white goods will go into it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I have a sorting hamper in the bathroom so I'm not worried about space for storing dirty washing.

I was imagining that a laundry inside the house would allow me to throw a load of washing on each morning before I leave the house so that I am more likely to keep on top of the washing.

I'm getting more sold on the idea of the European laundry but just not sure what white goods will go into it
    Front loader washing machine and dyer sitting on top that shouldn't take up too much room. Or have them side by side so you can put a washing basket on top.
    Agh I wish I had my old separates back.... Stupid combo!