+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Laundry in a cupboard is do-able but I would definitely go a separate washing machine and dryer.

Absolute pain not being able to put on a second load whilst things are going through the dryer.

We still had a laundry sink and small cupboard underneath the sink where we stored cleaning products. I think there was room for an ironing board, broom and vacuum cleaner as well if I remember correctly.

Have no idea what your budget is - but have a look on Pinterest as well to get some ideas and visuals of what other people have done.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I lived in apartments for a lot of my married life with my ex, and we mostly had euro laundries. TBH I really hated it. Nowhere for a laundry trough, washing baskets, nowhere for all that laundry stuff like buckets, mops, cleaning gear etc. But if you're going to keep the other laundry and use the euro one purely for putting loads of washing on then that's fine. Just make sure it's a condenser dryer.
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I've had a makeshift laundry built into the side of a room in a previous house. It was just behind sliding screens and had a floor to ceiling shelving system on the left, washing machine in the centre then sink on the right. No dryer but could have been mounted above washing machine. Have no experience on the combo washer/dryer machines sorry.
    As long as you have ventilation I think it'd be great! If you have a reasonable budget you could make it really nice with shelving, doors, sink etc. tbh I hardly use my laundry sink though and could always make do with kitchen/bathroom sink or large washing pail if needed.
    If you have kitchen/bathroom space or a spare nook I think it's a great idea 😀
    See because my "laundry" isn't a real laundry, it doesn't house the cleaning stuff anyway, the broom/mop combo lives next to the pantry, cleaning products above the linen cupboard and ironing board is an over the door one that lives on the door of the cupboard I am thinking of converting. I'm not too worried about a sink because I barely use the laundry tub and the cupboard is right next to the bathroom. See, we are practically third world in this house .

I am a heavy user of the dryer (don't judge me). I'm just not sure how well both would fit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe we just need to get a grown up house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you fit a frontloader with a dryer stacked on top in the cupboard? There are brackets available which will secure the dryer to the washer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes ^^ my dryer sits on top of my front loader.
    I couldn't imagine only doing one load at a time in a combination one, for hours! I often have both running at once.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you use dryer a lot...I do. .no judgement here! !!... then those combo machines would be awful. I've had them in the past and the dryer is awful.
    I would try stacking them..I have a front loader and my dryer is on top. Works great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    If you use dryer a lot...I do. .no judgement here! !!... then those combo machines would be awful. I've had them in the past and the dryer is awful.
    I would try stacking them..I have a front loader and my dryer is on top. Works great.
    I agree. Plus, if one side of it stops working, then you have a fairly useless machine. You should be able to get a front loader and sit the dryer on top and have it fit. We have bosche units and the dryer has a bracket that sits on top of the washer, the dryer is fixed to that and then the bracket has a pull out shelf. So you can put your basket there to load/unload the dryer. It's great!

I'd also go for a condenser dryer. That's what we have and it is awesome. No more wet walls and windows, no more fluff everywhere and it is better on your clothes too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Washer/dryer combos suck. One load take hours upon hours. I did get used to not having a dryer, though. Been three years now and rarely miss it (I went back to a top loader machine so no room for a dryer).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I agree. Plus, if one side of it stops working, then you have a fairly useless machine. You should be able to get a front loader and sit the dryer on top and have it fit. We have bosche units and the dryer has a bracket that sits on top of the washer, the dryer is fixed to that and then the bracket has a pull out shelf. So you can put your basket there to load/unload the dryer. It's great!

I'd also go for a condenser dryer. That's what we have and it is awesome. No more wet walls and windows, no more fluff everywhere and it is better on your clothes too.
    See not having solid walls in my "laundry" makes all of these ventilation and condensation issues new territory

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a European laundry/laundry cupboard and I hate it. I've had the washer/dryer combo and as others have said if you use the dryer frequently they are not your best option.

All of the issues mentioned already about laundry cupboards like storage etc can be managed if you are creating it from scratch. But the ventilation issue is a big one! I have to leave the doors open and they are not pocket doors so they totally block the way to the powder room. You can vent dryers through the roof though or get a condenser dryer.