+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Combination washer/dryer - laundry in a cupdoard

Does anybody have one of these? What are your thoughts? Would you recommend it?

I am toying with the idea of converting a storage cupboard into a micro laundry because I hate having to go out the door, down the stairs, trip over the dog, walk through ankle deep water in very heavy rain to get to my "laundry".
    Also, does anybody have one of these laundry cupboard set ups? Are they workable?
    I am hoping that I can have room for baskets under the machine, some room on the side for consumables and maybe a rail for hanging things above.
    My "laundry" at present is machines on the concrete slab with batons instead of walls and has some metal shelving and the baskets sit on a broken chair.... so not exactly opulent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friend does. It's in a cupboard in the living room (the wall backs onto the bathroom so is plumbed into that for water disposal.

She makes it work - washing baskets are stored on top of the machines (she has separate washer & dryer). The top of the cupboard is then used for linen storage. I think she has a condenser dryer so it doesn't produce a lot of condensation. She also leaves the cupboard door (sliding) open to allow air flow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a washer / dryer combo and it's ok. It washes well but the dryer function isn't wonderful. If you only use the dryer occasionally it would be fine but if you are planning to use the dryer all the time I'd go separates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had one on our first house, I loved it! Even though our current laundry is huge, it is downstairs and honestly if I had the room upstairs I'd have another European style laundry again in a heartbeat.

Our laundry was behind two custom made sliding doors (doors that went ceiling to floor, not bulkhead to floor if you know what I mean). On the left we had a slim line tub, the washer, dryer was hung above that and then there was a skinny space for mops, brooms etc. Behind the other sliding door we had custom made shelves spanning the entire distance. It was fab and great storage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a laundry cupboard in our bathroom. It works really well for us. We have a front loader washer, dryer above. Small sink and bench space in between the washer and dryer where the laundry baskets go. Cleaning products are in a cupboard under the sink. Next to it we have a long cupboard for broom, mop etc and linen cupbaord next to that. It is super convenient but it is a tight squeeze, I find I have to be very organised in keeping everything neat or it can get cluttered very quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I lived in apartments for a lot of my married life with my ex, and we mostly had euro laundries. TBH I really hated it. Nowhere for a laundry trough, washing baskets, nowhere for all that laundry stuff like buckets, mops, cleaning gear etc. But if you're going to keep the other laundry and use the euro one purely for putting loads of washing on then that's fine. Just make sure it's a condenser dryer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

BluePixie  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I have a washer / dryer combo and it's ok. It washes well but the dryer function isn't wonderful. If you only use the dryer occasionally it would be fine but if you are planning to use the dryer all the time I'd go separates.
    I agree, I ended up selling mine after the kids were born, the dryer took forever to dry, if it dried at all.
    I also found I got a back log of washing as I could only do one or the other.
    This was 6 years ago, they could of improved greatly.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Tproz View Post
    I agree, I ended up selling mine after the kids were born, the dryer took forever to dry, if it dried at all.
    I also found I got a back log of washing as I could only do one or the other.
    This was 6 years ago, they could of improved greatly.
    Nope - mine is 14 months old, $2,300 and much the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had a makeshift laundry built into the side of a room in a previous house. It was just behind sliding screens and had a floor to ceiling shelving system on the left, washing machine in the centre then sink on the right. No dryer but could have been mounted above washing machine. Have no experience on the combo washer/dryer machines sorry.
    As long as you have ventilation I think it'd be great! If you have a reasonable budget you could make it really nice with shelving, doors, sink etc. tbh I hardly use my laundry sink though and could always make do with kitchen/bathroom sink or large washing pail if needed.
    If you have kitchen/bathroom space or a spare nook I think it's a great idea 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a cupboard laundry (in a rental). I don't love it, but I don't hate it as much as I thought I would. I have a separate washer and dryer, and a sink in there. The laundry hamper is in the hallway, which is annoying, but I'm used to it now. I have a nice looking laundry hamper too (for $170 it'd want to be nice lol).
    But yes what annoys me like PP said, is there's nowhere to put empty washing baskets, and all the other laundry things live elsewhere, like ironing board, brooms, buckets etc.

If I had a big house there is no way I'd choose a cupboard laundry. But in your case I think it'd be better than having to go outside.