+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,554
    Thanks
    1,602
    Thanked
    2,360
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default School catchment question

    We're moving to a different suburb in the next few months and will likely be renting initially while we look for something to buy. DD starts school next year so we intend to rent within the catchment of the school we prefer, just in case it takes a while to find the right place to buy.

    So, if DD starts at School A and then we end up buying within the catchment for School B, will she still be able to continue at School A?

    We're in NSW, there are 4 public primary schools in the suburb we're moving to and all are in high demand.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mackay
    Posts
    6,275
    Thanks
    809
    Thanked
    2,399
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know where we live, yes. If she starts at School A while you live in the catchment area for that school she can continue to go there even if you later move out of the catchment area. Its only if you live out of the catchment area prior to her starting (eg live in catchment area for school b but you want to enrol her in school a) that they probably won't accept her enrollment unless there are vacancies (or she goes on a wait list).

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

    Nemmi1987  (04-01-2016)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,554
    Thanks
    1,602
    Thanked
    2,360
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was hoping that's the case. I'll call the school when they're back from school holidays to make sure but that's reassuring, thanks.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    205
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    I know where we live, yes. If she starts at School A while you live in the catchment area for that school she can continue to go there even if you later move out of the catchment area.
    This.

    We had people all time getting 6 month rentals in the catchment area to get their kids into the school and then moved to somewhere more affordable outside the catchment area afterwards.

    Was the sort of school that real estates would advertises houses as "in xyz state school catchment zone" as a major selling point though.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,554
    Thanks
    1,602
    Thanked
    2,360
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    This.

    We had people all time getting 6 month rentals in the catchment area to get their kids into the school and then moved to somewhere more affordable outside the catchment area afterwards.

    Was the sort of school that real estates would advertises houses as "in xyz state school catchment zone" as a major selling point though.
    Yeah one of the schools in the area we're moving to is one of the best in the state and houses cost more within the catchment. I'm not actually overly keen on my kids going to that particular school, I think if parents are going to crazy lengths to get their kids in the school, imagine the pressure on those kids to perform!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,218
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Yeah one of the schools in the area we're moving to is one of the best in the state and houses cost more within the catchment. I'm not actually overly keen on my kids going to that particular school, I think if parents are going to crazy lengths to get their kids in the school, imagine the pressure on those kids to perform!
    Just wanted to add, that many of the schools around where I live are like that, but once they're in, that's it, it's just life as normal. There's no pressure on them whatsoever.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,926
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked
    1,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can I hijack just a little and ask if you're out of the catchment zone but it's your closest school can you go there? We're zoned for one school that is miles away but the local school is just down the road but said were not zoned for it.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,218
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Can I hijack just a little and ask if you're out of the catchment zone but it's your closest school can you go there? We're zoned for one school that is miles away but the local school is just down the road but said were not zoned for it.
    You can put in application for an out of area enrolment, but they are not obliged to take you.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    205
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Yeah one of the schools in the area we're moving to is one of the best in the state and houses cost more within the catchment. I'm not actually overly keen on my kids going to that particular school, I think if parents are going to crazy lengths to get their kids in the school, imagine the pressure on those kids to perform!
    It was just overall a better and nicer school than the other local ones.

    There was no pressure to "perform".

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,926
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked
    1,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    You can put in application for an out of area enrolment, but they are not obliged to take you.
    Thanks apparently no one has to take us except the school 20mins drive away with no public transport even though two closer.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Redlands Hospital catchment area
    By crt22 in forum Seeking a Maternity Hospital
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 16-07-2016, 04:02
  2. West pennant hills catchment
    By ladnan in forum Seeking a Maternity Hospital
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-12-2015, 17:32
  3. Moving catchment area Brisbane
    By Mama Mirabelle in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2015, 12:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Softmats
With so many amazing reversible designs, the soft and cushioned Premium Bubba Mats are the perfect space for all the family. Not only do they look fantastic; you can also enjoy the quality and comfort for years to come.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Baby Sensory
Baby Sensory is the only baby programme that offers a complete approach to learning & development. Our classes offer an exciting world full of fun sensory experiences for parents and babies to enjoy.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!