+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default School catchment question

We're moving to a different suburb in the next few months and will likely be renting initially while we look for something to buy. DD starts school next year so we intend to rent within the catchment of the school we prefer, just in case it takes a while to find the right place to buy.

So, if DD starts at School A and then we end up buying within the catchment for School B, will she still be able to continue at School A?

We're in NSW, there are 4 public primary schools in the suburb we're moving to and all are in high demand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know where we live, yes. If she starts at School A while you live in the catchment area for that school she can continue to go there even if you later move out of the catchment area. Its only if you live out of the catchment area prior to her starting (eg live in catchment area for school b but you want to enrol her in school a) that they probably won't accept her enrollment unless there are vacancies (or she goes on a wait list).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (04-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was hoping that's the case. I'll call the school when they're back from school holidays to make sure but that's reassuring, thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    I know where we live, yes. If she starts at School A while you live in the catchment area for that school she can continue to go there even if you later move out of the catchment area.
    This.

We had people all time getting 6 month rentals in the catchment area to get their kids into the school and then moved to somewhere more affordable outside the catchment area afterwards.

Was the sort of school that real estates would advertises houses as "in xyz state school catchment zone" as a major selling point though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    This.

We had people all time getting 6 month rentals in the catchment area to get their kids into the school and then moved to somewhere more affordable outside the catchment area afterwards.

Was the sort of school that real estates would advertises houses as "in xyz state school catchment zone" as a major selling point though.
    Yeah one of the schools in the area we're moving to is one of the best in the state and houses cost more within the catchment. I'm not actually overly keen on my kids going to that particular school, I think if parents are going to crazy lengths to get their kids in the school, imagine the pressure on those kids to perform!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Yeah one of the schools in the area we're moving to is one of the best in the state and houses cost more within the catchment. I'm not actually overly keen on my kids going to that particular school, I think if parents are going to crazy lengths to get their kids in the school, imagine the pressure on those kids to perform!
    Just wanted to add, that many of the schools around where I live are like that, but once they're in, that's it, it's just life as normal. There's no pressure on them whatsoever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I hijack just a little and ask if you're out of the catchment zone but it's your closest school can you go there? We're zoned for one school that is miles away but the local school is just down the road but said were not zoned for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Can I hijack just a little and ask if you're out of the catchment zone but it's your closest school can you go there? We're zoned for one school that is miles away but the local school is just down the road but said were not zoned for it.
    You can put in application for an out of area enrolment, but they are not obliged to take you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    It was just overall a better and nicer school than the other local ones.

There was no pressure to "perform".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    You can put in application for an out of area enrolment, but they are not obliged to take you.
    Thanks apparently no one has to take us except the school 20mins drive away with no public transport even though two closer.