+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bird lovers....

I have purchased a Quaker from a breeder and we pick the little guy up next week.
    Does anyone have any pics. ...tips ...or must haves ....or just things that they spoilt their babies with and a willing to share.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Noone has birds ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi @RuffledPansy!

I am a huge bird lover but I don't have a quaker, I have other parrots though. What I've found is that they are much more intelligent than you would give them credit for and need play time every day and interaction with you, as well as having toys, fresh branches to chew, seeds, pellets, fresh fruit and veg in their aviary every day.

My bird vet told me to handle the bird a lot as a baby so that they are very used to being rolled on their back, having their wings spread out and inspected etc as it makes it much easier if they need their claws filed and wings clipped. I did quite a bit of training with mine so now they "step up" on command and "step down" and are very well mannered. They don't bite either - one of mine started and my vet said "you wouldn't let a child get away with that, so don't let your bird!" The way they handle that is to kind of "rough them up" a bit - (definitely not hurting them!!!) you hold them so they can't bite you (you might need to learn how to do that safely) and kind of rub them a bit and tell them they're naughty and not to do that - it's about you being the dominant one, not them.

I also got told to not have any perches higher than me as if they are higher the birds think they are the boss. Same with sitting on shoulders - always keep them lower. This has worked for us and our birds are quite big with huge beaks and they don't bite at all.

We found ours love their routine, so they get up at the same time, have a play, then breakfast, then go into their aviary, then come in at the same time at night, have some treats, then they hang out with us until they fall asleep and we put them to bed. I'm not sure about quakers, but we ended up getting a male and female as they mate for life, and if they bond with a human and you go out shopping, they feel abandoned. So we made sure ours had a mate.

That's a start! Hope you enjoy your bird - we adore ours, they are like our kids.
    Last edited by Summer; 05-01-2016 at 15:04.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Summer For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (05-01-2016)