+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeling guilty - i took his dummy away

Yesterday I decided to cut the tip off DSs dummy. Hes 21 months and so attached to it. We cut back to nnaps and nights only a few months back. Because the hole in his dummy he now cant suck even tho we give it to him when he asks. He looked at it n said "broken" then he tossed it thru the room. He made it thru naps and a reasonable night without it tho but it takes him a while to wind down now.
    But yeah i feel guilty for taking away his one comfort cuz he doesn't have a blankie or teddy. I offered them but he always rejected loveys.
    when every once in a while he asks for it and he sees my 12 week old DD suck away on hers and i feel so bad for him.
    Last edited by someonesomewhere; 04-01-2016 at 12:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I know that feeling. On the bright side though it sounds like he is adjusting well without it so far. Just keep telling him he is such a big boy and getting so grown up without it. Keep praising him etc

Dd2 was 2 and a half when hers went. She was massively addicted to hers and surprisingly adjusted very well without it. A year after it went I found an old one and showed her. She laughed at me when I made a joke if she wanted it back. "No silly! I'm a big girl now".

Hang in there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You are so brave! DD is 18 months & keeps biting her dummy, popping it and crying. We have to get rid of it but I love my sleep too much!
    Seriously though it's getting g beyond a joke she only gets it for sleeps but will try to steal dummies off other kids! Way too obsessed...
    I'm gonna feel real bad taking it away too

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD was 3 and would carry around 3 at a time, one in each hand and one in her mouth! It was getting beyond the joke. My first born never took to a dummy but DD loved it from day dot.
    At first I cut the tips off but she was old enough to ask me to buy more at the shops and threw huge tantrums in the supermarket when she saw them on the shelf. A friend suggested putting the dummies in a bag and hanging them on a tree at night for the dummy fairy to come and take them away for babies who need them. She LOVED that concept and after that, rarely asked for it. On occasion she would say "I miss my dummy" but I'd remind her that she was a big girl and had helped the babies who didn't have dummies etc. It's tough, but they do adjust. I was so worried about her not sleeping without the aid of one, but she did just fine. As DSS said, hang in there. It gets better.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (05-01-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD is 3 & was very attached to her dummies & as a PP said would have more than one around her at any one time. Two days ago I decided they had to go & helped them break, except for one. I left them for DD to discover & to my surprise she threw them in the bin herself including the good one despite me showing her it was okay. I was very worried about how she would sleep & 2.5 days later & she is doing brilliantly for day & night sleeps. She has only asked for them a total of 5 times since they went but I just remind her that they were all yucky & that she is a big girl now! When she asked if I could buy her new ones I told her that big girls don't need them so we don't need more. I feel guilty too but also know that this is what is best for her as I didn't want her to be 4 or older & still using them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

We're currently deciding when to get rid of 23 month old DS' dummy. He only has it in the cot for sleeping, I've always had a rule that it comes out of his mouth when he comes out of the cot, so he's not super addicted but it winds him down to sleep so quickly I can't bring myself to take the plunge! I'm torn whether to wait until he's old enough to understand the dummy fairy or do it now before a new baby comes in May/June and potentially has one, making it harder to get him to get rid of his since the baby has one.

He still uses the softer one and doesn't like the harder ones, I've thought about just switching to the firmer one to see if he stopped on his own. I'm totally unsure what to do and feel guilty about thinking about it as well😔. He has a couple comforters in his cot that he semi-snuggles but nothing he's really attached to.

I think it sounds like your little guy isn't that bothered though. ☺️
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 04-01-2016 at 17:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    You are so brave! DD is 18 months & keeps biting her dummy, popping it and crying. We have to get rid of it but I love my sleep too much!
    Seriously though it's getting g beyond a joke she only gets it for sleeps but will try to steal dummies off other kids! Way too obsessed...
    I'm gonna feel real bad taking it away too
    We use the avent soothie dummy which isn't available in the UK and they don't have similar styles here, so luckily he shows no interest at other kids' dummies because he has no idea what they are---phew!
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 04-01-2016 at 17:47.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (04-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He seemed fine last night. The broken dummy was still clipped on his sleeping bag. This morning when we woke up he tossed it behind the bedhead and said "all gone dummy"
    Lol
    I was so worried over nothing. Im so glad cutting the dummy when he didnt see it and making him decide to toss it himself was painfree. not making DH and I look like meanies by not offering it and not taking it away cold Turkey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh that's brilliant! Well done little man

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just revisiting to say we did it! DD has been dummy free for over a week now. She must have bit the dummy at some stage, popping it, so when I put her to bed she held it out & said mummy? I said "aww broken" repeated this about 10 times, then I said ok say bye bye dummy I'll take it away, put it in the bin. Took her about 30 min chatting to herself but she slept all night!
    Ran around collecting up any stray dummies the next day lol!
    She definitely looked for it the next couple of bedtimes but nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be! So relieved!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (28-01-2016)