+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default kids at a funeral? WDYT?

My grandmother is expected to pass away in the next week and I'll be going to her funeral (a 6hr drive away so will probably be away for 2 nights). Initially I thought DH and the kids would come with me but now I'm thinking maybe they are too young to deal with the funeral. They are 3.5 and 4.5yrs with no concept of death. The funeral is likely to be attended by only family members (many of whom have never met my kids and would love to), probably a service at the crematorium and then back to my uncles place for a bite to eat and chat. WDYT? Would you take them or not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son was just under 3 when my Dad passed away and he went to the funeral. We just kept him in his stroller and gave him quiet activities to do and we didn't hear a peep out of him the whole time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would bring them if they were close to your grandmother and there was someone coming who could take them out if necessary (your dh?).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would for a grandparent or other close relative. I would be giving a simple explanation to kids your age though.

I remember when DS1 was about 2yo we all went to his great grandmothers funeral. Due to a family rift, it was the first time myself or DS had met any of them. It mostly all went really well. I took DS some biscuits to sit and eat during the service. I do remember that before the service he was running around outside up and down the ramps and it made me nervous about him being too intrusive, but everyone was just so glad to meet him that they didn't mind. We all went back to a relative's house afterwards, all was going swimmingly until the evening when all the males drank too much and decided it would be a good idea to rehash the family rift. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would take them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I would take them

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also take them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would take them

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took both my kids to my grandmas funeral just over a year ago. One had just turned 5 and the other was 2.5. Younger one didn't understand what as going on and just played with some quiet toys at the back of the service. 5 yr old understood what was going on and was so gorgeous throughout the service, helping to keep his little brother quiet, very gentle and trying to comfort my mum, brother and me which is totally unlike him, he is usually very full on and a million miles an hour. I loved that they were part of it and ds1 could say goodbye.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also take them.

My children came to my Nan's funeral when they were young too.