+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,298
    Thanks
    8,254
    Thanked
    3,945
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's funny my hospital wouldn't let me go home after my second, or the lady in the opposite bed, for 48 hours, even though we were begging to- the other lady was even in tears she was that desperate. The issue was we were both gbs positive and our births were too quick to administer IV antibiotics so the doctors refused to discharge us as they wanted to observe our babies. I told them I would regularly check bubs temp at home (as that's all they were doing) but they continued to refuse to let me go.

    The nurses were so busy, the beds were full, that you'd thought that they'd be keen to push us out- but they were too even busy to organise doctor visits and discharge papers.

    The nurses I talked to said most women wanted to go home at my hospital as they were so full and busy and women thought they'd get better care at home with a midwife visit - it wasn't that my hospital was pushing them out- quite the opposite, nobody wanted to stay lol

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    205
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wobblermummy View Post
    Up where i am women are discharged against their wishes early regardless. With my daughter from vb on thursday night her jaundice wasnt picked up till saturday night and was in scn till tuesday day of discharge from private hospital. Would have been sent home earlier from public hospital before jaundice was picked up and as it was it was a bad 6.weeks at home as it took a long time to go i was glad for extra time with feeding assistance to and help as got none from hubby after discharge, this time he'll have no excuses.
    Jaundice doesn't usually develop until a few days old anyway...... And if picked up at home, you and bub get readmitted. It doesn't go untreated.

    For everyone else - they are general guidelines for when things are uncomplicated and there's no concerns.

    I can't discharge anyone until the obstetric team are happy and have discharged someone. So the notion that you're going to "be forced out" 24 hours after pre-eclampsia, a large PPH, a third or fourth degree tear or any of the other myriad of obstetric complications out there is ridiculous. I can't "force" you home - because you haven't been cleared for discharge yet! If it takes 7 days for the doctors to be happy with your blood pressure, then you stay 7 days.

    If baby is well enough to not need the special care nursery but needs to stay for 24-48 hours of obs for GBS, mec liquor, Bsl's, needs a certain doctor to check them
    out etc - I still can't "force you out" until the paediatric team are happy.

    Our lactation consultant has the final say over whether or not women with breastfeeding issues should stay an extra night - if they want them to stay, they stay.

    Someone coming around at 7:30am and asking if you'd think you'd like to go home today isn't forcing you out. There's lots of different things that need to be arranged for discharge (obstetric check, paediatric check, hearing screen, hep b vaccination, weight, neonatal screen etc), so I need to let the various people know that you need to be seen today, as well as potentially arranging more staff for the ward or the home visiting team. Someone offering you a 6 hour discharge for an uncomplicated birth isn't forcing you out - they're simply making the offer in case you want to. Don't want to? Just say "no thanks had a bit of trouble with the first so want things sorted before I go home".

    Even then you can still change your mind and stay an extra night for breastfeeding support and everything will be sorted for discharge the next day.

    Though this thread reads like every woman in Australia is getting forced out of hospital at 4 hours after birth irregardless of what's happened - I find the vast majority of the time I'm trying to convince someone that they need to stay another night for a variety of reasons (blood pressure, baby obs, breastfeeding etc) because they really really really want to go home, even though I think that's the worst idea I've heard all day.

    Only very occasionally do I have someone who has been cleared by everyone but doesn't want to go home, and we can usually come to a solution about that after a good talk.
    Last edited by alliecat89; 07-01-2016 at 08:04.

  3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

    3bubbys  (07-01-2016),babyno1onboard  (07-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (07-01-2016),JustJaq  (07-01-2016),Leettieb  (08-01-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (07-01-2016),michellek  (07-01-2016),SJ565  (07-01-2016)

  4. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    409
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked
    133
    Reviews
    0
    I went home after 2 nights after both my csections but it was my choice and i pushed for it. Knew I'd be more comfortable at home, hospital was so noisy and for ds1 i had rude people in my shared room. For ds2 i had my own room so could have happily stayed but wanted to get home, plus ds1 was missing me big time.
    I didn't think they could force you to leave that early?
    With ds1 they wanted me to stay another night or 2 but i pushed to go home. They just sent midwives out more than the usual visits to check on me as we were having feeding issues in hospital

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    205
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    It's funny my hospital wouldn't let me go home after my second, or the lady in the opposite bed, for 48 hours, even though we were begging to- the other lady was even in tears she was that desperate. The issue was we were both gbs positive and our births were too quick to administer IV antibiotics so the doctors refused to discharge us as they wanted to observe our babies. I told them I would regularly check bubs temp at home (as that's all they were doing) but they continued to refuse to let me go.
    It's not a prison.

    Unless you're under Guardianship or involuntary orders from the state that says you can't make your own decision or your baby is under a child safety intervention order, they can't "refuse to let you go".

    They can really really strongly recommend that stay and get a few different people to explain the risks of going home and try to convince you to stay - but you can sign a "discharge at own risk" form and leave regardless.

    They can't chain you to a bed and lock the doors.

  6. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,378
    Thanks
    775
    Thanked
    1,775
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    Jaundice doesn't usually develop until a few days old anyway...... And if picked up at home, you and bub get readmitted. It doesn't go untreated.

    For everyone else - they are general guidelines for when things are uncomplicated and there's no concerns.

    I can't discharge anyone until the obstetric team are happy and have discharged someone. So the notion that you're going to "be forced out" 24 hours after pre-eclampsia, a large PPH, a third or fourth degree tear or any of the other myriad of obstetric complications out there is ridiculous. I can't "force" you home - because you haven't been cleared for discharge yet! If it takes 7 days for the doctors to be happy with your blood pressure, then you stay 7 days.

    If baby is well enough to not need the special care nursery but needs to stay for 24-48 hours of obs for GBS, mec liquor, Bsl's, needs a certain doctor to check them
    out etc - I still can't "force you out" until the paediatric team are happy.

    Our lactation consultant has the final say over whether or not women with breastfeeding issues should stay an extra night - if they want them to stay, they stay.

    Someone coming around at 7:30am and asking if you'd think you'd like to go home today isn't forcing you out. There's lots of different things that need to be arranged for discharge (obstetric check, paediatric check, hearing screen, hep b vaccination, weight, neonatal screen etc), so I need to let the various people know that you need to be seen today, as well as potentially arranging more staff for the ward or the home visiting team. Someone offering you a 6 hour discharge for an uncomplicated birth isn't forcing you out - they're simply making the offer in case you want to. Don't want to? Just say "no thanks had a bit of trouble with the first so want things sorted before I go home".

    Even then you can still change your mind and stay an extra night for breastfeeding support and everything will be sorted for discharge the next day.

    Though this thread reads like every woman in Australia is getting forced out of hospital at 4 hours after birth irregardless of what's happened - I find the vast majority of the time I'm trying to convince someone that they need to stay another night for a variety of reasons (blood pressure, baby obs, breastfeeding etc) because they really really really want to go home, even though I think that's the worst idea I've heard all day.

    Only very occasionally do I have someone who has been cleared by everyone but doesn't want to go home, and we can usually come to a solution about that after a good talk.
    Thats great that your hospital is so diligent in checking womens and bubs wellbeing before they are asked to leave. Not every hospital is like that, unfortunately. I am suprised that GBS is a reason to stay - I had GBS & no antibiotics due to a quick labour, & was offered a 4 hour discharge (which I declined). Just goes to show that every hospital is different in its policies. Same as with known feeding issues (I made it very clear that my 2.5kg baby was NOT feeding at all, thus the fact that she had lost 12% birthweight, was dehydrated, I got mastitis & she took over a month to return to birthweight - all due to a very shaky start that could have been prevented with an extra night in hospital).

    I think its great thst some hospitals take wonderful care of their patients. But some hospitals do not, & I dont think anyone can deny that sometimes, women ARE forced out before 24 hours, wih 3rd deg tears, infections, GBS, & babies who dont feed. It happened to me. It does happen. Please dont deny that my hospital experience did happen. Just because you work in a good hsopital foesnt mean that every hospital is good.

    I find this a very emotional topic, because I had an awful time with the hospital I wa sin. For my other 2 births, I was in a great hospital with great care, so I know that things can vary from place to place. But please dont deny that it does happen. Its very upsetting for those of us who have experienced it.

  7. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    I had an emergency c-section and was pushed to go home after 2 nights. It's normal

  8. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    205
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Thats great that your hospital is so diligent in checking womens and bubs wellbeing before they are asked to leave. Not every hospital is like that, unfortunately. I am suprised that GBS is a reason to stay - I had GBS & no antibiotics due to a quick labour, & was offered a 4 hour discharge (which I declined). Just goes to show that every hospital is different in its policies. Same as with known feeding issues (I made it very clear that my 2.5kg baby was NOT feeding at all, thus the fact that she had lost 12% birthweight, was dehydrated, I got mastitis & she took over a month to return to birthweight - all due to a very shaky start that could have been prevented with an extra night in hospital).

    I think its great thst some hospitals take wonderful care of their patients. But some hospitals do not, & I dont think anyone can deny that sometimes, women ARE forced out before 24 hours, wih 3rd deg tears, infections, GBS, & babies who dont feed. It happened to me. It does happen. Please dont deny that my hospital experience did happen. Just because you work in a good hsopital foesnt mean that every hospital is good.

    I find this a very emotional topic, because I had an awful time with the hospital I wa sin. For my other 2 births, I was in a great hospital with great care, so I know that things can vary from place to place. But please dont deny that it does happen. Its very upsetting for those of us who have experienced it.
    These are standard statewide policies that we use - not individual hospital ones. I've worked in 3 different hospitals and all have been the same. Midwives can't discharge women until they've been obstetrically discharged.

    For the GBS example - our statewide policy is a full blood count and 48 hours of observation if inadequate antibiotics and 24 hours of observation of adequate antibiotics.

    I'm not denying that it doesn't happen - I just don't think that it's as common as people are making it out to be.

    If I were you I would be writing formal complaints to the hospital (obstetric, paediatric and midwifery departments) about your experience. I would also be making myself very loud and clear if next time they want to send you home early.
    Last edited by alliecat89; 07-01-2016 at 10:23.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

    cheeeeesecake  (07-01-2016)

  10. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,378
    Thanks
    775
    Thanked
    1,775
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    These are standard statewide policies that we use - not individual hospital ones. I've worked in 3 different hospitals and all have been the same. Midwives can't discharge women until they've been obstetrically discharged.

    For the GBS example - our statewide policy is a full blood count and 48 hours of observation if inadequate antibiotics and 24 hours of observation of adequate antibiotics.

    I'm not denying that it doesn't happen - I just don't think that it's as common as people are making it out to be.

    If I were you I would be writing formal complaints to the hospital (obstetric, paediatric and midwifery departments) about your experience. I would also be making myself very loud and clear if next time they want to send you home early.
    I have considered complaining, because I dont think the way I or my baby were treated was OK. I wonder if it is policy Aust wide to stay in 48 hrs with GBS &no ABs - if so, its even more a failure of dity of care that I was offered 4 hour discharge & forced out at 18 hours.
    I absolutely did say loud & clearly that i didnt feel I should be leaving, & that my baby wasnt feeding & I had a history of feeding issues. I even escalated it to the ward coordinator. All midwifes, though - I didnt see a dr the whole postnatal stay, so wouldnt know about the paediatricians input, there was none. Honestly, they really didnt give a sh!t l.

  11. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    205
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I have considered complaining, because I dont think the way I or my baby were treated was OK. I wonder if it is policy Aust wide to stay in 48 hrs with GBS &no ABs - if so, its even more a failure of dity of care that I was offered 4 hour discharge & forced out at 18 hours.
    I absolutely did say loud & clearly that i didnt feel I should be leaving, & that my baby wasnt feeding & I had a history of feeding issues. I even escalated it to the ward coordinator. All midwifes, though - I didnt see a dr the whole postnatal stay, so wouldnt know about the paediatricians input, there was none. Honestly, they really didnt give a sh!t l.
    I would have made a complaint - you weren't treated okay and there's a very high risk that your baby could have gotten sick from the GBS at home and it not have been picked up in time.

    Your baby should have been checked by a paediatric doctor before discharge.

    Sometimes if you've been completely well and had no medical issues or obstetric complications during the pregnancy, birth and postnatal period then the midwives can do the discharge and you don't need to see the obstetric doctors, but there's a very strict criteria for that.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

    cheeeeesecake  (07-01-2016)

  13. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,378
    Thanks
    775
    Thanked
    1,775
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    I would have made a complaint - you weren't treated okay and there's a very high risk that your baby could have gotten sick from the GBS at home and it not have been picked up in time.

    Your baby should have been checked by a paediatric doctor before discharge.

    Sometimes if you've been completely well and had no medical issues or obstetric complications during the pregnancy, birth and postnatal period then the midwives can do the discharge and you don't need to see the obstetric doctors, but there's a very strict criteria for that.
    That definitely wouldnt include us - my birth was an induction at 38wks for IUGR, so it wasnt without its complications, & I had a small/ skinny IUGR baby who wouldnt feed, so it was a difficult time.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Back gate forced open
    By CMF in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-11-2015, 10:59
  2. After discharge from hospital
    By SAgirl in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-05-2015, 20:20
  3. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 08-02-2015, 19:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
GymbaROO
GymbaROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available Australia-wide. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!