+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    What would you girls do with NHS hospitals and being kicked out 24 hours after your first baby and as soon as you can go to the bathroom with your second.😧

Interesting reading how different it can be among Australian hospitals but my initial impression, not knowing exactly what the midwife said, would be that it is 48 hours if all is ok because it is your second baby and you tend to not stay at the hospital as long as your first with any birth if all is ok.
    I feared getting utd when i was working over there especially after the stories id hear from the nurses i worked with having babies at our hospital care was attrocious。 not sure how c section ladies were treated but i used to hear regularly of women giving birth in hospital entrance. Labouring in the delivery suite was not on as there werent enough beds in hospital i worked at and it was the only hospital in an hrs radius so most women weren't allowed up to delivery suite basically till they were giving birth, scared immensly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybloom View Post
    I agree. I can't afford $5000+ to give birth but i would happily pay up to $2000 for all their hard work and care, I dont need everything to be free. But there are only 2 options available which seem to be all free or all $$$$$.

I did email the hospitals patient representative and got an email back from the hospital saying standard practice is 72hrs for C- section and 48 for vaginal birth. I will be taking a copy of that email with me when I go in for my C-section.
    You'll most likely get home visiting midwives as well.

Just see how you go - you may find that you're keen to get out of there after 2 nights, but have the 3rd night available if you need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    What would you girls do with NHS hospitals and being kicked out 24 hours after your first baby and as soon as you can go to the bathroom with your second.😧

Interesting reading how different it can be among Australian hospitals but my initial impression, not knowing exactly what the midwife said, would be that it is 48 hours if all is ok because it is your second baby and you tend to not stay at the hospital as long as your first with any birth if all is ok.
    And we freaking wonder why there are such low breastfeeding rates, & high rates of PND?! When I was kicked out after 18ish hrs with my 2nd, you may say no worries, I've done it before. But my baby wasnt feeding, & by the time a home midwife cane to visit the following day, my baby had lost 12% of her birthweight & was weak &dehydrated, & I had severe mastitis & was beside myself with sickness. It took us both a month to recover, she was over a month old when she finally returned to her birthweight. It was a horrible start that didnt need to happen if we were only kept in hospital an extra night.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Friend of mine had a baby few weeks ago.. Went home 5 hours after birth. Baby #2.. I think that's way to quick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    Friend of mine had a baby few weeks ago.. Went home 5 hours after birth. Baby #2.. I think that's way to quick
    Was it what she wanted though?

I've had people discharging themselves at 2-3 hours after birth recently - even though policy states minimum 6 hours before discharge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post

I've had people discharging themselves at 2-3 hours after birth recently - even though policy states minimum 6 hours before discharge.
    A friend of mine was recently forced to go home 4 hours after thr birth. It was definitely not what she wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post

Yeah she was happy to go home. Was a 3 hour birth . Very straight forward. Community nurses came every 2 days for 2 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    Yeah she was happy to go home. Was a 3 hour birth . Very straight forward. Community nurses came every 2 days for 2 weeks.
    Well then if she's happy/wanting to go home, I don't see what the issue is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    A friend of mine was recently forced to go home 4 hours after thr birth. It was definitely not what she wanted.
    One of the public hospitals does that where i am as there aren't enough beds, women get no choice you have to go when told between 4-6 hrs if it is a vb if is early hrs of morning you can stay till breakfast but then must go. If theres a complication you are basically allowed to stay 24 hrs. Work colleague had to fight to get her young daughter to stay overnight after bub was born at midnight and there was a massive post partum haemmorhage 6 hrs later ambulances wouldn't have made it to them and hospital in time to have saved her. Sure c section is 48 hrs maximum no longer.
    Last edited by wobblermummy; 06-01-2016 at 18:39.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wobblermummy For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (06-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default C-section forced discharge after 48 hrs???

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    And we freaking wonder why there are such low breastfeeding rates, & high rates of PND?! When I was kicked out after 18ish hrs with my 2nd, you may say no worries, I've done it before. But my baby wasnt feeding, & by the time a home midwife cane to visit the following day, my baby had lost 12% of her birthweight & was weak &dehydrated, & I had severe mastitis & was beside myself with sickness. It took us both a month to recover, she was over a month old when she finally returned to her birthweight. It was a horrible start that didnt need to happen if we were only kept in hospital an extra night.
    I wasn't saying 'no worries' I was just stating a fact, from my experience as a doula, that it's usually routine with many hospitals that you do not stay as long with subsequent births, if all is well, as you do after your first birth.

Your's is obviously an extreme situation but staying in hospital isn't necessarily the answer to lower PND or successful breastfeeding, it's about quality postpartum care whether that is at home or in the hospital.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

alliecat89  (06-01-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast