+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default C-section forced discharge after 48 hrs???

I had both of my csections in the same public hospital, they did ask if I wanted to go home after 48 hours but both times I asked to stay an additional night, the first time because I was a new mum and scared to leave and the second time my son was having feeding issues and felt one more night with easily accessible feeding help would be good, they were fine with me staying, but they prefer the two nights
    Last edited by PipersMummy; 04-01-2016 at 11:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I had my first c/s in a large regional hospital and was forced to stay 5 days. Then my 2nd and 3rd were in a little country hospital where my Ob allowed me to decide. I was told with my last child I could stay however long I wanted. I received amazing care there, both surgically and in relation to bed side manner and after care.

I think the big city hospitals simply don't have the beds. It isn't about mismanagement of funds, there simply isn't the funds to begin with to cope with the demand. I worked in a big regional hospital and they had whole wards that weren't being used bc they didn't have the funding.
    See to me, having empty wards is poor management of funds when there are women forced to go home 4 hours after birth. When jane at one hospital is allowed to stay in 5 days after the birth, and susan at another hospital down the road is forced to leave between 4-24hours after the birth because of lack of funding, something has gone wrong somewhere.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

JustUsFive  (04-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    See to me, having empty wards is poor management of funds when there are women forced to go home 4 hours after birth. When jane at one hospital is allowed to stay in 5 days after the birth, and susan at another hospital down the road is forced to leave between 4-24hours after the birth because of lack of funding, something has gone wrong somewhere.
    It depends on the type of hospital though. If it's a state run hospital then they are basically at the mercy of the health department. At a private hospital it's basically funded by the consumer/health funds so there's little expenditure by the hospital funding as such. Public funded/not for profit hospitals such as the catholic hospitals/uniting health care etc receive some public funding for their public patients, but also find some of it themselves. It's very complicated and often doesn't make sense.

For instance, Beaudesert hospital (between Brisbane and Gold Coast) is a small regional hospital. QLD health paid for renovations of their theatres and a maternity wing. Then funding was cut and this BRAND NEW maternity unit sat empty for something stupid like 10 years. It's only recently opened. I did a nursing prac down there 8-10 odd years ago or something and they showed me through the maternity wing. They had beds, cots etc, they were ready to open. A lot of the time it's all to do with funding from the health departments as opposed to mismanagement of funds.

Over the last 5-10 years there has been a backlog of public patients waiting for non-emergent "elective" procedures. As the waiting list was exorbitantly long, QLD health started up this program where public patients had their elective procedures performed in private hospitals to help clear the back log. All this meant is that funds were redirected from one area (say, maternity) to another. It's not mismanagement, it's just politics!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (04-01-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (04-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    It depends on the type of hospital though. If it's a state run hospital then they are basically at the mercy of the health department. At a private hospital it's basically funded by the consumer/health funds so there's little expenditure by the hospital funding as such. Public funded/not for profit hospitals such as the catholic hospitals/uniting health care etc receive some public funding for their public patients, but also find some of it themselves. It's very complicated and often doesn't make sense.

For instance, Beaudesert hospital (between Brisbane and Gold Coast) is a small regional hospital. QLD health paid for renovations of their theatres and a maternity wing. Then funding was cut and this BRAND NEW maternity unit sat empty for something stupid like 10 years. It's only recently opened. I did a nursing prac down there 8-10 odd years ago or something and they showed me through the maternity wing. They had beds, cots etc, they were ready to open. A lot of the time it's all to do with funding from the health departments as opposed to mismanagement of funds.

Over the last 5-10 years there has been a backlog of public patients waiting for non-emergent "elective" procedures. As the waiting list was exorbitantly long, QLD health started up this program where public patients had their elective procedures performed in private hospitals to help clear the back log. All this meant is that funds were redirected from one area (say, maternity) to another. It's not mismanagement, it's just politics!
    Thanks for the information, its just crazy that the health system is so uneven. I believe every woman in Australia should have access to an equal level of public health care, & then pay extra for private if they wish. I wish the gorvernment could sort out equal funding for each patient so that we could have proper health care. That being said - I realise we are so lucky in Australia with the funding that we do get.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

babybloom  (06-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    48 hours isn't as bad as it sounds......

Have elective Caesar Monday morning. Get up for a shower that night but keep catheter and IV pain relief connected.

Have catheter and everything taken out Tuesday morning and start moving around.

Go home Wednesday around lunch time or after lunch once all the discharge stuff is done.

If you're struggling with pain management or breastfeeding or had complications then there should be no issue with staying another night.

Majority of women I find are wanting to go home after that second night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree. I can't afford $5000+ to give birth but i would happily pay up to $2000 for all their hard work and care, I dont need everything to be free. But there are only 2 options available which seem to be all free or all $$$$$.

I did email the hospitals patient representative and got an email back from the hospital saying standard practice is 72hrs for C- section and 48 for vaginal birth. I will be taking a copy of that email with me when I go in for my C-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My third was my first c-section (emergency) and I was desperate to get home. I left within 48 hours. But it was considered early discharge so a midwife came to my home every day after I left hospital.

I left on early discharge every time and thought having a midwife come to my house was great.

This is a fairly big public hospital in Sydney.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

What would you girls do with NHS hospitals and being kicked out 24 hours after your first baby and as soon as you can go to the bathroom with your second.😧

Interesting reading how different it can be among Australian hospitals but my initial impression, not knowing exactly what the midwife said, would be that it is 48 hours if all is ok because it is your second baby and you tend to not stay at the hospital as long as your first with any birth if all is ok.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 06-01-2016 at 17:38.

Thanks
    Reviews

Last edited by Louise41; 06-01-2016 at 17:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babybloom View Post
    I agree. I can't afford $5000+ to give birth but i would happily pay up to $2000 for all their hard work and care, I dont need everything to be free. But there are only 2 options available which seem to be all free or all $$$$$.

I did email the hospitals patient representative and got an email back from the hospital saying standard practice is 72hrs for C- section and 48 for vaginal birth. I will be taking a copy of that email with me when I go in for my C-section.
    In all honesty, Australia has a pretty awesome system. You have a great public system and then a private system that is fairly affordable in terms of other countries. We're currently in the UK and it's either completely free with an overburdened system or you go private which is absolutely through the roof costs twice as much + what you pay in OZ. UK citizens can't even get private maternity cover through insurance. You can only get private maternity cover through international insurance cover and you can't get that as a UK citizen, thank god we are able to have it. If I was British and wanted to go privately I would be out of pocket for all costs. When you go privately in Australia Medicare still helps with certain things like your scans and blood tests, in the UK if you choose to go privately then you are out of pocket for all costs. And then I'm American so obviously don't get me started on the costs of their system.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I've never been frustrated with health care in Australia but when you have to go elsewhere you realize Australia really has it worked out much better in terms of public and private care.