+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    She can get away with fluro because her school shirt is dark green. Although, she does have white ones as well. I don't want to scar her for life! I hated wearing a bra when I first needed one so I want this to be painless as possible.

The other thing is she is tiny (around wise), the crop tops she is wearing are 8-10 girls size. Oh well next time they are at their dads I'll go shopping, she would hate for her sister to be there.
    Do you have a measuring tape? I'm so sure you could measure her up (in her bedroom) and then go and buy a couple of styles and see what she thinks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Do you have a measuring tape? I'm so sure you could measure her up (in her bedroom) and then go and buy a couple of styles and see what she thinks.
    I do...thank you! Will attempt to do that this week

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have always used this

http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php

To be honest I find that sometimes in store they will try to convince you you're a size you're not if they don't stock much or anything in your actual size.
    Maybe YouTube some clips on bra fittings as well so she can see how a bra should look when it's well fitted. Then you can go with her to choose some and she can try them on by herself.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (02-01-2016),misskittyfantastico  (02-01-2016),PomPoms  (02-01-2016),VicPark  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I have always used this

To be honest I find that sometimes in store they will try to convince you you're a size you're not if they don't stock much or anything in your actual size.
    Maybe YouTube some clips on bra fittings as well so she can see how a bra should look when it's well fitted. Then you can go with her to choose some and she can try them on by herself.
    I've found most times I've been measured that I do not trust they are right, they usually will say I am a C cup and trust me I am not. The couple of times I've been talked into buying the C I always regret it because I don't fill it out at all, there are always gaps. I am definitely a B.

My mom just used a tape measure to figure out how big I was around and then we worked out cup size from there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with PP, I am a larger cup size &smaller back, & whenever I am fitted & the person realises they dont stock any bras in my size, they always try to force me to buy something a cup size smaller & back size larger. So annoying! It never fits right. I just measure myself now, there are heaps of online guides, & its not really rocket science,I know my correct fit by now. Perhaps teaching her correct fit, by looking online, would help so she can do it herself?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I have always used this

This is great I'll have to save this for DD, (going to try it myselft too!)

DDis wearing the same bonds crop tops, also 11yrs, but not quiet ready for a bra.

When the time comes I'll just do what my mum did, buy a few bras and try them at home, ( I remember I refused to even go to the shop let alone try them at the shops.)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (03-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Awkward! Bra question

I don't think an 11-12 year old needs to get fitted, esp if it's freaking her out.

why not just buy a couple of cheap A cup bras and she can try on at home to see what fits? or you could help her/check how they fit after she's put them on.

it's such an awkward time and I don't really think there's any need to go over the top and force the issue by insisting on a proper fitting.

once she's a big bigger, you could suggest it again. but wait til she's more ready and comfortable with her body first.

I've only been fitted once in my life, I was shocked to discover I'm a D cup. so yes I think it definitely pays to get fitted at some stage but wait til she's ready first.
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 03-01-2016 at 07:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, if she doesn't want to be fitted by a stranger, would she be comfortable with you taking her measurements?

Otherwise what if you took her into target or similar place & tried a few different sizes on? Then she can have a look & see which types she would like to wear. Or if she doesn't want to do that what if you bought a few different sizes & she was able to try them on at home? Then you could exchange the ones that didn't fit.

I would have a chat to her & do whatever makes her the most comfortable & go from there. If she doesn't want to get fitted I wouldn't take her until she's wanting to go/comfortable.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies.. I'm 20 and due to upbringing never got fitted for a bra until I was around 16.. Which, in my case (started growing at 10) was petty much when I stopped growing, until I got pregnant.. 😀 ❤️❤️
    Is she too embarrassed to let you see/talk her through how a bra SHOULD fit..? Everywhere lets you try before you buy and until she is older to loose some embarrassment or gain some understanding of how important the right bra is, which hopefully won't take too long, you could talk her through it.. Take a few bras into the fitting rooms and spend some time trying them.. I was really embarrassed when I got fitted, until it actually happened and I realised that they do it all day everyday and see that many pairs of breasts that it's just like filling out paperwork...
    Hope this helps..
    Bits..

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BitsHead For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (03-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine just wore bonds crop tops at that age - exactly the same as the ones you have linked. Plus they also quite like this style:

http://www.bonds.com.au/girls-wideba...yhb1a-c08.html

My girls have never needed an actual bra until they got to highschool, but they take after me in that respect. In terms of when to change from a croptop to an actual bra, mine changed when they the crop tops weren't really comfortable anymore and they needed more support plus they noticed their friends had changed. ie they started whinging to me.

I have never found any decent first bras in KMart or Big W.

Target used to have an okayish first bra but they have changed the design since I first bought them so I don't know how good they are now. The reason I like the Target ones is because they come in very small sizes eg they start at an 8AA, but I think the 8s also come in larger cup sizes as well.

Link to the Target ones:

http://www.target.com.au/p/2-pack-wi...5-9gv/57883571

My older DD then moved onto and is still wearing the Loveable wirefree bras. We got them from Myer:
    http://www.lovable.com.au/lovable-se...glass-llsg246b

In terms of being fitted, my 15 year old DD was very self conscious. Over time, I have talked her into letting me into having a quick look to see if the fit is okay. The bras I have linked above are the only bras that we have found fit her well. As she has grown she has had to go up a band or cup size. It's been pretty obvious (to me) if the size she was wearing was incorrect.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 03-01-2016 at 08:56.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (03-01-2016)