+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Passive smoking

Just curious...

How much passive smoking do you and your kids do?

Since I've been single I have managed to really avoid almost all passive smoking, and I became really sensitive to the smell so would need to move away straight away etc. But lately I've noticed it's snuck back in again where I'm becoming a bit more tolerant of it... at work, the only outdoor place to sit is allowed smoking, so although I often go on my break with not many other people out there, sometimes there are smokers. I sit as far away as possible, but I wonder if I should just go and sit back indoors. I like the outside though!
    Then there's my neighbours (in a unit). When they smoke on their balcony, it comes straight into our unit. DD is asthmatic so she will get up and shut the door when they smoke. It's so annoying to have to open and close the door though.

Other then that, if we are walking on the street behind a smoker, we will overtake them to avoid it.

My kids also unfortunately are exposed to passive smoking at their dad's house, they only go every second weekend but I still worry about the smoke exposure.

So, thoughts? Do you worry about passive smoking? Do you actively avoid it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't have any family or friends who still smoke so the kids really only cop it outside shopping centres and places like that. Luckily I've found most smokers try to be considerate and move out of lines/away from parks etc.

My pet peeve is when it's a beautiful day and you're driving along with the windows down and you end up behind a car with someone smoking. Having to put up the windows and circulate the air on full just to get rid of it... So annoying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    FIL is the only person we see who smokes. DD probably spends on average only a couple of hours a month with him so I'm not too concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids and I don't spend time around anyone who smokes so it's really just in the odd occasion while out at shopping centers, etc. TBH I have no idea how much is "too much" in terms of passive smoking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My kids have little contact with passive smoke. Only a couple of family members that we see sporadically smokes on both sides and they are always conscious not to smoke near the kids.

I know it's not a popular opinion on here but I think some people get really OTT about second hand smoke. I'm not saying you should actively have people chain smoke around your kids, but I think people get a bit crazy over it.

Let's face it, we live in a world of pollution and excess. I could list a million things in every day life that would be far more damaging and unhealthy to people than a whiff of smoke. As an ex smoker I do believe it's rude for smokers to knowingly passively smoke around people. But unless your family lives in a bubble, chances are they are more effected by lots of other factors.
    Last edited by delirium; 02-01-2016 at 19:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Minimal.

No family or friends smoke.

Smoking is banned on all work property - you have to go across the road if you want a smoke.

Only just get the quick whiff when entering/exiting shopping centres.

I avoid smokers at all costs - will get up and move away if someone sits next to me at bus stop etc and lights up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Very little. My dad is in process of giving up again. But before that maybe near him by accident on a year. He was careful not smoke around the kids or me. Some of my kids have asthma.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm not overly fussed by it for the reasons delirium has outlined, but i think it sucks OP that your workplace allows people to smoke in the only common outdoor area. That shouldn't be allowed at all. They should have to go off work premises. Is there someone you can talk to about that? I would be really annoyed if the only space I could go for fresh air was full of smokers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Luckily none, we were on the train last week and the announcement said no smoking on the platform - DS asked what it meant as he didn't know what smoking/cigarettes were!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very very minimal. I detest smoking and will not be near anyone doing it nor will my children.
    My mother passed away from lung cancer at 42 yet never smoked in her life. I blame all of the passive smoking she had to encounter growing up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-01-2016)