+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not a fan, but the kids have always done it.
    And if I was to say, "no don't do that" even with a reason, it would hurt them.

It's brief and not often... they are always the initiators.

Everything is innocent until it isn't. I won't be the one to take innocence from them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (03-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Kissing toddlers on the lips - WDYT?

This thread has made me realize that the few times DS has given me a kiss when I ask, or by surprise, it is always a giant, open mouthed, slobber attack on my mouth and nose, without fail he goes for the mouth even though DH and I don't kiss him there. It's disgusting and heart melting all at once and I would never discourage him from doing it.

I'm thinking if it's genuinely bothering you it is more an issue to bring up with your MIL rather than him and as other posters have suggested just focus on teaching him his body his rules. I'm assuming she's the only person doing it so it's not a topic you're faced with daily?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    This thread has made me realize that the few times DS has given me a kiss when I ask, or by surprise, it is always a giant, open mouthed, slobber attack on my mouth and nose, without fail he goes for the mouth even though DH and I don't kiss him there. It's disgusting and heart melting all at once and I would never discourage him from doing it.

I'm thinking if it's genuinely bothering you it is more an issue to bring up with your MIL rather than him and as other posters have suggested just focus on teaching him his body his rules. I'm assuming she's the only person doing it so it's not a topic you're faced with daily?
    I wonder if it is just copying what mum and dad do? My DS doesn't usually do the open mouth slobber anymore unless he is being silly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (03-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I wonder if it is just copying what mum and dad do? My DS doesn't usually do the open mouth slobber anymore unless he is being silly.
    Maybe! Although I'm unsure how often we kiss in front of him 😉😂.

Joking! Kinda...

He does love when he sees us give each other a hug or a kiss and always squeezes in for a cuddle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gotta admit I love a good slobbery kiss on the lips from my 23mth old. Gives us both a giggle and we both crack up afterwards. I'll miss them when he grows out of it.

I wouldn't want any of the grandparents doing it to the kids though. U should just set some ground rules with the outlaws OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
    I remember reading another thread very similar to this when DS was a baby. I came away from that thinking kissing on the lips was a really bad thing to do and I must never do it. DS had other ideas though and does kiss family on the lips naturally. I have not encouraged it, it's just what he wants to do.

Sometimes he will hold my face in his hands and kiss me repeatedly in a show of childish affection. Rather than enjoy this special moment that soon he will probably no longer do I worry that I shouldn't allow it.

My New Year resolution is to enjoy those precious moments (I'm sure he won't do it forever). I'll also add that there is no history of abuse in my family so I am coming from a place of childish innocence.
    Your right about enjoying the special moments. There is no way my older children will kiss me on the lips or cheek ect now and I did kiss them on the lips when they were younger. One is 15 and will not kiss me at all and we used to play a similar kissing game that had repeated kissing when she was younger. The ten year old might kiss me if I am lucky. However I would never force any of my children to kiss if they didn't want to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lol..I didn't even know there was a "thing" about to lip kiss or not to!! Not something I have ever given a seconds thought about!
    I kiss my kids on the lips everyday as does their dad...I presume my parents do too but I've never taken much notice..it's a brief greeting, hug, kiss, done...I'm pretty sure other relatives cheek kiss?
    My 10 and 12 yo still kiss me on the lips at the school gate...never even occurred to me that others don't do it! FTR - my kids are rarely sick, I've suffered cold sores but my kids never have....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    I have a 3 year old DS. His grandma (my MIL) kisses him on the lips, which he doesn't mind, despite the fact that she's been asked not to.

I hate it. It's not something I ever did with my parents or any other relative. I think it's unnecessary. I think it spreads germs and when it comes time to talk to DS about sexual harassment/ appropriate behaviour, I want his mouth to be an 'exclusion zone', ie, adults don't kiss him on the mouth or put anything in his mouth. I think having his grandma mack him on an exclusion zone will be confusing.

I respect the fact that not everyone feels this way so this is purely what I want with my son. Absolutely no judgement to anyone who kisses their kids on the mouth.

DH doesn't like it but his mother kissed him on the mouth too when he was young so he just doesn't want to start a fight with her.

What do you think I should do?
    Ugh my mil tries to kiss ds1 on the lips and all over his face. I hate it. She's been told not to but does it anyway, she's an in one ear out the other kind of person when it comes to our kids (the only grandchildren) and she ignores me too. Ds1 resists thankfully but she always tries. She's seen ds2 only twice since he was born, he's 3 months old. Last time she kept kissing him on his face. Dh didn't say anything and i didn't know how to tell her to to stop without being a b#@ch.
    The thing is she drinks like a fish, smokes cigarettes and Marijuana, and gets cold sores.
    I ranted at dh after she left and told him next time she visits he better tell her not to do it, because if i have to say it it's not going to go down well.
    Things are already rocky between mil and i. I've been trying to make more effort for dh. But i know if i say something she will not take it well.
    I don't want anyone kissing my children's faces/mouths except dh or i. And we don't kiss on the mouth unless ds1 initiates which is rare. I usually kiss him on top of his head or forehead.
    Ds2 gets kisses on his head or cheeks from us only
    Last edited by meandmyboys82; 04-01-2016 at 08:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmyboys82 View Post
    The thing is she drinks like a fish, smokes cigarettes and Marijuana, and gets cold sores.
    OMG

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

meandmyboys82  (04-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    OMG
    I know right!
    I don't know why I'm so intimidated by this woman. There will be words next time, one way or another!!