+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    to me lip kissing is for adults. My grandfather use to force kiss me on the lips and i would cry.

kissing on lips it for lovers. She is not his lover. I told my husband to tell his mother not to do it as she use to engage is disgusting repetitive kissing games with our 8 month old nephew.

I would go nuts at her if I ever saw her do it to my baby's. Yuck. Wrong! go kiss your husband not a innocent baby.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babybloom For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    My DD (20mo) kisses people on the lips when she wants to. If she doesn't want to kiss people on the lips she presents her head or cheek for a kiss.

I don't see it as inappropriate. I think suggesting that his grandmother is 'macking on' her grandson is disappointing and my heart would break if someone twisted the kisses myself, my partner and my family give our precious daughter into something like that. My mum, dad, MIL and FIL are wonderful, love their grandchild and kiss her when she asks for one. I think it's about teaching your children consent, ownership of their body and appropriate boundaries. I would feel worse if my daughter tried to show her affection for her Nanny and was given a fist bump instead.

Shaking hands transfers more germs than kissing...

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (02-01-2016),BettyW  (02-01-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (03-01-2016),Sally1981  (02-01-2016),Soon2be4  (02-01-2016),Wise Enough  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Derp. I totally didn't even answer the question.

If I weren't comfortable with it I would again reiterate to MIL that we're not kissing DS on the lips because we are starting to teach him about safety and exclusion zones. Say you're happy to share kisses and love, but please kiss him on the cheek or forehead as he may become confused.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (02-01-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's hypocritical to say to your child "your body, your choice" and then say but you can't kiss grandma on the lips even if that is something you're comfortable with. So yes, hypocritical was the word I was after.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Best Things  (02-01-2016),bezzy  (02-01-2016),DT75  (03-01-2016),FearlessLeader  (02-01-2016),LaDiDah  (03-01-2016),misho  (02-01-2016),moosey  (02-01-2016),Sally1981  (02-01-2016),saxonrose  (03-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Kissing toddlers on the lips - WDYT?

Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    @rainbowroad - Why hypocritical? Is that really the word you're after?

I will have to find a way for him to understand that some people do that in their families but he doesn't. I hadn't thought of that!
    @VicPark - I forgot about cold sores! My germ phobia is in overdrive on this.
    Touching on coldsores...something like 98% of people carry the coldsore virus, it's incredibly common, just some people get the sores and some don't. So by three years old most children have been exposed to the virus, especially if he goes to childcare, so her kissing him on the lips probably isn't going to matter in that respect.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 02-01-2016 at 18:30.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly? I was brought up that kissing on the lips is for partners and 'people who are in love'. So of course I'm going to find it a little disturbing. Kissing on the mouth is a sexual thing to me and I have never kissed someone on the mouth when it is not a sexual thing.

I think seeing it either way is normal from a parenting perspective. I guess I just think I should be able to make these decisions for my son and not have people doing things with him that I'm not comfortable with, even if I know it's innocent.

And when I say 'mack' I mean kiss (should have made that clear). I'm fine with kissing on the cheek. I'm surprised some people think it's either the lips or a fist bump. I think there's a lot in between.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I think it's hypocritical to say to your child "your body, your choice" and then say but you can't kiss grandma on the lips even if that is something you're comfortable with. So yes, hypocritical was the word I was after.
    I have no intention of telling him 'your body. Your choice'. My intention is to tell him that while he is a child, no adult is allowed to touch him in certain places, even if he thinks he wants them to. So no, not hypocritical.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (02-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (02-01-2016),turquoisecoast  (03-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly I don't love the idea of kissing on lips but that is just me.

If you and DH do not like it then I would remind her tbh. Maybe I am being over the top but your child so your rules. Does your DS really like it or just do it because his grandma asks him to and he just wants to please her?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Kissing toddlers on the lips - WDYT?

I'm personally not a fan of kissing on the lips but unsure how much I would push it as nobody has done it to DS yet. For me coldsores do play a part, I get them and DS has already had one, my parents get them, etc. so I know DS would actually catch a sore from me or somebody else in my family. BUT... Just to freak you out a bit more...

I used to only ever kiss DS on the top of his head because I was worried about passing on a coldsore. His first one happened on his eye, I'd had a bad one a couple weeks before and no matter how careful I was he'd obviously touched it or something it had touch and then rubbed his eye. For the few months after that he would get a coldsore on his forehead whenever he was run down. There's no safe place! 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    @twinklify - I think he does like it. My DS is very trusting and loving. He is absolutely the type of kid that will walk off hand in hand with a stranger. It's not an issue now because obviously I'm with him all the time but I'm very aware of what he's like.