+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We had a padded one, while annoying to clean it had all the other functions we wanted, like the recline, the tray was removable, so we we're able to use it at the dinning table, with both kids we used it as a chair at the table until they we able to use a normal chair, DS just stopped using it, he is 4, we could also adjust the height so we could use it a coffee table height.

So I think come up with a list of features you want, no point buying an expensive one of you don't use half the stuff, because ours was so versatile we got I think 8yrs out of it with 2 kids, and I've just given it to my cousin so it'll be getting some more use soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I'm one of those who says no to the ikea one. Yes it's easy to clean. But in terms of comfort and especially a footrest...they're not recommended. As adults I've never talked to anyone who likes to sit with their feet dangling. It's just not comfortable for eating and also not good for posture or core strength.
    How would anyone know if a high chair is comfortable? Babies aren't able to tell you.

Not being smart or smarmy. I'm genuinely interested as IKEA high chairs are so popular.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    I'm an adult who is short, feet dangling from chairs is something. I've gotten used to, not caused me any health problems so far ( I'm 44) Stokke are rip off imo.
    I'm also short!
    Never said it would cause health problems.
    Just said it's quite uncomfortable to have feet dangling. And for an infant who is learning to eat it's not the ideal position. Ask any physio who works with children.

Oh...and yeah stokke are expensive. But for price per use. .and using it for years, plus has footrest that can be adjusted and easy to clean. .worth it for us. But maybe not for everyone.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Alicia111  (02-02-2016),binnielici  (29-01-2016),VicPark  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    How would anyone know if a high chair is comfortable? Babies aren't able to tell you.

Not being smart or smarmy. I'm genuinely interested as IKEA high chairs are so popular.
    Do you like sitting on a stool for long periods of time with nothing to rest your feet on? just something to contemplate.

You have to activate your core to sit up with good posture if you can't support your feet. So that's why I said 'uncomfortable '.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Do you like sitting on a stool for long periods of time with nothing to rest your feet on? just something to contemplate.

You have to activate your core to sit up with good posture if you can't support your feet. So that's why I said 'uncomfortable '.
    But I don't like being carried around either but babies like that. And I don't like lying on my tummy but babies like that.
    I guess I've never really thought about the high chair like that. I'd spend a fortune on my kids and I do but my kids were all out of high chairs by 18 months so I didn't see the point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have photos of dd asleep in her highchair and rarely sleeps in any position other then cot or car seat so cant be too uncomfortable. Dinner is only a short period so not sitting longer then 15 months. At 20 months can acknowledge is in pain or uncomfortable and will let it be known

Thanks
    Reviews
    People can have different opinions about what works for them. The OP asks for pros and cons. I shared my experience with my DD. And pros of what we used. And that I was really happy with our purchase. That's all. It's okay to have a different opinion.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    I'm an adult who is short, feet dangling from chairs is something. I've gotten used to, not caused me any health problems so far ( I'm 44) Stokke are rip off imo.
    I don't agree that stokkes are a rip off. They might be more than you're willing to pay but they are amazing quality, well designed and well built pieces of furniture. Expensive doesn't always equal rip off. I didn't buy one because I didn't want to pay that much for a high chair, and would t have used it past high chair phase, but as I said the ones my cousins have are still going strong 13-15 years later. They are amazing quality and I think where possible people should be buying things to last, not just to use and discard.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Alicia111  (02-02-2016),binnielici  (29-01-2016),emeraldsandsiamonds  (02-01-2016),Tamtam  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had three high chairs, for cleaning and price I loved my ikea one. I had to buy a padded proper one for my youngest as he had poor core control, but it was horrible to clean and big and cumbersome. We now have stokke high chairs, yes very expensive but my 5 & 3 yo will get years of use out of them and I wish I'd started with them.

If your child has any food/fussy eating issues I would go with the stokke or mocka, I've had two separate speech pathologists (who specialize in feeding) recommend them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shy For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Childcare fizz. Very similar to the IKEA one but has a 5 point harness not 3 pt like the IKEA one