+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Centrelink childcare rebate online estimator Q

So I just did the online estimator and triple checked it to see what our childcare fees would be and what we would still get in ftb if I was to return to work 2 days per week.

Childcare would be $80 a day ( after rebates) and before & after school care $13 a day ( after rebates) I know the exact full cost of centre ( $118 a day) and school care so I'm sure calculations are correct. So total $375ish fortnight in fees.

Combined income would be $75,000 a year. We would end up with around the same money after all the care fees and what we would lose in ftb so there's no point in me working.

Does this sound right? 😔 So disheartening.
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 02-01-2016 at 14:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah that does sound about right. This is where it's tricky for families! Do you want to get back into the workforce though, for further career opportunities or just because you miss it or would like to do something for yourself? Then I'd still consider it. I worked for not much extra $$ for a long time, just to keep my 'foot in the door' so to speak, and to stop myself from going crazy 😉. Though with all the running around I sometimes wanted to throw in the towel. Your kids won't always be childcare age and it will get easier.

Could you look at family day care to save on costs?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amcyus For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (02-01-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amcyus View Post
    Do you want to get back into the workforce though, for further career opportunities or just because you miss it or would like to do something for yourself? Then I'd still consider it. I worked for not much extra $$ for a long time, just to keep my 'foot in the door' so to speak, and to stop myself from going crazy 😉.
    This^^^

Also think about super - I know people tend to ignore it but it's worth thinking about.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK ta. Well if it was a little extra I might be more keen but its depressing to walk away with virtually nothing more. But yes money isn't the only reason. For my own sanity and to get a foot back in the door were valid reasons also.

I've been a sahm for 5 years already and if we were to wait till our youngest is in school it will be 8 years.

I was under the impression that FDC was similar in costs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm wondering if the online estimator includes the child care rebate or just child care benefit?

Anyone know?
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 02-01-2016 at 15:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It doesn't look right to me. Not 100% sure but CC rebate is based after ccb has been taken off. And your estimator appears to only have looked at ccb.

So if your daycare was $118/day then at maximim you'd pay $60/day with just ccr.

I think it's $80/day after ccb and then with ccr it will be $40/day. So $160/fortnight.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    It doesn't look right to me. Not 100% sure but CC rebate is based after ccb has been taken off. And your estimator appears to only have looked at ccb.

So if your daycare was $118/day then at maximim you'd pay $60/day with just ccr.

I think it's $80/day after ccb and then with ccr it will be $40/day. So $160/fortnight.
    I'll take a screenshot of estimate that may help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so one image is CCB and then I noticed there was a section at bottom of page about the CCR. So does that mean we get $90 a week CCR on out of pocket expenses?

Just making sure I'm reading this right.
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. It appears that you will get 50% back on that amount.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If that's the case it makes it worthwhile returning to work!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-01-2016)