+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was massaging mine, when he fed I would try to work the lump down, it hurt like hell but I did it, took a a week or so from memory (it was 5.5 years ago) the fever and actual pain subsided a few days into antibiotics.
    I didn't take any meds to help though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Unfortunately no and was hard as went from pumping 100mls over 15 mins to only 30 mls after

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelati View Post
    @Luanajo - eek yuk so many times. Did you get a fever each time. Poor thing you can say that again. It's awful - nature making bfing even harder for us. Luckily it didn't effect your supply but still feel for you for getting it so many times. I wished I had over supply but after mastitis I realise that had its own problems too. If only they made bfing easier. Were you ever on antibiotics?
    so sorry for the late reply hun, spent the day with MIL lol
    I did get a massive fever every time and was always put on antibiotics, 4 times i was that sick i couldnt even sit up without vomiting and had to pull my MIL out of workbecause i couldnt look after my son. Its a horrific thing to go through!! I really ihope your supply comes back asap and yoy can continue your bf journey! !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got mastitis four times in the first eight weeks of DS's life. Mine was due to bacteria getting into the the breast through nipple damage, not oversupply. The third and fourth times I got sick, my supply plummeted with the fever and the stress of being sick yet again. I got it back after the third time, but the fourth time it got so low I had to cave at 4am and give him his first bottle of formula as I was completely empty and feeling awful with the fever, and he was screaming with hunger. I think I probably would have been able to get it back after that too, but I decided to only feed off one side after that, and supplement with formula. Then when he was about 15 weeks old I got mastitis in the other breast and ditched BFing completely, as he was really only having the overnight feed and comfort sucks by that stage, day feeds were formula.

You should be able to get it back up with regular feeds, if you weren't having supply issues before that. Mastitis is the absolute pits, it's turned me off BFing completely and I'm not even sure I want to try BFing again next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mastitis is the pits, I had it about 6-7 times times in first 4-5 months with the full fever and sickness, horrid thing it is.

I found getting onto it early with the anti biotics helped, as well as trying to drink gallons of water. It's so hard when you have a small baby but trying to have 2 showers a day to get all get lumps out can also help your supply return. I've heard taking a probiotic can help too.

If you do get it back, I do know girls who had the ultrasound therapy to get rid of blockages and their supply came straight back. The fever and sickness can mess up your supply, if you can try and get plenty of rest (again which is hard with a baby).

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Nemmi1987 - i've been doing the same. It feels like it's gone down a bit today so hopefully it is and it's not just the neurofen tablets i'm taking. but i can still feel lumps. Did you see the actual lump of milk come out? i never seem to see it but my friends say when they work out the lump milk sprays everywhere.
    @Sariele - yep mastitis has turned me off it too and i'm just sick of having to build my supply up again everytime. It's just not doing my mental health any good. I just hope bubs can stomach the formula without getting too much gas or tummy troubles. I'll still breastfeed what i can but i've let go of the ideal of exclusively breastfeeding. THe anxiety it give me is just too awful.

Thanks @Clementine Grace. I'll definitely look into ulrasound therapy if i need to. I don't want this to come back for anything. I thot the cold was bad but mastitis is just a different level of bad

@wobblermummy - oh how awful for you. That really sux. How many weeks was little one when you got it? Did you end up going onto formula after that?
    @Luanajo - i hope so too but i've come to terms with it maybe never coming back to what it was and needing to top up with formula. The most important thing for me now is to get rid of the lump. I need to focus on that and not my supply as worrying about both is driving me crazy.

So on day 5 of meds today and supply still hasn't returned back to what it was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope never a lump of milk just eased the pressure

I had milder versions a few times but was aware and actively started preventative measures so didn't get full blown mastitis the next few times

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got mastitis twice, once when DS was 7 weeks and then a week later on the opposite side, I was still being treated with antibiotics for the first bout but for whatever reason I managed to get it again. It killed my supply and I had so much milk before that! I ended up mix feeding from 8-12weeks. Did a really full on regime of breast feeding DS as much as he would take from each breast, then topping him up with formula as much as he wanted, then pumping for 15 mins.......every 3-4 hours and this went on for 2 weeks or more. I got my supply back but DS decided it was much easier to take it from a bottle. I was just so exhausted and didn't want to express and put it in a bottle as well so around the 12 week mark I made the decision to wean, by 16 weeks he was exclusively formula fed, it was the best decision for us. DS was full and happy and i was less tired lol. I was happy breast feeding but when I got the mastitis and things got so hard it was just exhausting. Hope things work out for you guys!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I used ultrasound therapy for the second bout and it definitely worked well! All the lumps and redness cleared much faster than the first time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been massaging religiously today and think it's getting better but it's still a bit hard and a little tender. Tmr is my last day of antibiotics. I'm not sure it'll be completely healed by then.

Thanks @Sweetcheeks1. Who would have thot even getting to 12 weeks of breastfeeding would feel like an uphill climb. Here I thot yeh 6 months but now that seems so far away.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gelati For This Useful Post:

Sweetcheeks1  (03-01-2016)