+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New to Newcastle- desperate for advice!

Hi, I'm moving to Newcastle from the UK in a couple of weeks with my husband and 5 month old daughter. I'm desperate for any help and advice that anyone out there might have. How do I meet other mums in the area and find out about any activities and baby groups? Also, husband is working at the hospital and we will only have one car between us. Can anyone advise whether we should live by the hospital so that he can walk and I can have the car or if we are better off living more centrally and I rely on public transport? Any help and advice would be extremely welcome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi there

I live in the Newcastle area.

I think the best way to make new friends would be to join some local play groups. You should easily be able to find some online once you settle in.

As for having one car, I think you'd be best to live close to the hospital so your husband can walk or catch a bus to work then you can have the car. Newcastle is very spread out, so I do think you'll need one.

New Lambton (where the hospital is) is one of the better suburbs in Newcastle, so I think you'd be happy around there.

Happy to answer further questions! I personally love living here - it has a great balance of everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    There are some great mum fb groups you can join and we have regular meet ups

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm from Newcastle too! I agree with pp that it would be good to live close to the hospital so your DH can get public transport. New Lambton is beautiful but lots of the local bus routes go to the hospital so you could look for somewhere a bit further that is on a bus route. Newcastle is beautiful! The people are fairly laid back and we have such beautiful beaches and bush!

Thanks
    Reviews
    With one car, I'd be looking closer to the hospital too. It is really quite spread out, and public transport in Newcastle can be a bit tricky to do with a pram. You'd be relying mostly on buses, as the train line is pretty limited, and doesn't go anywhere near the John Hunter Hospital in New Lambton. There is a train station closer to the Mater Hospital, but I think it would still be a bit of a hike (I've never had to walk it!).

Which suburbs were you thinking? We can probably give you some pros and cons for them.

Living "centrally" to Newcastle itself may not actually afford you any extra benefits, except for being closer to the beach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your help and advice ladies! We were definitely more inclined towards living near the hospital so its reassuring to hear that you all agree and that New Lambton is a nice area Getting excited now about Newcastle, it sounds like a lovely place!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Newcastle is great. I hope you love it as much as we all do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to live in Newcastle and I miss it so so much. You will LOVE it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are buses from almost all around Newcastle to the hospital. The closest train station is Cardiff, about 10 min drive. You'll need an opal card to use on public transport, it can be used on all buses, ferries and trains. It ends up costing less than paying the bus driver http://opal.com.au They're only about 5$ and you can top them up at most newsagencies or online.
    The bus from cardiff station to john hunter hospital is 363, takes about 10 mins, comes fairly regularly. this is a good site for transport http://transportnsw.info/ http://www.newcastlebuses.info/ http://www.sydneytrains.info/ also includes newcastle trains and can be downloaded.

Elermore Vale is also fairly close to JHH, it's a nice area. So is cardiff Heights, cardiff north, new lambton heights. Wallsend, if you consider it, has some nice areas, the newer houses would be better, it tends to flood during heavy storms near the shops area and im not sure where else.