+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noty View Post
    I think I'm going to be that annoying mature age student who gets special treatment because I've got kids :-P
    I haven't done a masters in audiology so it might be different, but don't expect special treatment because you have kids (unless you know first hand you will get special treatment), or else you might find yourself bitterly disappointed. In my experience, the fact you have kids means diddly squat. It's adult learning, so usually everyone has something going on in their lives that makes studying a challenge, it's up to the individual to work around those challenges.

Good luck to everyone starting their studies this year. It's really hard going at times, and you can have all the best plans and best intentions but somehow you still end up going to bed for 4 hours and writing assignments at 2am because it's quiet and you won't be interrupted. Well that was my experience anyway...but you survive and get through it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've made a late application for a Bachelor of Laws at 3 different unis.. My ranking should get me there but only just so if it changes for late offer rounds I may miss out. My back up is a bachelor of Justice, I'm not adverse to doing a year (or equivalent as I plan on studying part time for now) of another degree to get there. I'm not overly nervous just because I will only be doing 1-2 subjects to begin with, I have a 4yo in kindy & 1yo in daycare 2 days per week. Fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm doing four Humanaties Pathway units through Open Universities; before hopefully going on to do a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Sociology, and Society & Culture with Macquarie University through Open Universities. Not starting until Semester 2 though.

First semester I will be doing a Bookkeeping for Jobseekers course online through TAFE, which will focus on stuff like BAS, the MYOB program, and Accounts Payable and Receivable.
    Last edited by Catzilla; 01-02-2016 at 17:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I haven't done a masters in audiology so it might be different, but don't expect special treatment because you have kids (unless you know first hand you will get special treatment), or else you might find yourself bitterly disappointed. In my experience, the fact you have kids means diddly squat. It's adult learning, so usually everyone has something going on in their lives that makes studying a challenge, it's up to the individual to work around those challenges.
    In my course those with medical issues or carer responsibilities get to stay close to home for our clinic placements (well they don't guarantee but they try). The other students can be sent anywhere in the country for up to 2 weeks at a time. The head of discipline also told me I should be able to get an early practical class as the later ones would finish after daycare closes. I have to do a stat dec.

I'm STILL waiting to hear if I got credit for the research component of my course. Fingers and toes crossed! I've already got the first lecture notes for 2 of my courses and today I printed out some of my assignment cover sheets. Trying to get as organised as I can. 22 months till I'm an (intern) audiologist!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Returning to study

I will be starting Diploma in Nursing over Bachelor of Nursing. I got into both but want a job change sooner rather than later.

After I start as an EN I will finish at Uni to become an RN. I hope to work in the mental health area of nursing. Start early March.

Tossing up between FT and PT. I wanted it out of the way so when I moved rurally a month ago I was going to study FT but renting for the 1st time in 20yrs I have decided I need to build 1st as I need a better layed out house if my Mother and sister are going to be living with me, to small a plave for myself and my 3 kids and them too.

So I need to keep showing earnings from work of which I have been using long service leave from at present. I was just going to work casually and study.
    I so wanted to study FT then resume working. Not sure I can manage to do FT study and PT work.
    Time will tell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive just started a course in Aged care. Its something ive always wanted to do. Now that both my kids are in full time school I finally have the time to do it.

Its been full on, I'm at tafe 3 days a week 9-4 so DH has re-arranged his work roster so he can do school pick up and I have an amazing network of school mums who take them to school on tafe days.

All of a sudden I have to get everything done in two days rather than 5. Dh is taking on more domestic duties like cooking and cleaning which is new to him too. So far hes be amazingly supportive. There so many reasons this would be too hard to juggle but he has said go for it.

Biggest thing was, last week I missed DD getting a certificate at school...first time ive not been there. That was hard. A friend stayed and took a photo and sent it to me while I was a school. Started to well up in class hehehe. I'm so lucky to have amazing friends.

Loving the course so far.

At the end of the course I have to do 120 hours of prac, which means 4 weeks, 7-3, 5 days a week. No idea how that's gonna work but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it hehehe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in my 3rd week of my diploma in Community Services - Case management. I completed my cert III & IV last year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lost In The Fifties~ View Post
    I'm in my 3rd week of my diploma in Community Services - Case management. I completed my cert III & IV last year.
    What does this course involve exactly, is it similar to social work?