+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Returning to study in 2016??

So I have a Marketing degree which I completed in 2003 (and hated every minute of it - the study that is not being at Uni ) and now I've applied to study a Cert IV in Interior Decoration and I find out next week if I have a place.

I'm really looking forward to learning all things interior decorating and having something that's just for me. Something I can do in my spare time aside from being on BubHub! Haha 😜

So is anyone else starting a new certificate, diploma, degree or short course in 2016? What is it? How do you feel about studying, especially if you already have kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I already have a PhD (science) but am enrolling in a Masters of Audiology. I have 2 kids and I'm planning to keep working part time! I have applied for credit as 25% of the program is research but I might not get it as my PhD was awarded more than 7 years ago.

I am looking forward to it though. I already have a bit of prep to do (background reading, first aid course etc). Although it is going to be busy it will go so fast. In 23 months from now I will be an (intern) audiologist! It'll be nice to have an actual profession and some job security and the ability to work where I want (I don't have those things now as a scientist).

I think I'm going to be that annoying mature age student who gets special treatment because I've got kids :-P

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i want to do my diploma in ecec but am unsure, its pretty full on and I now have my kiddies 24/7, the bigger one will be at school so its jut me and the 2 year old

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemmi1987 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I will be but not until semester 2! Do u want to work after your course? Or are u just doing it for fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've just started my Bachelor of Human Services. I started with just one subject, online, to see how I went. I work 3 days a week and have a 2.5yo. So at the moment he goes to daycare for an extra day each week, which I use to study, and I also do some study while he naps on the days he's home.

Still trying to find a balance between DS, work, housework, time with DH and study....its a bit of a struggle at the moment, but I'm sure once I'm in a routine it'll get easier.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-01-2016),Kimmmm  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm starting a Bachelor of Nursing FT in March. I'm ridiculously scared and worried about it. DS1 starts school this year and DS2 will be in daycare. I'm not worried about the content (well, no more worried than a regular student would be), my concerns are around placements and how that's going to work with school etc. I've already got a degree in business management / psychology and have done a few subjects through open universities (I was accepted into a bachelor of arts through Griffith) so study isn't new to me. But the juggling.....I worry so much about the juggling. But DH keeps saying we'll work it out so, I guess we'll just work it out.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-01-2016),Kimmmm  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's so exciting for you! I've been thinking seriously about further study as well. Just not sure what yet!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimmmm For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Starting graduate diploma in midwifery this month, currently a Registered Nurse with Batchelor Degree in Adult Nursing and Batchelor of Arts in Interior Design obtained 1999. I'm so excited to be beginning something new and something that I believe I can truly be good at, but nervous because I'm now 36 and all my previous study was done in the UK!
    We are recruiting an aupair as I can see no other way through the shiftwork and study with a toddler & spouse that works full time, but we'll get there.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Papillon For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just enrolled in my BAS agents registration course, I have a masters in commerce but am looking to branch out into my own small bookkeeping business so need the agents skill set. I'm not looking forward to more study, partly because I'm afraid I'll get the taste for it again and do more which DH doesn't want me to but also for the work load and juggling my current job and two kids.

Good luck to all Hubbers studying.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I'm so glad there's a lot of us starting study this year. Sounds like we all have the same concerns around juggling the study and work and family, so once we all start if we have any tips to share, that would be really helpful.

Monnie I'm studying it for a job and for fun. I wanted to do it straight after high school actually but my parents were paying for us to do tertiary study but not if we went to TAFE (yep, my controlling father was only going to pay for Uni and because TAFE was up front payments... I went to Uni). What are you thinking of studying? Are you still moving from SA?