+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clb84 View Post
    I eat goats cheese in salads cold or on toast with tomorrow nearly every day!
    I wouldn't stress.
    Good to know! Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by clb84 View Post
    I eat goats cheese in salads cold or on toast with tomorrow nearly every day!
    I wouldn't stress.
    feta or chèvre?

as far as I'm aware both are considered soft cheeses and not on the safe list. great that you've had no issues, but I would recommend avoiding during pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Feta is actually fine to eat as long as it's pasteurised as far as my research tells me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was told that as long as it is cooked it's ok. I ate it cooked in things all the way along my pregnancy. It's scary though when you accidentally eat something you're not sure is ok or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky27 View Post
    I was told that as long as it is cooked it's ok. I ate it cooked in things all the way along my pregnancy. It's scary though when you accidentally eat something you're not sure is ok or not.
    Yeah my Google search suggests the same. Thanks.
    It is when I'm trying to be so careful! I can officially day baby is due next month so that's exciting. Have tried to enjoy this pregnancy and have most of the time, but will be glad when I can see and hold bubs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found these to be the best documents for explaining what is safe/unsafe to eat and why certain foods are a listeriosis risk;
    http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/...y_brochure.pdf

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/..._pregnancy.pdf

Any soft or semi soft cheese needs to be heated above 75 degrees to be considered safe.

OP please don't freak out - the cheese was cooked. BUT do arm yourself with the correct information about what is safe/unsafe and make a considered decision about what to consume based on accurate information.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ate heaps of stuff that I'm not supposed to when I was pregnant (without knowing til after that I wasn't supposed to eat it) my baby is fine. I think it's good to be careful (and I will be more careful next time) but I wouldn't dwell on something you've already eaten because sometimes I think they get carried away with what we can and can't eat etc

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jane17031703 For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Goats cheese

It's nothing to do with being goat other than some of the goats cheeses aren't pasteurised which is a problem. But heat pasteurises anyway....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    It's nothing to do with being goat other than some of the goats cheeses aren't pasteurised which is a problem. But heat pasteurises anyway....
    All cheese goat or cow is pasteurised in Australia by law.

But yes if it's cooked it's fine regardless. And even if it cools down to lukewarm its not enough time to grow listeria. Don't stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Ah! Ate goats cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    All cheese goat or cow is pasteurised in Australia by law.

But yes if it's cooked it's fine regardless. And even if it cools down to lukewarm its not enough time to grow listeria. Don't stress.
    This is true but listeria is still a risk. Jindi cheese had an outbreak in early 2013 linked to a miscarriage and three deaths. It's more rare in Australia but still a risk.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-0...cheese/4510440

http://theconversation.com/understan...e-recall-12213

Eta: OP, I think because it was cooked and you ate it fairly soon after it is fine, there would have been no time for bacteria to reproduce.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 05-01-2016 at 17:52.