+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    They accept anyone with a referral, but not sure for how much longer, they are overrun since the word is out about private rooms etc! Know people from Caboolture who have been booked in there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But, if u have insurance it shouldn't cost 6k to go private, more like 2-2.5 for some Drs I know....gets u an experienced dr and a long stay in hosp if needed, which is imp esp if Bub doesn't feed well. Or if u have a complication, nice to know the dr is experienced....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crt22 View Post
    Yes, I wanted to avoid Logan if I could !!

We had our last baby at Greenslopes and I just personally cant justify spending another $6K+ on going private again. Whilst it was an amazing experience, I'd prefer going public again.

Thanks for your input
    Wow how did it cost you that much? I've now had 2 there and my total cost have not been anywhere near that.

I thought most of the oby were around the 2.5k mark for 1st time. Even with the most expensive pead costs, anaesthetist fees and appointment costs I don't see where the other 3.5k came from, unless it was from your phi. Sorry if that seems blunt as I think we were out of pocket just under 2k this time, ( some of the oby do a 50% discount for 2nd time. )

I don't count the fees we pay to phi as we would have that level no matter what.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in Springwood and got into Redlands no problems as well. This was in 2012 though. They can't do the home visits after you leave though but the do call you to make sure you are going ok. I too had an excellent experience with them, had to have an emergency c-section as well and they were all brilliant. I have just had my second but choose to go private with her, if I didn't have the cover I would of definitely gone back to Redlands with no hesitation. Oh and I just asked my GP and she gave me the referral too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    But, if u have insurance it shouldn't cost 6k to go private, more like 2-2.5 for some Drs I know....gets u an experienced dr and a long stay in hosp if needed, which is imp esp if Bub doesn't feed well. Or if u have a complication, nice to know the dr is experienced....
    PHI premiums for us are an extra $1K, hospital excess of $500, PMF $2700, Scans $200 x 2, Paed $300, anaesthetist $700, consults $60 per consult......

I've found out that my ob extends a 30% discount for second time, but even with the discount, I calculate it to be $4K.... ?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    PHI premiums for us are an extra $1K, hospital excess of $500, PMF $2700, Scans $200 x 2, Paed $300, anaesthetist $700, consults $60 per consult......

I've found out that my ob extends a 30% discount for second time, but even with the discount, I calculate it to be $4K.... ?!
    FYI Scans still cost you in public.

Do you mind me asking if anaesthetist was due to c section or after hours? Mine epi was in business hours and wasn't that high

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    FYI Scans still cost you in public.

Do you mind me asking if anaesthetist was due to c section or after hours? Mine epi was in business hours and wasn't that high
    Absolutely scans still cost in public, however we also had a genetic consultant speak with us after one of the scans which was $300.00.

C section and within hours (9am).......

Any tips to only outlay $2K would be great, as I'd go private if we could get away with it for that!

Thanks
    Reviews

Absolutely scans still cost in public, however we also had a genetic consultant speak with us after one of the scans which was $300.00.

C section and within hours (9am).......

Any tips to only outlay $2K would be great, as I'd go private if we could get away with it for that!
    I didn't have C section ( or any pain relief 2nd time) so saved there

Pead we just went GP for 6 week check up

We don't include the difference between lower premium as we prefer the higher cover

Our excess is $250

Pmf after Medicare rebate was around $1000 ( repeat customer discount)

Const were around $60 but Medicare refunded most so it was like $1 out of pocket.

Scans would cost the same public or private

Ways to save: can you pick a no gap anaesthetist? Sorry not sure on that side of things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I didn't have C section ( or any pain relief 2nd time) so saved there

Pead we just went GP for 6 week check up

We don't include the difference between lower premium as we prefer the higher cover

Our excess is $250

Pmf after Medicare rebate was around $1000 ( repeat customer discount)

Const were around $60 but Medicare refunded most so it was like $1 out of pocket.

Scans would cost the same public or private

Ways to save: can you pick a no gap anaesthetist? Sorry not sure on that side of things.
    Maybe that's the diff with the ana?

I went to the ob for my 6 week check up.....

We do it include the higher premiums as its not a cover we usually have (as in pregnancy cover).

Just had a look at my Medicare claims history after the medicare rebate we paid $2316 for the PMF.

I guess it all depends upon if you exhaust the safety net in the calendar year.

Scans public were $200 for us with DD1, whereas our ob referred us to another provider who were $300 for DD2.

Which fund are you with ? Maybe they cover more ? I'm with BUPA !