Support for parents who partners work away | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Support for parents who partners work away

Hi, thought I'd start a thread for those who have partners who work away. It's tough sometimes and having others to talk to who understand would be good.

My DP works away usually for 5 weeks at a time but sometimes longer.

Who else's partner works away? What tips do you have for staying sane?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahhh how do I change the title? The first 'partners' is meant to be 'parents'....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I reported it to the mods for help for you

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (31-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DH has been working away since August. Gets home a few days a month and it has been pretty tough.

We have just had 2 weeks holiday all together (we have a 2 year old DD) and it has been so great, I'm dreading him heading away on Monday.

Would love to chat to others who understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to be one. But as of this month dh and I are back under one roof after living interstate from each other for the past two years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (01-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH isn't away full time but often goes to work in the early hours and gets home late and never gets to see the kids. I often parent solo for weeks at a time.
    How do others juggle DH getting rest and downtime versus spending time with the kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find the hardest time is the first few days after DP goes back to work. His two boys also then go back to their mum's so the household goes from a family of five to me and a baby.

DD gets really upset too, and she's only 6 months old! The first couple of times he left since DD was born the adjustment was just in my part but when DD was 4 months she got upset for a day and this time she cried for two days and wouldn't let me out of sight. She also wouldn't sleep in her cot so it was back to co-sleeping after all the effort we out into transitioning her into her cot. I'm guessing it's going to worse the older she gets!? It's heartbreaking. She's def a daddy's girl and misses him like crazy.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Support for parents who partners work away

DF is fifo and had been since before I met him. He's used to it where as its all new to me (well nearly 2yrs of it now anyway).
    Does anyone else find they get angry at their partner the first few days after they leave? I know it irrational and I try not to take it out on him, instead I tend to withdraw and go very quiet, because it's not fair of me to do so. I knew what he did when I met him. I just don't find it getting any easier I guess...

He is at the end of his first swing back after long service leave so we had 10wks together and my boys and I moved into his house. So it's the first time I've been alone here since the move, I'm in a totally new area, new schools etc. It's been pretty tough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is tough. What is the length of his swing?

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only 2/1 so I feel silly complaining really. I don't know how people do 4/1 or more. It's strange though as I spent almost 5yrs single before we met so it's not like I'm not used to being home alone lol.